Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Aquino

Re: Aquino

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Nice goalpost move.

No one is talking about Aquino starting every day. At best he's a platoon against LHP, most likely, he's a back up OF.

Since 2019, Aquino has had 735 PA's. His K rate over those PA's is 33.2%. There are 7 MLB players with over 700 PA's over that time with a higher K rate, and they all have positive WAR overall:

Patrick Wisdom
    Miguel Sano
    Joey Gallo
    Mike Zunino
    Keston Hira
    Bobby Dalbec
    Jorge Alfero
    I assume you’re including 2019. So over four years, only seven players averaging 175 PAs or more, have a higher K rate than Aquino.

That’s a rather paltry number. Consider how many players average 175 PAs or more over a four year period in all MLB.

I guess managers and GMs don’t view all those strikeouts as a very strong qualification.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-23-2022 at 06:30 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I assume you’re including 2019. So over four years, only seven players averaging 175 PAs, have a higher K rate than Aquino.

That’s a rather paltry number. Consider how many players have 175 PAs over a four year period.

I guess managers and GMs don’t view all those strikeouts as a very strong qualification.
    Again, goal post moving.

It can be done, it has been done. It is possible. Of course it's rare, of course it would be an outlier.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Again, goal post moving.

It can be done, it has been done. It is possible. Of course it's rare, of course it would be an outlier.
    No argument there. Most things are possible. It would be an outlier, agree, but some manager might give Aquino bench PAs even with the strikeouts, yes, it’s possible. The Reds did it.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-23-2022 at 06:45 PM.

why are we still talking about this guy
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

HokieRed (09-24-2022),Kinsm (09-24-2022),westofyou (09-23-2022),WildcatFan (09-24-2022),wlf WV (09-24-2022)

Again, goal post moving.

The rare guys that make it work have pretty high walk rates and big time power.

Aquino doesn’t walk much and swings at too much junk to be a good candidate to be an outlier.

Of course anything is possible, but that’s a very uninteresting conversation .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

8. Likes:

Chip R (10-06-2022),RedsfaninMT (09-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    The rare guys that make it work have pretty high walk rates and big time power.

Aquino doesn’t walk much and swings at too much junk to be a good candidate to be an outlier.

Of course anything is possible, but that’s a very uninteresting conversation .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    High BABIP helps strikeout hitters too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    No argument there. Most things are possible. It would be an outlier, agree, but some manager might give Aquino bench PAs even with the strikeouts, yes, it’s possible. The Reds did it.
    My point was to demonstrate that it’s not his K’s that are the core problem, his pitch recognition is. I did that.

I am not defending Aquino here, nor suggesting that he will all of the sudden become more productive. Quite the opposite. I am pointing out that his problem is bigger than just that he K’s too much, meaning it is less likely that he will become more productive.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

My point was to demonstrate that it’s not his K’s that are the core problem, his pitch recognition is. I did that.

I am not defending Aquino here, nor suggesting that he will all of the sudden become more productive. Quite the opposite. I am pointing out that his problem is bigger than just that he K’s too much, meaning it is less likely that he will become more productive.
    The bottom line is the Ks and lack of contact. Everyone strikes out for a reason. Poor pitch recognition, slow bat, bad swing mechanics, bad strike zone judgment. Other causes as well, I’m sure.

When the lack of contact and Ks become pervasive, they are very hard to overcome. Hitting percentages are low in baseball, very hard when you “waste” 35% of your PAs. That’s Aquino’s main problem.

Aquino is Senzel is Barrero to me , and I'm packaging all three for a decent relief pitcher . I can't stand to watch either of the three. Barrero and Aquino don't know what they're doing batting at the MLB level , and Senzel is like a rookie at times wherever he's at ( when he's playing). All the other young hitters we've got need an accomplished MLB hitter in the clubhouse, maybe a healthy Votto can do it ?
    Last edited by wlf WV; 09-24-2022 at 11:15 AM.
    May the Lord bless

Aquino has no strike zone mojo. He can't figure that rectangle out at all. He's a mistake hitter with a great throwing arm.

His time is up, ring the gong Chuck

14. Likes:

KYExtemper (10-08-2022),Red Raindog (10-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    Aquino is Senzel is Barrero to me , and I'm packaging all three for a decent relief pitcher . I can't stand to watch either of the three. Barrero and Aquino don't know what they're doing batting at the MLB level , and Senzel is like a rookie at times wherever he's at ( when he's playing). All the young hitters we've got need an accomplished MLB hitter in the clubhouse, maybe a healthy Votto can do it ?
    Why would any team trade a decent reliever for those three?

16. Likes:

wlf WV (09-24-2022)

I believe we have heard all the arguments pro and con concerning Aristides Aquino, everything that can be said has already been said.
    I look for him to be non tendered after the season.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I believe we have heard all the arguments pro and con concerning Aristides Aquino, everything that can be said has already been said.
    I look for him to be non tendered after the season.
    I wonder if Aquino has given any thought to life after baseball?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Aristides Aquino spelled backwards is Oniuqa Seditsira.

20. Likes:

westofyou (09-24-2022)

Can him. He cannot hit the baseball.

Turn Off Ads?