Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquino

Re: Aquino

Sometimes, enough is enough.

Aquino began in the Reds organization in 2011. He’s 28 years old and will play next season mostly at age 29 (April birthday).

His K rate gets worse by the season and is now over 40%. His OPS is .517 this year and since that hot first year, has been poor. He’s a good defender in RF, but corner outfielders need to hit.

He’s slated to be an arbitration player next season. Time to try somebody new. Non-tender or whatever.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-10-2022 at 09:00 AM.

2. Likes:

elrojo (08-10-2022),HammerTime (08-10-2022),mth123 (08-10-2022),REDREAD (08-12-2022),RiverRat13 (08-10-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

"There's nobody else behind him so might as well give him the at bats next year" is a comment I've seen on here but is not an answer a competent organization would give. Aquino should not be on the 2023 roster. It's true that the Reds have little outfield help coming but counting on every infield prospect becoming a legit major leaguer (and then moving some to the outfield) isn't a winning plan, either. This team should be looking to add at least one and probably two quality outfielders this offseason.

5. Likes:

elrojo (08-10-2022),REDREAD (08-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    "There's nobody else behind him so might as well give him the at bats next year" is a comment I've seen on here but is not an answer a competent organization would give. Aquino should not be on the 2023 roster. It's true that the Reds have little outfield help coming but counting on every infield prospect becoming a legit major leaguer (and then moving some to the outfield) isn't a winning plan, either. This team should be looking to add at least one and probably two quality outfielders this offseason.
    Next step for Reds OF. A step, not necessarily forever. Modest proposal for next season.

New LFer, LHH, maybe Benintendi or Conforto or whomever.

Keep CF temporarily with Senzel/Almora. Pending future development.

RF Fraley is LH platoon. New RH platoon to replace Aquino.

7. Likes:

elrojo (08-10-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by bamatank View Post
    Am i the only one that believes he would have been gone if not for his stellar defense?
    That and he works (relatively) cheap. However, you can say that about thousands of players in the history of MLB. David Concepcion used to be all defense, no bat. Juan Castro, Paul Janish the same. As for OFers, there have been plenty of guys who have fit the bill for the Reds this century. Some of them even batted at the top of the order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

9. Likes:

Marc D (08-10-2022),REDREAD (08-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Aquino began in the Reds organization in 2011. He’s 28 years old and will play next season mostly at age 29 (April birthday).

His K rate gets worse by the season and is now over 40%. His OPS is .517 this year and since that hot first year, has been poor. He’s a good defender in RF, but corner outfielders need to hit.

He’s slated to be an arbitration player next season. Time to try somebody new. Non-tender or whatever.
    Agreed, He's one of many who need to go. Just depends on who and how many they bring in. As of now, he's still one of the 13 best position players on the roster and arguably the best all around outfielder.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Next step for Reds OF. A step, not necessarily forever. Modest proposal for next season.

New LFer, LHH, maybe Benintendi or Conforto or whomever.

Keep CF temporarily with Senzel/Almora. Pending future development.

RF Fraley is LH platoon. New RH platoon to replace Aquino.
    I'd probably give Senzel another year and tell him he's on the bubble if his offense doesn't improve significantly. I'd look for 4 new guys to go with him. Maybe McLain would be one of them.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

elrojo (08-10-2022),REDREAD (08-12-2022)

He's in the Willy Mo Pena category to me of guys that had such impressive physical tools, that you wanted to see succeed so badly and finally had to give up on because it was obvious they just could not recognize/handle/hit breaking balls.

That is a different class than the all glove, no kind of special power types, that also can't handle breaking balls, that the Reds seem to have a limitless supply of.

No shame in it. Baseball is incredibly difficult but the page needs to be turned here.

14. Likes:

elrojo (08-10-2022),OldFashionedRed (08-10-2022),REDREAD (08-12-2022)

I've already passed on him as of last year. I'm no waffler.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

16. Likes:

REDREAD (08-12-2022)

He changed his stance back to when he was most successful, back to being more open, and has shown some success with that in the month that he’s been using it.

There is no need to make a decision on him right now. Let him play for the next two months and make a decision then. Right now, he doesn’t deserve a 40 man roster spot this off season. But he could earn that back with a solid end to this season.

But even that wouldn’t mean much, he would still need to win a roster spot in spring training next spring.
    Last edited by 757690; 08-10-2022 at 02:00 PM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Aquino works well as a 5th OF in my book. Can serve as both a defensive replacement and a threat to knock one out of the yard in a PH appearance. Given org depth, I imagine he's kept around at least for next season, his first arb year. I would be surprised if he made it past that unless he figures out how to hit something other than fastballs.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

19. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-10-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Aquino works well as a 5th OF in my book. Can serve as both a defensive replacement and a threat to knock one out of the yard in a PH appearance. Given org depth, I imagine he's kept around at least for next season, his first arb year. I would be surprised if he made it past that unless he figures out how to hit something other than fastballs.
    I doubt anyone offers him arbitration. He won't get a spot on our 40 man roster

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I doubt anyone offers him arbitration. He won't get a spot on our 40 man roster
    Perhaps. Perhaps they DFA him and offer him a minor league deal. They've got nothing better in house and I doubt they spend any money on the OF next year. How does he stack up to whomever else you bring in on the cheap?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (08-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Perhaps. Perhaps they DFA him and offer him a minor league deal. They've got nothing better in house and I doubt they spend any money on the OF next year. How does he stack up to whomever else you bring in on the cheap?
    I've lost track how many times he's been cut and cleared waivers. He's a sure thing to not get arbitration. It's debatable whether we want him back on a minor league deal but if we do, I'm sure we can have him

24. Likes:

REDREAD (08-12-2022)

I am unabashed in my wanting Aquino to be... more.

That said, I'd take him ten times out of ten over Senzel.

But yeah, both should be gone in 2023.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Reds will probably non-tender AA rather than offer him arb.

At that point, as a free agent, he’ll likely find another team.

Some team will be intrigued.

Turn Off Ads?