Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favorite Worst Albums

Re: Favorite Worst Albums

This is a great topic and there are some great answers here.

I would nominate Pink Floyd's The Final Cut. Not my favorite but not as bad as critics and fans made it out to be.

For Nirvana, I would think Bleach and Insecticide could be mentioned. Great raw energy and no one but the local fans dug it until Nevermind broke.

I poo poo'ed Metallica's black album when it came out. Master of Puppets it was not. But you know, it's not a bad album.

Geto Boys, the album with Mind is Playing Tricks On Me is hilariously bad and yet awesome at the same time. Bushwick Bill is an aquired taste to be sure.

The first Mr Bungle album. Jeez everyone I played that album for absolutely hated it. I think it's a masterpiece.

Yellow Submarine by the Beatles tends to get panned. The whole 2nd side is just George Martin's orchestral compositions. But it's good! And of course Hey Bulldog.

Marvin Gaye's Here My Dear. My goodness what a mess of an album. He only made it because he was contractually obligated to do so, with the stipulation that all proceeds went to... His recently divorced ex-wife. It is blunt. Clumsy. And beautiful.

I'll stop there. Not sure if I have veered away from the original intention of this thread or not. Looking forward to reading what others come up with.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2. Likes:

marcshoe (08-12-2022),westofyou (08-12-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    River of Deceit is amazing. That scene is my favorite- it isnt even close.

I go back to The Wipers, Malfunkshun, U-Men, The Gits.

Oh, Andy Wood. What I'd give to hear something more.
    Speaking of Andy Wood - Temple of the Dog was low key amazing - even though it was only a tribute to Wood. Some of Chris Cornell’s best vocal/songwriting work and the first band Eddie Vedder was professionally recorded with.

5. Likes:

Dom Heffner (08-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    I was 7 in 1994 when Green Day released Dookie. It wasn’t until my 20’s that I really gave Kerplunk a listen. It’s cliche to say this - but they were better (and trying harder) before their mainstream breakthrough.
    Sure they were, they were the princes of Berkeley at Gilman Street. At Lollapalooza a bunch of punks had a huge banner they unfurled when they came on stage that read, "Sellouts!"

Favorite Worst Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    This is a great topic and there are some great answers here.

I would nominate Pink Floyd's The Final Cut. Not my favorite but not as bad as critics and fans made it out to be.

For Nirvana, I would think Bleach and Insecticide could be mentioned. Great raw energy and no one but the local fans dug it until Nevermind broke.

I poo poo'ed Metallica's black album when it came out. Master of Puppets it was not. But you know, it's not a bad album.

Geto Boys, the album with Mind is Playing Tricks On Me is hilariously bad and yet awesome at the same time. Bushwick Bill is an aquired taste to be sure.

The first Mr Bungle album. Jeez everyone I played that album for absolutely hated it. I think it's a masterpiece.

Yellow Submarine by the Beatles tends to get panned. The whole 2nd side is just George Martin's orchestral compositions. But it's good! And of course Hey Bulldog.

Marvin Gaye's Here My Dear. My goodness what a mess of an album. He only made it because he was contractually obligated to do so, with the stipulation that all proceeds went to... His recently divorced ex-wife. It is blunt. Clumsy. And beautiful.

I'll stop there. Not sure if I have veered away from the original intention of this thread or not. Looking forward to reading what others come up with.
    Here My Dear is amazing

8. Likes:

Bob Sheed (08-12-2022)

“Edward the Mad Shirt Grinder”. A nifty piano instrumental by Nicky Hopkins and band when he was a member of Quicksilver Messenger Service. It’s on their album “Shady Grove” which is all dreck except for that cut.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

10. Likes:

westofyou (08-13-2022)

Buckingham Nicks , released in the fall of '73 . Great album that too few have heard.

" Frozen Love " is epic . Haunting , foreshadowing , sublime ...

“It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Another one for me is the Replacements' All Shook Down. First off, it's more of a Westerberg solo record than a Mats album. That often places it at the back of catalog rankings (though sometimes it's their earlier stuff where Paul is shouting at the microphone). ASD is definitely is definitely sitting in the mid-range pocket, but damn it's good. If "Nobody", "Bent All Out of Shape" or "My Little Problem" starts playing, I'm hooked. It was also a nice palate cleanser back in the day amidst the grunge explosion. Loved the grunge explosion, but it got a little goopy if that's all you were listening too.

Oh, and is Trompe Le Monde the worst from the Pixies' original catalog? If so, that's another one I can listen to on a loop.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

13. Likes:

westofyou (08-25-2022)

Turn Off Ads?