Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Starter #5

Re: Starter #5

the castellinis are big fans of the musical Cats. therefore, the rum tum tugger has an MLB gig.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    They need to stay in that bottom seven in order to have a shot at the top draft pick. Three spots in the rotation for Minor and the not-ready-for-primetime-pitchers should ensure that.
    bottom 6 (not 7).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reds should have kept Tony Santillan as a starter. They gave up on that too easily.

I don’t know if his back injury resulted from the conversion to the pen, that would be speculation.

He needed work, yes, but seemed to have starters stuff. Big guy, in his best MLB outing got stronger late in game.

I continue to question that move, saw him as a #4 starter. Hope they revisit that, but doubtful they will.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-07-2022 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    bottom 6 (not 7).
    They're grouped with Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Detroit, ahead (behind?) Washington and Oakland, one loss behind (ahead?) of the LA Angels of Anaheim.

Three lousy SP will keep them in the bottom six, IMO.

(That's one reason why they didn't add Dinelson Lamet, IMO.)

They're grouped with Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Detroit, ahead (behind?) Washington and Oakland, one loss behind (ahead?) of the LA Angels of Anaheim.

Three lousy SP will keep them in the bottom six, IMO.

(That's one reason why they didn't add Dinelson Lamet, IMO.)
    yeah, all joking aside, if they tore the team down to shreds AND didn't get a top-6 (or better) pick out of it, that would be a shame. i'm not quite to the point of rooting for losses yet (i was cheering them on big time against the brewers last night and it was cool to see them win) but i know i'll be getting to that point soon. i'll hope young guys like lodolo, barrero, ashcraft, india, etc play well. however, the nights when the Rum Tum Tugger is on the mound and scrubs like that, it won't bother me at all if they lose. in fact, i'm sure i'll eventually be rooting for losses when those scrubs pitch, while still hoping votto hits 2 HRs in the loss.
    Last edited by JFLegal; 08-07-2022 at 10:57 AM.

When you have eight clubs tearing it apart and tanking, somebody has to finish in eighth place in that upside-down race.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 08-07-2022 at 11:47 AM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-08-2022),REDREAD (08-07-2022)

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr

Update: Justin Dunn will start Monday in New York.

Mike Minor will pitch Tuesday.

9. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-07-2022),BEETTLEBUG (08-07-2022),JCM11 (08-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    yeah, all joking aside, if they tore the team down to shreds AND didn't get a top-6 (or better) pick out of it, that would be a shame. i'm not quite to the point of rooting for losses yet (i was cheering them on big time against the brewers last night and it was cool to see them win) but i know i'll be getting to that point soon. i'll hope young guys like lodolo, barrero, ashcraft, india, etc play well. however, the nights when the Rum Tum Tugger is on the mound and scrubs like that, it won't bother me at all. in fact, i'm sure i'll be rooting for losses when those scrubs pitch, while still hoping votto hits 2 HRs in the loss.
    That's where I'm at. I want Votto to continue to hit and some of the question marks to be answered one way or another.

It'd be helpful, for example, for both Barrero and Senzel to prove they can hit at the major league level. That'd take a lot of guesswork out of next season's plan, as it were. Dunn, Greene, Lodolo, and Ashcraft too.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 08-07-2022 at 10:52 AM.

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    When you have eight clubs tearing it apart and tanking, somebody has to finish in eighth place in that ipside-down race.
    true, but the reds tore it down more than any other team this year (and that's saying a lot). traded two of the top-4 players on the trade market (based on the return they got back) in castillo and mahle, also traded away naquin, drury and pham. the latter being a pure salary dump, but still.

compare that to, say, the pirates, who traded quintana and maybe one other mediocre guy? they kept their biggest trade chips in reynolds and bednar.

anyway, the reds better sure as hell finish in the bottom 6 so they are in that lottery and have a chance at a top pick.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (08-07-2022)

If we’re talking about the draft lottery for 2023, all 18 non-playoff teams are in the lottery.

The lottery will determine the six top picks from among those non-playoff teams.

The odds favor the worst W-L teams. The three worst teams each have a 16.5% chance for the top pick. Reds are not in that “top” three right now. They are Washington, Oakland and Detroit currently. Reds and Cubs currently tied for 6th worst record. But again, all non-playoff teams get a roll of the dice.

This is similar but not identical to the NBA lottery. The difference is that the worst team in NBA is guaranteed the fifth pick (if not better). In MLB, the worst team is guaranteed the seventh pick (if not better).
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-07-2022 at 11:09 AM.

Does anyone know what next year’s draft class looks like? Are there 6 players worth losing games over?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

That's where I'm at. I want Votto to continue to hit and some of the question marks to be answered one way or another.

It'd be helpful, for example, for both Barrero and Senzel to prove they can hit at the major league level. That'd take a lot of guesswork out of next season's plan, as it were. Dunn, Greene, Lodolo, and Ashcraft too.
    Senzel doesn't have it. Barrero nearly hit more HR last night than Senzel has the past three years. Senzel has a negative 0.8 WAR this year. He has no in game power, a weak arm, and can't play balls hit over his head in the OF. I think Siani could come up right now and help the Reds win more games with his defense and speed than Senzel helps us win. One of our stud SS prospects will likely move to CF at some point so Senzel's days are numbered any way you look at it.

17. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-07-2022),malcontent (08-07-2022),RedTeamGo! (08-07-2022),sjjones (08-21-2022)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Senzel doesn't have it. Barrero nearly hit more HR last night than Senzel has the past three years. Senzel has a negative 0.8 WAR this year. He has no in game power, a weak arm, and can't play balls hit over his head in the OF. I think Siani could come up right now and help the Reds win more games with his defense and speed than Senzel helps us win. One of our stud SS prospects will likely move to CF at some point so Senzel's days are numbered any way you look at it.
    TBH, I have given up on Nick myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    He also had a 3.75 ERA, 1.3 WHIP and 111 ERA+ in the bigs last year. Might get killed since it’s his first start back from injury and he’s finding his footing, but he may very well be a nice 4-5 starter for a few years.
    He did all right in a short sample with a .238 BABIP, though I'm not sure he's the same human as he was at that moment given his shoulder issues. He's a soft tosser with a high FB rate. His profile is batting tee. The Reds' chances for a 100+ losses get a lot better if Dunn's going to be taking the ball on a regular basis to close the season.
    Last edited by M2; 08-07-2022 at 11:54 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

20. Likes:

mth123 (08-07-2022),REDREAD (08-07-2022),Tom Servo (08-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He did all right in a short sample with a .238 BABIP, though I'm not sure he's the same human as he was at that moment given his shoulder issues. He's a soft tosser with a high FB rate. His profile is batting tee. The Reds' chances for a 100+ losses get a lot better if Dunn's going to be taking the ball on a regular basis to close the season.
    If he’s a tee, he’s a tee. Maybe it was SSS magic. But he does have a relatively ok performance at the MLB level under his belt. Might be a chance he’s ok and not Vlad redux.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    If he’s a tee, he’s a tee. Maybe it was SSS magic. But he does have a relatively ok performance at the MLB level under his belt. Might be a chance he’s ok and not Vlad redux.
    Career 6.0 bb/9 in 100+ innings doesn't scream "relatively ok". He has an OK career ERA, but everything else is horrible.

23. Likes:

mth123 (08-07-2022)

Turn Off Ads?