Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Levi Stoudt

Levi Stoudt

Here's a quick look at Levi Stoudt from Wednesday's game.

2. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (08-05-2022),HammerTime (08-05-2022),Kingspoint (08-05-2022),Old school 1983 (08-05-2022),RedTeamGo! (08-05-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Levi Stoudt

Fastball in the mid-90s and a wipe-out slider. Looks like a relatively high end relief arm, at least.

5. Likes:

Marc D (08-05-2022),Mitri (08-05-2022)

I think this guy could be the steal of the deadline. If he can command his fastball up in the zone, he has all the secondary offerings to make it work. Hope to see him perform well over the next couple months with the Reds and perhaps be a dark horse candidate to fill out the rotation coming out of ST next year.

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    I think this guy could be the steal of the deadline. If he can command his fastball up in the zone, he has all the secondary offerings to make it work. Hope to see him perform well over the next couple months with the Reds and perhaps be a dark horse candidate to fill out the rotation coming out of ST next year.
    I like him more than Phillips or Williamson so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I like him more than Phillips or Williamson so far.
    I would tend to agree. The results haven’t been perfect this year, but the underlying numbers are still sound (8.6K/9 and 2.2BB/9). Solid frame and 3 plus pitches.

10. Likes:

mth123 (08-05-2022),Old school 1983 (08-05-2022)

Folks forget that Stoudt had TJ surgery right after the 2019 draft and didn’t pitch during the non-2020 season. So he basically has only pitched 1.5 seasons since his return. His command should return as he continues to sharpen his skills since his return from surgery.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

12. Likes:

icehole3 (08-05-2022),Old school 1983 (08-05-2022),UKFlounder (08-05-2022)

He's pretty animated. Likes to have fun. Love rooting for a guy like that.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    I would tend to agree. The results haven’t been perfect this year, but the underlying numbers are still sound (8.6K/9 and 2.2BB/9). Solid frame and 3 plus pitches.
    8.6 K rate at AA suggests a meaningful reliever risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If he can dial it up and around 100 and has a plus offspeed pitch, sign me up for Stoudt as a relief arm.

The Reds need those guys. Badly.

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-07-2022),Marc D (08-07-2022),wolfboy (08-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    If he can dial it up and around 100 and has a plus offspeed pitch, sign me up for Stoudt as a relief arm.

The Reds need those guys. Badly.
    If you think about how many minor league pitchers they looked at to try to include in the trades last week, yet Stoudt was one that they coveted highly enough to accept. They didn't take many, perhaps because as future trade assets, hitters are more reliable to maintain their value two to three years down the line than pitchers are. They must feel after scouting him that Stoudt is close to a sure thing for them to go after him as a piece in these trades. They had their choice of dozens of others, yet this is who they went with.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Yes, we know from FCB that if a pitcher cannot hit 9.5% in the minors he's destined for relief, much like Cueto and Castillo.

20. Likes:

757690 (08-08-2022),Bourgeois Zee (08-08-2022),HokieRed (08-10-2022),Old school 1983 (08-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Yes, we know from FCB that if a pitcher cannot hit 9.5% in the minors he's destined for relief, much like Cueto and Castillo.
    Every pitching prospect is bullpen or whatever to him.

I'm hopeful with Stoudt. Plus Fastball and Plus change-up with an above average slider. That is a starting pitcher profile. Time will tell how much he can command his stuff, but I'm hoping for a competent mid to back-end starter with this acquisition. Personally, I think it's a better profile than somebody like Brandon Williamson who is ranked higher but has 2 plus pitches with everything else being average. Williamson gets a bump for being a lefty and I hope his results match his prospect status, but I prefer the guy with 3 above average pitches as a rotation alternative.

Without command and control, a pitcher won't be effective no matter what the rest of his profile looks like. That is where Stoudt comes into question from what I read.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

Without command and control, a pitcher won't be effective no matter what the rest of his profile looks like. That is where Stoudt comes into question from what I read.
    IMO, command is necessary for starters. Relievers can get away with control only.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Every pitching prospect is bullpen or whatever to him.
    Reminds me of those great Atlanta teams in the 90's led by that trio of relievers Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine, who were all relegated to the FCB bullpen for failure to come close to that 9.5 standard.

25. Likes:

OGB (08-09-2022),Old school 1983 (08-08-2022)

Turn Off Ads?