Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Protecting the Jewels: A Way-Too-Early 40-Man Roster Discussion

Re: Protecting the Jewels: A Way-Too-Early 40-Man Roster Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrCody View Post
    I have a question?

How is Elly de la Cruz on this list he has 3 seasons of pro ball. If you add in the 2020 Covid year when no MiLB was played he is still at 4 years so heÂ’s not eligible for rule 5 until after next year.
    He's eligible because this will be the *fifth Rule 5 draft since his official contract signing back in July of 2018. 2018 counts as a "qualified season" for Rule 5 purposes; because he signed before the DSL season ended, it counts regardless if he wasn't assigned to play in league games until the next year. Had he signed after the minor league regular seasons ended in 2018 then that year would not have counted as a "qualified season" even if he signed before that first rule 5 draft (say October instead of July for example).

Rule 5 status has nothing to do with Rule 9 (minor league FA) team control, which allows the Reds too control him through at least the 2025 season if they wish to do so (assuming for hypothetical purposes that he isn't protected and he's not taken by another club via a Rule 5 draft). The canceled 2020 minor league season does count for Rule 9 purposes.

*The lockout canceled rule 5 draft counts as a year for draft purposes as well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

An easier way to think of it is, with some exceptions, basically any HS player drafted in 2018 and international player signed in 2018 and any college player drafted in 2019 is eligible for this coming rule 5 draft. As are any other player not on a 40 man roster who was signed or drafted earlier than that (for example any player drafted in 2017).

The number of seasons they've actually suited up and seen game action matters not.

Thank you for clearing that up, I couldn’t find info on when he signed in the year. I did understand that 2020 counted as a year which can make thing confusing.
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

This is a worthwhile issue for discussion and interesting to consider. Without getting into the specifics, I will just generally say that we currently have one of the worst MLB rosters. Even with maybe an outsized need to protect the young people that have been amassed in trades, the chances of the rest of baseball having interest in the last cut off a bad group seems pretty unlikely. We pass dudes through waivers all the time and no one bites. (Nor would you expect them to.)

6. Likes:

dfs (08-15-2022),mth123 (08-15-2022),Sea Ray (08-15-2022)

Definitely (22) [No Particular Order]
    Votto
    India
    Barrero
    Farmer, K.
    Senzel
    Fraley
    Stephenson
    Greene
    Lodolo
    Ashcraft
    Antone
    Diaz
    Santillan
    Kuhnel
    Sanmartin
    De La Cruz
    Marte
    Steer
    Siani
    Vellojin
    Johnson
    Williamson

Possibly (30) [Loose Priority]
    Solano (re-sign)
    Dugger
    Lopez
    Overton
    Almora
    Cessa
    Schrock
    Hoffman
    Guttierez
    Fairchild
    Dunn
    Friedl
    Aquino
    Byrne
    Cerda
    Gibaut
    Wilson
    Quintana
    Duarte
    Moreta
    Hopkins
    Warren
    Solomon
    Sims
    Garcia
    Kolozsvary
    Hendrix
    Romine
    Reynolds
    Zeuch

Probably (Not) (12) [No Particular Order]
    Moustakas
    Minor
    Strickland
    Farmer, B.
    Detwiler
    Papierski
    Dawson
    Rey
    Demiurias
    Pidich
    Cooper
    Free
    Last edited by corkedbat; 08-16-2022 at 03:19 AM.

Bump.

It's not way too early anymore. Clearly, the Reds have a number of cuts that need to be made to the 40 man roster, somewhere between 15-19. With 2020 being a lost year for development I'm guessing that teams will have more players than usual that need to be protected. Further, there appears to be a trend toward valuing younger (cheaper) players more. This points to a lot of marginal veterans being cut and having to take minor league contracts.

I assume we will add a few in FA to the team, also.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I assume we will add a few in FA to the team, also.
    My guess is a starting pitcher and a back end bullpen arm. My guess is that they will try to compete for a wild card with existing players platooning. They can't outbid the Mets, but they should go after Edwin Diaz in the hope that playing with his brother might get him to take a lesser offer.

My fear is that instead of DFA'ing Moose, they might package him with prospects in order to get another team to take his contract.

Turn Off Ads?