Turn Off Ads?

Thread: two expensive SS the Reds were too cheap to sign now released

two expensive SS the Reds were too cheap to sign now released

Didi Gregorius and now Andrelton Simmons. Many millions of dead money for the Phillies and Cubs. Many on the regulars were not pleased in the Reds decision and Farmer was generally equivalent.

On a positive, perhaps the Reds might consider releasing one of their own.

2. Likes:

HokieRed (08-07-2022),Hubba (08-07-2022),jonmurr (08-06-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: two expensive SS the Reds were too cheap to sign now released

Quote Originally Posted by JustaFan View Post
    Didi Gregorius and now Andrelton Simmons. Many millions of dead money for the Phillies and Cubs. Many on the regulars were not pleased in the Reds decision and Farmer was generally equivalent.

On a positive, perhaps the Reds might consider releasing one of their own.
    Better sign Gregorius and Simmons while the Reds can. Never can have too many shortstops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

5. Likes:

JFLegal (08-07-2022),thatcoolguy_22 (08-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    Better sign Gregorius and Simmons while the Reds can. Never can have too many shortstops.
    Agreed, I think Zack Cozart is also available.
    Go Gators!

7. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (08-08-2022)

I think Leo Cárdenas still lives in town.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-07-2022),Number_Fourteen (08-08-2022),Roy Tucker (08-07-2022)

So many were dying to have Gregorius manning short a few years back. In his time with the Phillies he has a -0.1 WAR. In that same time, Farmer has a 2.5 in Cincy

11. Likes:

Always Red (08-07-2022),Chip R (08-08-2022),Griffey012 (08-07-2022),HokieRed (08-07-2022),mth123 (08-07-2022),Number_Fourteen (08-08-2022),Old school 1983 (08-07-2022),Ron Madden (08-07-2022)

I personally never wanted Didi or Simmons. But this just goes to show you no matter who they sign that any signing of any player is a risk.
    They could sign the best player on earth and he could seriously underperform or get injured.
    I've called for them to sign different players down through the years and been right on some and really wrong on others.
    I think we all have.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (08-08-2022)

Then, OUTRAGE.....now, crickets........
    Let's play two!!!

Well, I really don't remember anyone on the board excited about the possiblity of Farmer being the starting SS either.
    I remember when I suggested the Reds might try Farmer as the starting SS in 2021 (This is before the REds announced Geno would be SS).. I remember the board was generally angry at the idea.
    Note, I am not claiming I predicted it, I just thought it might happen since Bell started in him the playoff game vs Atl. I'm not saying I predicted it would work out well either.
    I am just saying, no one that I remember was enthusiastic about Farmer as the starting SS when it was discussed back then.
    So I'm not sure what the "I told you so" tone of this thread was..
    The front office said that they were going to sign one of the big FA SS , when in reality they weren't even trying. They lied to the fans, and ignored the problem, then started Geno at SS.. so
    the Reds front office gets ZERO credit for Farmer working out.. I will give Bell some credit for believing in Farmer, but not the Front office, who decided to put Suarez at SS , when it was obvious to at least some of us that was going to be a disaster.
    Bottom line, the outrage was more about the Front office ignoring the huge hole at SS and lying to the fans about it.
    Let's not pretend the FO was smarter than Redszone on this issue, they clearly were not. Farmer was a happy accident , I'm glad it happened, but it wasn't by design.
    Another question is.. will the Front office be willing to spend the money to bring Farmer back next year, or will they non-tender him? I can see it going 50-50 honestly.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Agreed, I think Zack Cozart is also available.
    Does anyone think Chris Denorfia could play short? I always said he was forced into the OF by his little league coach and never given a proper chance.

I still wish the Reds had signed Didi, Semien or one of the SS before 2020 or 21. The division was there for the taking and the Reds needed to upgrade the bullpen and SS. They did neither and lost out as a result. Farmer worker out pretty well eventually but the FO came up short at a time they could have put the team over the top,.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

18. Likes:

REDREAD (08-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I still wish the Reds had signed Didi, Semien or one of the SS before 2020 or 21. The division was there for the taking and the Reds needed to upgrade the bullpen and SS. They did neither and lost out as a result. Farmer worker out pretty well eventually but the FO came up short at a time they could have put the team over the top,.
    I really wanted Semien on a short deal. He had a monster year for the Jays. I never understood the want for Simmons. With Didi I think there's always been that "bring em back home" feeling but he was clearly in decline.

I wanted Semien.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

The highs & lows of fandom-fantasy GM'ing.

Turn Off Ads?