Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene to IL with Right Shoulder Strain

Re: Hunter Greene to IL with Right Shoulder Strain

Greene last few starts have been solid. I like him ending the season on a high note, with confidence in his ability. I would shut him down for the season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

How does he build up his innings, if he doesn't build up his innings?

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-08-2022),mth123 (08-06-2022),SirFelixCat (08-07-2022)

If Greene is shut down for the season, how many innings will limited to next year?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (08-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Personally, I think that’s an inexact science. I don’t think it will be a problem for him to go. from 106 IP to 140 next season, instead of fro 120 to 140. But if the Reds think that is an issue, they can have him throw on the side the rest of the season.

If they don’t like that option, and think he needs to get to 120 innings, than of course, he should come back to get those innings. I just don’t think it’s that big of a deal.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

8. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-07-2022)

Moving levels and matching last years innings is building is it not? Better hitters faced, more pressure, more pitch patterns needed, less success.

He’s not a draft horse, he’s progressing despite surface numbers

10. Likes:

HokieRed (08-07-2022),Kingspoint (08-07-2022),membengal (08-06-2022),mth123 (08-06-2022),Ron Madden (08-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Moving levels and matching last years innings is building is it not? Better hitters faced, more pressure, more pitch patterns needed, less success.

He’s not a draft horse, he’s progressing despite surface numbers
    Agree. As for next season, I doubt it’ll be a playoff year, whatever innings load he can handle will be fine.

Hunter turned 23 today, still a young pitcher, if his season is over he did well, looking forward to watching him pitch for years to come.

12. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-07-2022),Ron Madden (08-07-2022)

You don't mess around with shoulder issues. They can fix arm injuries now, for the most part, but shoulders are a whole different thing.

14. Likes:

JFLegal (08-07-2022),mth123 (08-07-2022),Old school 1983 (08-07-2022)

hopefully this is minor like the one mahle had. fingers crossed.

He will be built up to 200 innings by the time he is ready to be traded for some young prospects

17. Likes:

REDREAD (08-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Rotoworld:

“Hunter Greene (shoulder) underwent an MRI on Saturday. There will be no surgery required but there is no timetable for his return.”

Yikes. While it is great to see surgery is not required, hearing there is no timetable set for his return is concerning, especially with the Reds sitting in fourth place in the NL Central. The 23-year-old flamethrower was having a rollercoaster season with a 5.26 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, and 127/41 K/BB ratio. Since the Reds are not in the playoff hunt, the team is going to take it nice and slow with the phenom.
    Well, we are not out of the woods yet.
    We've heard this story before.. "Just needs rest"
    Then right before the next season starts "well, rest didn't fix it, time for surgery"
    I'm not saying Greene needs surgery, I am just saying that Reds press release does not make me feel any better. (IMO, all their medical updates are useless for the fans to rely on, they are just far too unreliable)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    If Greene is shut down for the season, how many innings will limited to next year?
    I think the goal is to build him up to 170-180 innings by 2025, so he can be flipped for prospects.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr

Hunter Greene is scheduled to begin a rehab assignment Thursday with the hope he can rejoin the Reds' rotation in two weeks.

That would give him up to five starts to finish his rookie season.

20. Likes:

Boston Red (08-28-2022),cumberlandreds (08-28-2022),SirFelixCat (08-28-2022)

Five more starts for the Reds could mean 25-30 more innings (131-136) unless pitch counts mean less then 5 innings per start. a couple of rehab starts at Louisville or Chattanooga could add an additional 10 innings (give or take a couple +/-). Might not officially count toward his stats, but they would be IP.

That could leave him 140+ IP, but not sure the Reds want him that high.

22. Likes:

Wayne Krivsky (08-29-2022)

they better be absolutely sure he's ready to return. if he re-injures his shoulder pitching in meaningless games in september for one of the worst teams in MLB ... well, that would be the most reds' thing ever.

24. Likes:

JCM11 (08-29-2022),LeatherPants (08-29-2022),Old school 1983 (08-29-2022),REDREAD (08-29-2022),Tuff Nut (08-29-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    they better be absolutely sure he's ready to return. if he re-injures his shoulder pitching in meaningless games in september for one of the worst teams in MLB ... well, that would be the most reds' thing ever.
    Don't think there was an injury to begin with. Reading up on the situation, it seems as if the Reds were just looking to limit Greene's innings.

26. Likes:

JFLegal (08-29-2022),Ron Madden (08-29-2022),westofyou (08-29-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Don't think there was an injury to begin with. Reading up on the situation, it seems as if the Reds were just looking to limit Greene's innings.
    I imagine the truth was somewhere in the middle. "Injury" can be a tricky word when you're talking about a strain. A stain is just a tear and there are varying degrees. Technically, if you work out hard and your muscles are sore, it's because they've been strained.

I suspect he was having at least some shoulder pain/fatigue (just like virtually every other pitcher in baseball, especially in August), but agree that if it the Reds were in a pennant race, he'd still be pitching.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

28. Likes:

Chip R (08-29-2022),JFLegal (08-29-2022),Roy Tucker (08-29-2022)

Turn Off Ads?