Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interested

Interested

Would any like to go after outfielder from Cleveland Franmil Reyes?

2. Likes:

klw (08-07-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Interested

I think it would make sense to grab him and hope to rehab/flip him or extend him at a reasonable rate, but I imagine the Reds would pass when looking at the price tag and the fact that they already have a RH slugger who doesn't really hit in Aquino.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (08-07-2022),Old school 1983 (08-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I think it would make sense to grab him and hope to rehab/flip him or extend him at a reasonable rate, but I imagine the Reds would pass when looking at the price tag and the fact that they already have a RH slugger who doesn't really hit in Aquino.
    Cheap power is precious, IMO, and Reyes has a solid history of providing just that.

He's the exact type of target I think they'll look for this off-season.

If they don't look to sign him, it may be a sign that they're looking to go super cheap this off-season on corner OF (and free agents in general).

Super cheap. Like, $75M or so super cheap.

Sigh.

I hate the Castellinis (and all the Red owners).

7. Likes:

Marc D (08-07-2022)

At first I thought this might not hurt…but gave it more thought. Just give Aquino the time. Cheaper. Better defense. Likely same results with the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    At first I thought this might not hurt…but gave it more thought. Just give Aquino the time. Cheaper. Better defense. Likely same results with the bat.
    Reyes, career: .253/ .314/ .478/ .793/ 114 OPS+
    Reyes, this season: .213/ .254/ .350/ .604/ 72 OPS+

Aquino, career: .212/ .289/ .445/ .734/ 86 OPS+
    Aquino, 2022: .178/ .210/ .307/ .516/ 37 OPS+

There is no way those two bats are even close to being similar.

10. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-07-2022),LeatherPants (08-07-2022),ochoa30 (08-07-2022),REDREAD (08-08-2022),Tom Servo (08-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Reyes, career: .253/ .314/ .478/ .793/ 114 OPS+
    Reyes, this season: .213/ .254/ .350/ .604/ 72 OPS+

Aquino, career: .212/ .289/ .445/ .734/ 86 OPS+
    Aquino, 2022: .178/ .210/ .307/ .516/ 37 OPS+

There is no way those two bats are even close to being similar.
    Aquino doesn’t have concrete blocks on his feet and glove hand either. Yes, Reyes has better overall numbers, but recently, I think it’s a flip of the coin as to whichever one could turn it around. I’d rather give Aquino the chance to if it was an either or situation.

With the lack of power the Reds have they should absolutely give him a look.

Aquino doesn’t have concrete blocks on his feet and glove hand either. Yes, Reyes has better overall numbers, but recently, I think it’s a flip of the coin as to whichever one could turn it around. I’d rather give Aquino the chance to if it was an either or situation.
    Reyes OPS by season:
    2018 - .838
    2019 - .822
    2020 - .795
    2021 - .846
    2022 - .603

Aquino OPS by season:
    2019 - .891
    2020 - .623
    2021 - .707
    2022 - .516

2022 is an extreme outlier for Reyes and 2019 is an extreme outlier for Aquino. Does Aquino give you more value on defense? Sure but it's still in a corner OF slot. There's a reason why teams "hide" sub-par defenders there.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Reyes OPS by season:
    2018 - .838
    2019 - .822
    2020 - .795
    2021 - .846
    2022 - .603

Aquino OPS by season:
    2019 - .891
    2020 - .623
    2021 - .707
    2022 - .516

2022 is an extreme outlier for Reyes and 2019 is an extreme outlier for Aquino. Does Aquino give you more value on defense? Sure but it's still in a corner OF slot. There's a reason why teams "hide" sub-par defenders there.
    I’d rather just give the time to Aquino. Everyone seems to think the Reds won’t spend much in FA this off-season so I’d like to spend those precious dollars on something better than Reyes. If he was a lefty I’d be more inclined to give him a shot. If the Reds do end up giving him a shot, won’t hurt my feelings any. The power will play in GABP. I think they’re just looking for more well rounded players. Not DHs they’d have to hide.

Edit. Didn’t realize Reyes was so much younger than Aquino. Yeah. Take that risk and hide him at DH if you have to.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I’d rather just give the time to Aquino. Everyone seems to think the Reds won’t spend much in FA this off-season so I’d like to spend those precious dollars on something better than Reyes. If he was a lefty I’d be more inclined to give him a shot. If the Reds do end up giving him a shot, won’t hurt my feelings any. The power will play in GABP. I think they’re just looking for more well rounded players. Not DHs they’d have to hide.

Edit. Didn’t realize Reyes was so much younger than Aquino. Yeah. Take that risk and hide him at DH if you have to.
    Do we REALLY know how old either one of them is?

Reyes is arbitration eligible, so I doubt the Reds would pick him up now.
    Maybe in the offseason, if he's still available and the Reds can give him a lower contract (other clubs may be thinking the same)
    Should the Reds sign him? Absolutely, their OF is a wasteland. If nothing else, he'd be a good RH DH.
    He's got a better bat than Aquino, but he is a defensive liablity.
    He might rake in the GAB though.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Don't think this is the right move at all. The focus needs to continue to be to move away from a lineup with too many guys who carry high K%.

I would be okay with Reyes and Fraley forming a platoon in a corner spot and keeping that seat warm for 2023. I wouldn’t expect much more than that from him.

19. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    I would be okay with Reyes and Fraley forming a platoon in a corner spot and keeping that seat warm for 2023. I wouldn’t expect much more than that from him.
    Reyes can't really play defense (neither can Fraley to be honest). I might platoon them at DH, but I'd aim higher or just go with Moose and Aquino or make room for Encarnacion-Strand by mid-season. They will need the DH spot to rest Votto and Stephenson a lot, so I'm not really for adding a pure DH unless its a major bat. Reyes doesn't qualify IMO.

I might take him over Aquino as a RH power bat off the bench depending on how the rest of the OF shakes out. If this roster spot actually needs to play defense, I'd rather have Aquino.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

21. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Reyes can't really play defense (neither can Fraley to be honest). I might platoon them at DH, but I'd aim higher or just go with Moose and Aquino or make room for Encarnacion-Strand by mid-season. They will need the DH spot to rest Votto and Stephenson a lot, so I'm not really for adding a pure DH unless its a major bat. Reyes doesn't qualify IMO.

I might take him over Aquino as a RH power bat off the bench depending on how the rest of the OF shakes out. If this roster spot actually needs to play defense, I'd rather have Aquino.
    With a young staff in GABP go with the defense everyday. Outs are precious

Turn Off Ads?