Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: Aquino

Re: Aquino

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I believe Aquino will be gone next year. I do not believe Senzel or Barrero will be gone. Senzel will lose his starting position IMO. Barrero will be the starting shortstop on OD.

Of course, it’s all a guess. Senzel certainly became a lightening rod among fans this year. But that’s my guess knowing the Reds and how they operate. Both Senzel and Barrero, however, will be on borrowed time as young players emerge from the minor leagues.
    I think Barrero needs a real shot where he's healthy and ready to go. He should be the starting SS next year at least for a couple of months if not all year.

In Senzel's case, I thought the same coming into the season and he got that shot and stunk up the joint. He's arb eligible and will be 28 in June. He's out of time IMO.

Agree on Aquino, time to move on.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

Jaysland Red (10-06-2022),LeatherPants (10-06-2022),Mitri (10-06-2022),Old school 1983 (10-06-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think Barrero needs a real shot where he's healthy and ready to go. He should be the starting SS next year at least for a couple of months if not all year.

In Senzel's case, I thought the same coming into the season and he got that shot and stunk up the joint. He's arb eligible and will be 28 in June. He's out of time IMO.

Agree on Aquino, time to move on.
    Barrero has been healthy for months including his entire time in Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    Barrero has been healthy for months including his entire time in Cincinnati
    I get it, but who knows what crazy adjustments he was making in his rehab and how it all affected him. He came back cold and had to restart his season. No telling what kind of bad habits he may have fallen into. He put up big numbers in the minors in 2021, Too soon to give up on him. He'll be 25 shortly after opening day next year. Much different than 28.

If next year, we see more of the same, it will be time to send him back down at some point (I'd say he has until end of May to show some respectability at the plate - say a .700 or so OPS).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I agree, but his biggest problem is the failure to hit the slider.

He’s pressing, no doubt, but that breaking pitch off the corner just kills his chances. His pitch value ranking on Fangraphs for sliders is -9.1 and -4.7 per 100.

To be sure, even his hitting off fastballs has suffered. But unless Barrero can learn to deal with certain pitches in the arsenal, he’s going to have a difficult time.
    Oh, I agree 100%. But going back and watching video from last year from Louisville before he was called up, he looked much more comfortable with those breaking pitches than he did this year. Last year, his struggle with breaking balls looked like typical rookie growing pains. But this year, he looked completely overmatched - even while rehabbing at AAA. It’s like watching two different players.

I just happen to think that he’s trying too hard to emulate EDLC’s aggressive approach. And we’ve had discussions about ELDC’s tendencies to chase sliders out of the strike zone as well, except EDLC seems to be able to get away with it thus far.

I want to say again, I don’t think Barrero will ever be a perennial All-Star. But he could still be a productive role player, even if he ends up as the backup SS behind EDLC or Marte or Arroyo or whoever the next SS is. It’s just a little early to toss out a guy who was a top 40 prospect a season ago, especially after the injury he suffered.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Aquino still has some trade potential as he's shown a great arm - some team probably figures they can fix his offense enough to make him palatable.

Barrero has zero value at this point- in a world where resources aren't aligned with payroll and management's head isn't up certain body parts, he probably starts with the Reds in the spring as a utility player (SS/OF/3B) but unless he hits like crazy in Spring Training and continues into the season. I'd have Farmer at SS until the next SS in the organization shows up. I honestly don't know what you do with Barrero at this point.

Senzel - he'll likely be dfa'd, go to St. Louis and torture all of us for the next decade and never go on the dl again, because that's the world we live in.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Aquino still has some trade potential as he's shown a great arm - some team probably figures they can fix his offense enough to make him palatable.

Barrero has zero value at this point- in a world where resources aren't aligned with payroll and management's head isn't up certain body parts, he probably starts with the Reds in the spring as a utility player (SS/OF/3B) but unless he hits like crazy in Spring Training and continues into the season. I'd have Farmer at SS until the next SS in the organization shows up. I honestly don't know what you do with Barrero at this point.

Senzel - he'll likely be dfa'd, go to St. Louis and torture all of us for the next decade and never go on the dl again, because that's the world we live in.
    Barrero has way more value than Aquino

He plays a premium position, he has options and he is younger

9. Likes:

missionhockey21 (10-07-2022),Ron Madden (10-07-2022)

HE was just DFAd and no one wanted him. No one is giving up anything of value for him.

I think Barrero is the starting SS out of Spring Training until one of the young guns takes it from him. I could see Jose hanging around for 2-3 more seasons as a reserve.

Turn Off Ads?