Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Aquino

Re: Aquino

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    Aquino is Senzel is Barrero to me...
    Same.

All three have been given chances.

All three have crapped the bed.

Maybe they find more success elsewhere, but elsewhere is key, IMO.

2. Likes:

Sea Ray (10-05-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    Aquino is Senzel is Barrero to me , and I'm packaging all three for a decent relief pitcher . I can't stand to watch either of the three. Barrero and Aquino don't know what they're doing batting at the MLB level , and Senzel is like a rookie at times wherever he's at ( when he's playing). All the other young hitters we've got need an accomplished MLB hitter in the clubhouse, maybe a healthy Votto can do it ?
    One of those is not like the others.

5. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-05-2022)

Jose isn’t even 25 yet and has less than 300 career at bats. I get it, he’s been bad, but it’s way too soon to give up on him.

7. Likes:

CaiGuy (10-05-2022),mth123 (10-05-2022),Old school 1983 (10-05-2022),Revering4Blue (10-05-2022),Ron Madden (10-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Jose isn’t even 25 yet and has less than 300 career at bats. I get it, he’s been bad, but it’s way too soon to give up on him.
    Yeah, Aquino is 28 with 762 PA's, was never much of a prospect, and hadn't even made the majors yet at Barerro's age.

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Same.

While I 100% agree on both Aquino and Senzel, I think it's easy to lose site of the fact that Barrero will finish this season and still have less than 920 PA above A+ ball - and half of those of them have been recovering from a serious hand injury.

Not at all implying that Barrero will become an All-Star. Only saying that I would at least give him the off-season to fully recover and give him a little more latitude. It seems the only person Barrero is blocking right now is Farmer. None of the other hot shot minor league shortstops are ready yet.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

11. Likes:

elrojo (10-05-2022),mth123 (10-05-2022),UKFlounder (10-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Yeah, Aquino is 28 with 762 PA's, was never much of a prospect, and hadn't even made the majors yet at Barerro's age.
    And he doesn't play a premium glove position

13. Likes:

CaiGuy (10-05-2022),Chip R (10-06-2022),elrojo (10-05-2022),Old school 1983 (10-05-2022)

I rather have Senzel play short over Barrero at this point. I believe is Senzel ability to hit more than Barrero. His pitch recognition is aweful and not usually a thing that will magically get better. I am sorry a hand injury does not affect this and he had shown the inability to do this way before the injury.

Wander Franco had same injury this year and since coming back has a .853 ops .704 ops before injury. The article posted earlier in thread says that there is very minimal drop in numbers after injury (more along lines 0f .010-.025 ops)

Aquino will finish the season as the Reds 2022 leader in K's, even though he only played in 80 games.

16. Likes:

NebraskaRed (10-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I wonder if Aquino has given any thought to life after baseball?
    Cricket, perhaps? Maybe he could hit the ball with that fat ass stick they use.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

18. Likes:

Assembly Hall (10-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Aquino will finish the season as the Reds 2022 leader in K's, even though he only played in 80 games.
    If Barrero (43%+ SO%), and Aquino (36%+ SO%) each had 550 ABs and continued their rate, they would have over 1/3rd of the total team strikeouts the Guardians had (440 and change vs 1116)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

I believe Aquino will be gone next year. I do not believe Senzel or Barrero will be gone. Senzel will lose his starting position IMO. Barrero will be the starting shortstop on OD.

Of course, it’s all a guess. Senzel certainly became a lightening rod among fans this year. But that’s my guess knowing the Reds and how they operate. Both Senzel and Barrero, however, will be on borrowed time as young players emerge from the minor leagues.

I’ve said it before, but I think a huge part of Barrero’s issues stem from trying to be too aggressive, to make things happen. He is pressing because about 14 months ago, he was the golden boy of the farm system. He was the up and coming SS of the future. But over the off-season, the legend of Elly de La Cruz emerged, Barrero gets hurt, EDLC mania then completely takes over Reds Land, and suddenly Barrero is an afterthought. And that’s all before he even starts rehabbing at Louisville coming back from hand surgery. So yeah, I think he’s pressing, trying to make himself relevant again. It’s not working, but an off-season could help him calm down and come to ST in a better frame of mind.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-06-2022),Roy Tucker (10-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Cricket, perhaps? Maybe he could hit the ball with that fat ass stick they use.
    I’m no fan of cricket but, in addition to the speed, spin, curves and breaks made by the bowler, the batsman also has to deal with how the ball then comes at them from the grass after it bounces in front of them. You need a fat ass stick to handle that. The bigger question is whether the Reds should ask MLB for special permission to use such sticks next season to improve their hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I’ve said it before, but I think a huge part of Barrero’s issues stem from trying to be too aggressive, to make things happen. He is pressing because about 14 months ago, he was the golden boy of the farm system. He was the up and coming SS of the future. But over the off-season, the legend of Elly de La Cruz emerged, Barrero gets hurt, EDLC mania then completely takes over Reds Land, and suddenly Barrero is an afterthought. And that’s all before he even starts rehabbing at Louisville coming back from hand surgery. So yeah, I think he’s pressing, trying to make himself relevant again. It’s not working, but an off-season could help him calm down and come to ST in a better frame of mind.
    I agree, but his biggest problem is the failure to hit the slider.

He’s pressing, no doubt, but that breaking pitch off the corner just kills his chances. His pitch value ranking on Fangraphs for sliders is -9.1 and -4.7 per 100.

To be sure, even his hitting off fastballs has suffered. But unless Barrero can learn to deal with certain pitches in the arsenal, he’s going to have a difficult time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Same.

Aquino, certainly he's had his chances.
    Senzel, who knows how well he could play if he remained healthy, but at some point if he can't stay on the field AND produce, he loses his spot. But I'm not prepared to say he is not worth a roster spot.
    Barrero, I would say he's "crapped the bed" if he hadn't had surgery. Sometimes I feel like we expect these guys to jump back in at the highest level after an injury without skipping a beat. Barrero is both trying to figure it out while also still recovering to full physical health. I would not use this season as justification for moving on from this kid; I felt that way about India when he struggled in the minors and he proved I really have no idea. Nevertheless, he has to feel EDC bearing down on his spot and he needs to turn the corner soon.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?