Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Christian Encarnacion-Strand

Re: Christian Encarnacion-Strand

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    3 hit night for Encarnacion-Strand so far tonight, including his 30th HR. He has torn the cover off the ball this season.
    4 hit night now, added an RBI double.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

Eric in IL (08-31-2022),Ky Fried Redleg (08-30-2022),Old school 1983 (08-31-2022),Redhook (08-30-2022),RedTeamGo! (08-31-2022),wolfboy (08-30-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Seems like a poor man’s Albert Pujols. Comes out of nowhere, but hits and hits and hits some more.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Christian Encarnacion-Strand home run 30.

CES is quickly becoming my 2nd favorite prospect in the org
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    CES is quickly becoming my 2nd favorite prospect in the org
    He's already my 1st.

I am REALLY hoping this bat is legit. The Reds need a player like this ignite the fan base. In this day and age I always worry about PED use especially when a guy comes out of nowhere.

Looking at his FSL league stats for 22 games though - he's basically picked up where he left off in 2021.

Gotta think he's a non roster invitee to ST and if he catches fires in 2023, he could be in the Nati quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

8. Likes:

Redhook (03-10-2023)

CES’ splits at A+ and AA for 2022 reflect that he’s dominated RHP and hasn’t been on track against lefties.

This is a good sign in that eventually one can assume a RH slugger will catch up with LHP. But the R on R hitting is a positive thing.

Reds may be reluctant to move him to AAA for September, he’s played at two levels, three teams already this season. But it would seem he’s ready to take on more advanced pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    CES’ splits at A+ and AA for 2022 reflect that he’s dominated RHP and hasn’t been on track against lefties.

This is a good sign in that eventually one can assume a RH slugger will catch up with LHP. But the R on R hitting is a positive thing.

Reds may be reluctant to move him to AAA for September, he’s played at two levels, three teams already this season. But it would seem he’s ready to take on more advanced pitching.
    I doubt he gets moved up this season, but I do think he'll end up in Cincinnati at the halfway point of 2023, at the latest. (Assuming health.)

Feels like guys who can straight up mash but are limited to 1B/LF/DH get overly penalized when it comes to prospect rankings. Obviously, it’s great when a guy can play SS or CF AND mash, but those guys are very few and far between. A 1B who can OPS .850-.900 is at least as valuable as a solid defensive SS who can OPS .750 in my book, but it doesn’t usually feel like prospect rankings reflect that.

Absolutely love that there is a potential heir to the 1B spot that Votto has locked down for more than a decade in the system now.
    Last edited by Alpha Zero; 08-31-2022 at 01:50 PM.

12. Likes:

757690 (09-03-2022),Mitri (08-31-2022),Sea Ray (08-31-2022),Tom Servo (08-31-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    Feels like guys who can straight up mash but are limited to 1B/LF/DH get overly penalized when it comes to prospect rankings. Obviously, it’s great when a guy can play SS or CF AND mash, but those guys are very few and far between. A 1B who can OPS .850-.900 is at least as valuable as a solid defensive SS who can OPS .750 in my book, but it doesn’t usually feel like prospect rankings reflect that.

Absolutely love that there is a potential heir to the 1B spot that Votto has locked down for more than a decade in the system now.
    Completely agreed, AZ. Bat-first guys are perpetually dismissed, largely (I suspect) because prospect gurus don't want to miss on the "next big thing" that might be able to do all the things fairly well rather than some of the things really well. Too, those guys seem to get lost in the speed/ glove possibilities and ignore the offensive capabilities.

Encarnacion-Strand's wRC+ ranks among all AA or AAA sluggers 22 years and under:

1. Colton Cowser, 22: 184
    2. Nolan Gorman, 22: 167
    3. Brett Batty, 22: 160
    4. Conner Norby, 22: 158
    5. Sal Frelick, 22: 154
    6. Elly De La Cruz, 20: 154
    7. Ezequiel Tovar, 20: 153
    8. Logan O'Hoppe, 22: 150
    9. Bo Naylor, 22: 150
    10. Christian Encarnacion-Strand, 22: 149

15. Likes:

RiverRat13 (09-01-2022),SirFelixCat (08-31-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Encarnacion-Strand's wRC+ ranks among all AA or AAA sluggers 22 years and under:

1. Colton Cowser, 22: 184
    2. Nolan Gorman, 22: 167
    3. Brett Batty, 22: 160
    4. Conner Norby, 22: 158
    5. Sal Frelick, 22: 154
    6. Elly De La Cruz, 20: 154
    7. Ezequiel Tovar, 20: 153
    8. Logan O'Hoppe, 22: 150
    9. Bo Naylor, 22: 150
    10. Christian Encarnacion-Strand, 22: 149
    Eight 22 year olds and two 20 year olds. Love CES but this probably says more about Elly than Christian.

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-31-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    Eight 22 year olds and two 20 year olds. Love CES but this probably says more about Elly than Christian.
    Pretty sure it says quite good things about both of them, but sure, that's why De La Cruz is the better prospect, IMO. Well, that and his tools are stratospheric. De La Cruz has upside on his upside on his current production. Which is ridiculous.

But Encarnacion-Strand should absolutely. be seen as a top prospect based purely on production.

Of the 10 ahead of CES:

Nolan Gorman is now in St. Louis and is likely to have graduated off prospect lists completely.
    Brett Baty's AAA numbers dropped him below Encarnacion-Strand in terms of overall wRC+. He too has moved on to the majors and is unlikely to be on top 100 prospect lists.
    Sal Frelick's numbers are generated by a hot AAA half-season. His AA peripherals are very, very good, mind, but not in the same stratosphere.
    Bo Naylor moved up to AAA and hit nearly as well. Still, his half-season in the International League dropped his overall wRC+ below that of CES.

In short, only Cowser, Norby, De La Cruz, Tovar, and O'Hoppe have better numbers overall in terms of wRC+ on the season (and will still be prospects this off-season).

That's a really high level of production that seems to get lost amongst all the tools others might possess.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post

Right, there aren't even that many DH's that really mash. A guy who destroys the ball like this is pretty great to have even if he couldn't play the field at all.

There aren't 30 J.D. Martinez's or Nelson Cruz's to go around.
    Last edited by CaiGuy; 09-01-2022 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Christian Encarnacion-Strand home run 30.
    Thanks icehole3 for posting vids of CES bombs. This one looked like a low inside slider he deposited in left field.

21. Likes:

icehole3 (09-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Completely agreed, AZ. Bat-first guys are perpetually dismissed, largely (I suspect) because prospect gurus don't want to miss on the "next big thing" that might be able to do all the things fairly well rather than some of the things really well. Too, those guys seem to get lost in the speed/ glove possibilities and ignore the offensive capabilities.
    I think the other reason prospect gurus dismiss CES is because he didn't have great draft pedigree. But production matters. And CES has produced at a very high level everywhere he's been in the minors.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Turn Off Ads?