Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Aquino

Re: Aquino

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Dwight Evans, Andre Dawson, Dave Parker, and Ichiro all didn’t have negative value with their bat either lol
    I think you are overestimating what I think Aquino’s value is. At best, he’s a 4th/5th OF. A 1-2 WAR player.

He has a .650 OPS after his 2019 debut. I think that is reasonable for him to maintain. MLB history is filled with backup OF’ers with a .650 OPS and strong defense. He’s rare in that he’s providing his defensive value from RF, but I think it will be enough to make him a decent backup right fielder.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I think you are overestimating what I think Aquino’s value is. At best, he’s a 4th/5th OF. A 1-2 WAR player.

He has a .650 OPS after his 2019 debut. I think that is reasonable for him to maintain. MLB history is filled with backup OF’ers with a .650 OPS and strong defense. He’s rare in that he’s providing his defensive value from RF, but I think it will be enough to make him a decent backup right fielder.
    We’ll see, my thing is IMO I don’t think he’s even all that great defensively outside of the arm. So if he’s a .650 OPS bat who has a cannon for an arm, on the order of like 10 assists a season or so….idk, I’d honestly just use that roster spot on something else. Especially once he starts making arbitration dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    We’ll see, my thing is IMO I don’t think he’s even all that great defensively outside of the arm. So if he’s a .650 OPS bat who has a cannon for an arm, on the order of like 10 assists a season or so….idk, I’d honestly just use that roster spot on something else. Especially once he starts making arbitration dollars.
    Exactly. It’s a WAR fail that he is getting this sort of defensive reward. He’s okay, sure his arm is great but does that really make up for his myriad flaws elsewhere? Absolutely not. Even as a backup guy. Time to move on.

5. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (09-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Exactly. It’s a WAR fail that he is getting this sort of defensive reward. He’s okay, sure his arm is great but does that really make up for his myriad flaws elsewhere? Absolutely not. Even as a backup guy. Time to move on.
    “WAR sucks” is the least convincing argument ever. It’s the online equivalent of holding your hands over your ears and yelling “lalalalalalalalalalalalala.”

I agree. Time to
    Move on quickly. He doesn’t deserve more time here.

If we’re going to dwell on small samples, take a look at Aquino’s last 7 day numbers. Same old, same old.

And he’s 0 for 19 with one walk very recently.

Not that it means much, but if we want to focus on his hot streaks, the current one may have fizzled. We’ll see how he does against the Brewers.

9. Likes:

elrojo (09-22-2022)

“WAR sucks” is the least convincing argument ever. It’s the online equivalent of holding your hands over your ears and yelling “lalalalalalalalalalalalala.”
    1. Not what I said
    2. Not sure why you’d want to, but you can die on the WAR cross and only about 2 others on this entire board will care.
    3. Aquino has 1.7 bWAR. I don’t need to dissect the decimal points of that number to know it’s a bad gauge of his season. If you disagree that’s fine, literally the last thing I want is a back and forth with 757690 on RZ.

11. Likes:

Chip R (09-22-2022),westofyou (09-22-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    1. Not what I said
    2. Not sure why you’d want to, but you can die on the WAR cross and only about 2 others on this entire board will care.
    3. Aquino has 1.7 bWAR. I don’t need to dissect the decimal points of that number to know it’s a bad gauge of his season. If you disagree that’s fine, literally the last thing I want is a back and forth with 757690 on RZ.
    One of the main purposes of WAR and Sabermetrics as a whole is to reveal to us when the hard data, the facts, the details, contradict what we see with out eyes.

Many Reds fans watched Adam Dunn and thought, “he walks too much,” or just that he wasn’t that valuable at the plate. Sabermetrics (Dunn started playing before WAR existed) revealed that he was extremely valuable at the plate, due to facts that we couldn’t pick up with the “eye test.”

That is why saying “This WAR is wrong because my eyes tell me so” is such a terrible argument. It doesn’t advance anything. It’s okay to disagree with WAR, but give a reason why, beyond, “my eyes say so.”

Monds and Bateman did that, they argued that his defense was unsustainable, which is a good point, and it continues the discussion. No need to worry about a long back and forth with me over this, because you provided nothing to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If we’re going to dwell on small samples, take a look at Aquino’s last 7 day numbers. Same old, same old.

And he’s 0 for 19 with one walk very recently.

Not that it means much, but if we want to focus on his hot streaks, the current one may have fizzled. We’ll see how he does against the Brewers.
    Like every other person who has played the game, he's not going to maintain his adjustment, as difficult as it was for him, without regressing back to former approaches and ways. It's a constant refocus of getting back to what was working with the adjustments. He'll need many months of continuous refocusing for it to stick enough to get rid of the old habits. That won't be accomplished this season, but the rest of this season, what he does over the Winter (he should do some type of Carribean baseball, or something to keep him active), Spring Training and the first half of next season is part of the process. Because of Senzel's injury, I feel he's a lost cause. Friedl won't need any long adjustment as he's always made adjustments throughout his professional career, all of them successful so far.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Like every other person who has played the game, he's not going to maintain his adjustment, as difficult as it was for him, without regressing back to former approaches and ways. It's a constant refocus of getting back to what was working with the adjustments. He'll need many months of continuous refocusing for it to stick enough to get rid of the old habits. That won't be accomplished this season, but the rest of this season, what he does over the Winter (he should do some type of Carribean baseball, or something to keep him active), Spring Training and the first half of next season is part of the process. Because of Senzel's injury, I feel he's a lost cause. Friedl won't need any long adjustment as he's always made adjustments throughout his professional career, all of them successful so far.
    I don’t agree on Aquino. He strikes out too much. I don’t see any reason to think that’s going to change.

15. Likes:

elrojo (09-22-2022)

I don’t agree on Aquino. He strikes out too much. I don’t see any reason to think that’s going to change.
    Saurez leads the Major Leagues in Strikeouts.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Saurez leads the Major Leagues in Strikeouts.
    Strikeouts are a problem for Suarez, but he often compensates for them with production.

Aquino has the problem but not the production.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-22-2022 at 09:14 PM.

18. Likes:

Chip R (09-23-2022),elrojo (09-22-2022),goreds2 (09-22-2022),Ky Fried Redleg (09-22-2022)

Strikeouts are a problem for Suarez, but he often compensates for them with production.

Aquino has the problem but not the production.
    So it seems then that strikeouts are not the problem, his production is.

So it seems then that strikeouts are not the problem, his production is.
    Production is always the bottom line. But when you strike out excessively, it becomes more difficult to produce adequately.

So the strikeouts are very much the problem, especially at a 36% K rate. That leaves only 64% of his plate appearances available for a successful outcome.

Production is always the bottom line. But when you strike out excessively, it becomes more difficult to produce adequately.

So the strikeouts are very much the problem, especially at a 36% K rate. That leaves only 64% of his plate appearances available for a successful outcome.
    But strikeouts aren’t a problem for Suarez, and a few others.

It’s not just the K’s with Aquino, it’s that he doesn’t do much with the other PA’s either.

Turn Off Ads?