Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost in all the trade deadline madness this week, the Reds acquired Austin Romine

Re: Lost in all the trade deadline madness this week, the Reds acquired Austin Romine

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Guy might be my new hero:

Averaging 40 games a year.

Got his pension.

Edit: just checked and he has 8 years of service time, so no pension yet. Bummer.
    He aspires to be Greg Myers

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lost in all the trade deadline madness this week, the Reds acquired Austin Romine

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I was thinking Paul Bako or Chad Moeller.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

4. Likes:

westofyou (08-05-2022)

C Austin Romine becomes the 30th player this season to make his Reds debut.

Reds debuts this season:

3 Albert Almora, of
    4 Matt Reynolds, inf-of
    7 Donovan Solano, 3b-2b
    16 Colin Moran, 1b-3b
    21 Hunter Greene, rhp
    22 Brandon Drury, 3b-2b
    26 Michael Papierski, c
    27 Jake Fraley, of
    28 Tommy Pham, of
    28 Austin Romine, c
    31 Mike Minor, lhp
    33 Aramis Garcia, c
    40 Nick Lodolo, lhp
    41 Daniel Duarte, rhp
    43 Alexis Diaz, rhp
    46 Buck Farmer, rhp
    47 Mark Koloszvary, c
    51 Graham Ashcraft, rhp
    54 Hunter Strickland, rhp
    57 J.T. Riddle, ss-3b
    57 Stuart Fairchild, of
    63 Phillip Diehl, lhp
    71 Connor Overton, rhp
    72 Chris Okey, c
    75 Ross Detwiler, lhp
    76 Robert Dugger, rhp
    79 Ian Gibaut, rhp
    82 Ronnie Dawson, of
    84 Jared Solomon, rhp
    94 Taylor Motter, 3b-2b

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    but then they optioned Kolos and kept Papierski, when it should have been the other way around. Papierski is useless.
    I agree, Tom. My eye test says that he is not very good at baseball(in any aspect).
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Yep, but at this point two guys who can catch the ball would be nice. Not sure when Garcia comes back but a Romine / Garcia tandem will be better than the last few weeks
    I was hoping they would pick him up when I saw Romine was DFA'd. Hopefully he can bring some consistency and stability back there.

Anyone have any idea how he rates in pitch framing?
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Romine will be, if my count is correct, the 6th catcher the Reds have used in the bigs this year.
    This got me curious so I looked it up, the last time the Reds used 6 was in 1992, and it's not even comparable because Joe Oliver caught in 141 games that year. The others were Troy Afenir (15 to end his MLB career), Rick Wrona (10), Dan Wilson (9 in his big league debut season), Jeff Reed (6) and Scott Bradley, who I have no memory of whatsoever as a Red making the final 2 catching appearances of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    This got me curious so I looked it up, the last time the Reds used 6 was in 1992, and it's not even comparable because Joe Oliver caught in 141 games that year. The others were Troy Afenir (15 to end his MLB career), Rick Wrona (10), Dan Wilson (9 in his big league debut season), Jeff Reed (6) and Scott Bradley, who I have no memory of whatsoever as a Red making the final 2 catching appearances of his career.
    I remember that season. Joe Oliver was ridden hard that year. I think Jeff Reed suffered a season-ending injury early in the season. I also remember all of those other guys -- even Bradley. Obviously, Wilson had the most talent, but he wasn't ready. Afenir was probably the closest to being a suitable major-league reserve. But there's a reason why Oliver caught 141 games (137 starts).
    Last edited by Big Klu; 08-08-2022 at 12:13 AM.

Bumping this back up because if Chuckie Robinson gets behind the plate tonight it'll be the first time since 1909 that the Reds used 7 catchers in one season. The 1909 team used 8, including Tom Downey, who played 120 games at SS and 1 at catcher for some reason. No other team has used 7, but there were a few others who used 6: 1877 (a 58 game season where nobody caught more than 20), 1895, 1925 (which included someone named Astyanax Douglass), 1937, 1961 and most bizarrely 1963, when Johnny Edwards caught in 148 games and yet they still found time to use 5 other catchers.

11. Likes:

westofyou (08-11-2022)

Bumping this back up because if Chuckie Robinson gets behind the plate tonight it'll be the first time since 1909 that the Reds used 7 catchers in one season. The 1909 team used 8, including Tom Downey, who played 120 games at SS and 1 at catcher for some reason. No other team has used 7, but there were a few others who used 6: 1877 (a 58 game season where nobody caught more than 20), 1895, 1925 (which included someone named Astyanax Douglass), 1937, 1961 and most bizarrely 1963, when Johnny Edwards caught in 148 games and yet they still found time to use 5 other catchers.
    Reds need to lead the league in something. Why not catchers used?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

They set themselves up for it in 61 when they traded Bailey early in the season when they had no firm backup. In fact that year they had eventual replacements at SS and Catcher for the next five seasons but had to try and rush them to fit in the holes they had created with trades

14. Likes:

HokieRed (08-11-2022)

They set themselves up for it in 61 when they traded Bailey early in the season when they had no firm backup. In fact that year they had eventual replacements at SS and Catcher for the next five seasons but had to try and rush them to fit in the holes they had created with trades
    IIRC part of what happened is that Don Pavletich, whom they'd been very high on, just never really developed quite as they had hoped. The Bailey trade is witness too to just how bad they were at 2b. Blasingame was ok, but, weighed overall, Bailey for Blasingame was a really bad deal. IMHO, Bailey's much underrated in Reds' lore.

16. Likes:

westofyou (08-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    IIRC part of what happened is that Don Pavletich, whom they'd been very high on, just never really developed quite as they had hoped. The Bailey trade is witness too to just how bad they were at 2b. Blasingame was ok, but, weighed overall, Bailey for Blasingame was a really bad deal. IMHO, Bailey's much underrated in Reds' lore.
    Blasingame was Hutches want is my guess, played for him in St Louis. Additionally Bailey had just turned 30 and DeWitt executed a Rickey move of moving the guy bat that certain age. Bailey's time as a FT catcher was ending and paired with Edwards would have been a nice combo for a few years.

18. Likes:

HokieRed (08-11-2022)

I suspect you're right on Blasingame. Bailey did go on to put up some very good numbers in SF and one obstacle to the Bailey-Edwards combo was that both hit lefthanded. (Imagine that, 2 competent LH catchers on one team!) There was also a lot of anticipatory local fan excitement about Edwards as an Ohio State guy. There was a lot of local sentiment in favor of Edwards.

This is such an awesome career. This man lived a perfect life.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?