Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquino

Re: Aquino

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    And how much more time and effort should Reds spend to see whether Aquino can maintain that decent fifth outfielder performance?
    We all know that Aquino is on the roster because he's cheap. That's the only reason. (Not saying you disagree)
    On a legitimate MLB team, he would not be given this many chances.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Likes:

Chip R (08-18-2022),Kc61 (08-12-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

The double play he made in the field today is why I want to keep him.

5. Likes:

corkedbat (08-17-2022),Ron Madden (08-17-2022)

Sorry I can't get the video of the play to load here
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 08-17-2022 at 07:33 PM.

7. Likes:

OldFashionedRed (08-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Broken link?

Try this one?

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...s/65408033007/
    Last edited by OldFashionedRed; 08-17-2022 at 07:34 PM.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-18-2022),Ron Madden (08-17-2022),UKFlounder (08-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
    The double play he made in the field today is why I want to keep him.
    There’s a history of great RFers with excellent throwing arms making a splash in the majors.

Most of them could hit.

11. Likes:

Chip R (08-18-2022),OldFashionedRed (08-17-2022),RiverRat13 (08-17-2022)

I think a more important question to ask is who is the most successful outfielder the Reds drafted in the last ten years. I'd hate to think the best we've done is Billy Hamilton.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Deagle View Post
    I think a more important question to ask is who is the most successful outfielder the Reds drafted in the last ten years. I'd hate to think the best we've done is Billy Hamilton.
    Well it’s certainly Jesse Winker.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-17-2022),Ron Madden (08-17-2022),Wonderful Monds (08-17-2022)

His inability to hit anything other than a straight fastball combined with that defense might work in NPB in 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Deagle View Post
    Last 25 years you have Bruce, Dunn, Kearns, Stubbs, Winker, Denorfia, Senzel, Ervin, Dickerson, LaMarre, ??? A few DSL signings as well.

Hamilton was drafted to play SS.

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-17-2022)

Aquino

Guy can’t hit breaking balls, but his arm is really a fun thing to soak up in this mess.

Find the beautiful things in the game and the rest really seems to settle in as you ingest more and more of it.

Baseball is hard, having five great tools is hard, this guys arm is a memory

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-18-2022),Revering4Blue (08-17-2022),Ron Madden (08-17-2022)

I have fond memories watching RF throwing arms as a kid. Clemente, Kaline, Colavito, Maris, Callison, Aaron. In those days, it was a prerequisite to RF, you had to be able to throw. Today, less so, as long as you can hit homers.

Aquino has an excellent arm, I just have trouble fitting him with those all around players, but I won’t deny that he’s a throwback defensively. Arm is both strong and accurate.

Defense used to be such a great part of baseball, the great shortstops like Ozzie Smith, Concepcion, Larry Bowa, and others. Today, they shift around the infield, hardly know what a shortstop is. He’s a guy playing short right field.

Ok, enough, sorry for the rant.

21. Likes:

Chip R (08-18-2022),Ron Madden (08-20-2022),UKFlounder (08-17-2022),westofyou (08-17-2022)

Aquino has given Reds fans many memorable memories, including his throw today which may be the best one. Even if this is his last season as a Red, I’m glad I got to see his Reds years, warts and all.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

23. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (08-18-2022),powersackers (08-18-2022),Ron Madden (08-17-2022)

He's cheap for another year. I have no problem bringing him back for another shot. even if it's as a 5th OF with an excellent arm/good fielder with occasional power. It's not like he's on a guaranteed LTC that you can cut and (however unlikely) maybe he finally "gets it." If nothing else, maybe he keeps a roster spot warm while a shortstop prospect works on converting to the OF down on the farm.

Just because he arrives at Spring Training a Red, doesn't necessarily mean he is one on Open Day (or the ends the season as one). I bring plenty of OF options to camp to choose from.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 08-17-2022 at 09:30 PM.

25. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-18-2022)

Haunted by walks

Aquino is like a bigger, stronger, not quite as fast Billy Hamilton.

They certainly have a lot more roster spots than they have worthy players. Aquino has more big-league ability than than most of the guys he'd be competing with for a spot. I hope they bring in enough guys to make that no longer true, but right now, there is no urgency to let him go. There are plenty of guys ahead of him in that line.

They can probably make enough room on the 40 man just by purging all the minor league pitchers and catchers taking up space on the roster. If they actually need the spot, he can easily be cut at any time.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

28. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-18-2022)

Turn Off Ads?