Turn Off Ads?

Thread: San Diego Expects To Implement Season Ticket Sales Cap

San Diego Expects To Implement Season Ticket Sales Cap

Your small market team: We cannot survive without financial flexibility. We can’t spend what the big-market teams do.

San Diego: We’re selling so many season tickets that we’re gonna put a limit on ‘em.

Padres expect to cap season-ticket sales in 2023.

Surging fan interest in the Padres, accelerated by trade-deadline moves that included the addition of 23-year-old superstar Juan Soto, is expected to cause the franchise to implement the first season-ticket-sales cap in history.

“The fan response has been exceptional,” Greupner said. “Right now, people are realizing, I don’t want to be on the outside looking in.”

The reason for a cap is three-fold, Greupner said. Since not all fans can afford to buy packages of at least 20 games, the team wants to hold back enough seats for single-game sales. Limiting season-long sales also would maintain enough inventory for big groups.

Another factor is maximizing revenue, since the team’s payroll is on track to blow past Major League Baseball’s luxury-tax threshold for a second consecutive season. Single-game tickets are sold at full price, while season tickets come with discounts.
    Story: https://bit.ly/3d1efnn #Padres
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 08-04-2022 at 10:13 PM.

2. Likes:

wlf WV (08-05-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: San Diego Expects To Implement Season Ticket Sales Cap

if the weather wasn't so awful, i'd move to san diego and root for the padres.

/s

5. Likes:

CySeymour (08-05-2022),M2 (08-04-2022),marcshoe (08-04-2022),Revering4Blue (08-04-2022),RiverRat13 (08-05-2022),SomeCallMeTim (08-05-2022),wlf WV (08-05-2022)

Power of switching back to the Brown/Mustard.
    Go Gators!

7. Likes:

bm1475 (08-04-2022),Old school 1983 (08-04-2022),Revering4Blue (08-04-2022),Wonderful Monds (08-04-2022)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    if the weather wasn't so awful, i'd move to san diego and root for the padres.

/s
    I moved there for a couple years back in the 80's. I didn't know that constant blue skies and sunshine can be depressing for an Ohio boy.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Sounds like one of those good problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Smaller market teams can’t compete so they are making a huge mistake.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (08-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Smaller market teams can’t compete so they are making a huge mistake.
    I am happy for Padres fans, but Preller makes huge splashes every offseason and trade deadline and they haven't won diddly doo yet. Not talking about the small market thing, just an observation.

I do not trust their rotation for a postseason run.

If they do not win a WS and Soto moves on when he hits FA, hoooo boy did they just mortgage the future. They gave up an absolute ton for him.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I am happy for Padres fans, but Preller makes huge splashes every offseason and trade deadline and they haven't won diddly doo yet. Not talking about the small market thing, just an observation.

I do not trust their rotation for a postseason run.

If they do not win a WS and Soto moves on when he hits FA, hoooo boy did they just mortgage the future. They gave up an absolute ton for him.
    This x2. Elite pitching will neutralize elite hitting.

They were showing game 1 of the 1988 WS in honor of Vin Scully. How was it possible that the Dodgers and Reds beat that A's team 2 out of 3 years? Pitching.

I'd love those 4 SD guys in my lineup to, but they still have to prevent more than they score. If you have a true ace that can pitch 2 or 3 games in a 7 game series, any team has a chance.

14. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (08-05-2022),wlf WV (08-05-2022)

That's why I'd always draft excessively heavy on pitchers .
    May the Lord bless

The Angels drafted all pitchers a year ago? The Pads should do the same.

The Reds should also draft all catchers.

Turn Off Ads?