Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquino

Re: Aquino

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I have fond memories watching RF throwing arms as a kid. Clemente, Kaline, Colavito, Maris, Callison, Aaron. In those days, it was a prerequisite to RF, you had to be able to throw. Today, less so, as long as you can hit homers.

Aquino has an excellent arm, I just have trouble fitting him with those all around players, but I won’t deny that he’s a throwback defensively. Arm is both strong and accurate.

Defense used to be such a great part of baseball, the great shortstops like Ozzie Smith, Concepcion, Larry Bowa, and others. Today, they shift around the infield, hardly know what a shortstop is. He’s a guy playing short right field.

Ok, enough, sorry for the rant.
    All great arms.

What's so obvious now is if you look at the OF arms of the early 60's you'll find that almost every arm in the NL was a black ballplayer and every arm in the AL was a white guy. Really highlights the slow integration of the AL vs the NL

2. Likes:

Chip R (08-18-2022),elrojo (08-18-2022),HokieRed (08-19-2022),Ron Madden (08-18-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Are we certain Aquino will be arbitration eligible in 2023? He was off the Reds 40 man roster this year from April 30-May 20. Regardless, I seriously doubt the Reds will give him a 40 man roster spot this off season
    If the Reds remove everyone from the 40 man roster that should be removed, there will be about 15 to 20 openings. Here are guys who should be on the 40 man based on talent IMO:

Stephenson
    Votto
    India
    Farmer
    Barrero
    FRaley
    Steer
    De La Cruz
    Marte
    Reynolds

That's 10 position players and Reynolds could go either way.

Pitchers
    Greene
    Lodolo
    Ashcraft
    Williamson
    Diaz
    Antone
    SanMartin
    Hoffman
    Overton
    Dunn
    Santillan
    11 Pitchers

Thats' 21 and a few of those aren't must protect guys.

Obviously I'd add some others, but Aquino is just as deserving as any of the other suspects who might be on the list. Guys like Vellojin, Free, Siani, Vlad, Quintana, Sims, Friedl, Senzel and maybe Almora are likely protected, but any could be cut loose any time either because they are probably too far away from big league ready for anyone to take or they simply would be no big loss. For the sake of actually having a team, I'd protect 39 or 40 names, but I hope they sign about 8 to 10 big league guys who push some of those suspects off the roster.

The other good prospects like McLain, Encarnacion-Strand, Phillips, Boyle, Arroyo etc don't need to be added yet. They won't be eligible for rule 5.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

5. Likes:

elrojo (08-18-2022),Revering4Blue (08-18-2022)

Why would anyone want to get rid of Aquino? As a defensive replacement, he's unique and IMO more valuable than other outfield defensive replacements. Reason being is that he's a power hitter with a very low batting average. Most players considered defensive replacements are weak hitting and certainly don't usually possess home run power. So you're leading by one or two runs and you send Aquino out there. Opposing team somehow ties it up and while in extra innings, you still have that guy that can put the game away with one swing of the bat. My memory of extra inning games are a much weaker lineup trying to eek out a run or two while 80 percent of your best hitters are on the bench due to pinch running or defensive replacing.

Aquino as a starter, weak. Aquino as a defensive replacement late in game, very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If the Reds remove everyone from the 40 man roster that should be removed, there will be about 15 to 20 openings. Here are guys who should be on the 40 man based on talent IMO:

Stephenson
    Votto
    India
    Farmer
    Barrero
    FRaley
    Steer
    De La Cruz
    Marte
    Reynolds

That's 10 position players and Reynolds could go either way.

Pitchers
    Greene
    Lodolo
    Ashcraft
    Williamson
    Diaz
    Antone
    SanMartin
    Hoffman
    Overton
    Dunn
    Santillan
    11 Pitchers

Thats' 21 and a few of those aren't must protect guys.

Obviously I'd add some others, but Aquino is just as deserving as any of the other suspects who might be on the list. Guys like Vellojin, Free, Siani, Vlad, Quintana, Sims, Friedl, Senzel and maybe Almora are likely protected, but any could be cut loose any time either because they are probably too far away from big league ready for anyone to take or they simply would be no big loss. For the sake of actually having a team, I'd protect 39 or 40 names, but I hope they sign about 8 to 10 big league guys who push some of those suspects off the roster.

The other good prospects like McLain, Encarnacion-Strand, Phillips, Boyle, Arroyo etc don't need to be added yet. They won't be eligible for rule 5.
    I’d non-tender Hoffman. I disagree on Aquino. When you strike out 10X more than you walk, there’s a problem, especially when you’ll play mostly as a 29 year old next season.

Aquino is my blindspot.

btw, he had hamate surgery this year too.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Aquino is my blindspot. We

btw, he had hamate surgery this year too.
    It was April 2021

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...e-surgery.html
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

10. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-18-2022)

I’d non-tender Hoffman. I disagree on Aquino. When you strike out 10X more than you walk, there’s a problem, especially when you’ll play mostly as a 29 year old next season.
    Of course there is a problem. Keeping any of those guys I named is a problem. I think Aquino has more actual big league abilities than many of the other suspects. I see 21 actual keepers. That means another 18 or 19 will be protected who the team could do without if they add some actual major league talent, but right now, they don't have that talent so Aquino, Sims. Vlad and others the team would be better off replacing with somebody better probably get protected. For Aquino to be cut loose, they would need 19 other guys that they should protect ahead of him. They don't have close to that many.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    DON'T USE FACTS!!!!

he's my blind spot.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

14. Likes:

Roy Tucker (08-19-2022)

Of course there is a problem. Keeping any of those guys I named is a problem. I think Aquino has more actual big league abilities than many of the other suspects. I see 21 actual keepers. That means another 18 or 19 will be protected who the team could do without if they add some actual major league talent, but right now, they don't have that talent so Aquino, Sims. Vlad and others the team would be better off replacing with somebody better probably get protected. For Aquino to be cut loose, they would need 19 other guys that they should protect ahead of him. They don't have close to that many.
    Aquino may have more actual big league abilities than others but they are unfortunately overcome by his deficiencies. You have to look at the net result.

If I were GM, I’d (sadly) let AA go today. I say sadly because he seems like a good guy and he does have his talents. But he’ll play most of next season at age 29, he isn’t part of the future, he’s had lots of chances, and it’s time.

16. Likes:

Chip R (08-19-2022)

Aquino may have more actual big league abilities than others but they are unfortunately overcome by his deficiencies. You have to look at the net result.

If I were GM, I’d (sadly) let AA go today. I say sadly because he seems like a good guy and he does have his talents. But he’ll play most of next season at age 29, he isn’t part of the future, he’s had lots of chances, and it’s time.
    Lets assume we leave a spot open to take a rule 5 guy. Who are the 39 players you'd protect ahead of Aquino? I get to 20 or 21 and then they all pretty much all have a fowl smell in their own individual ways.

Just because they protect him doesn't mean they are marrying him. If they suddenly have 39 or 40 guys better than him, either through other acquisitions or some of the internal guys blow the stink off, cut him then. They don't need to decide anything until next season starts. Right now they don't have enough competent players to fill a 26-man roster (or even a 15 man roster). I think Aquino is less incompetent than the others they'd keep instead.

Lets assume we leave a spot open to take a rule 5 guy. Who are the 39 players you'd protect ahead of Aquino? I get to 20 or 21 and then they all pretty much all have a fowl smell in their own individual ways.

Just because they protect him doesn't mean they are marrying him. If they suddenly have 39 or 40 guys better than him, either through other acquisitions or some of the internal guys blow the stink off, cut him then. They don't need to decide anything until next season starts. Right now they don't have enough competent players to fill a 26-man roster (or even a 15 man roster). I think Aquino is less incompetent than the others they'd keep instead.
    According to BR, Aquino is arbitration eligible. He’s also out of options.

I’d rather protect an extra pre-arb prospect. I don’t care if he has the potential Aquino once did.

Aquino is now a veteran player and he is striking out 40% of the time. His strikeout numbers have become worse over time. Nice guy apparently, excellent arm, wish him the best, but time to move on.

Keeping him on roster makes him a candidate for next season. I would end that candidacy.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-19-2022 at 04:01 PM.

19. Likes:

Chip R (08-19-2022)

According to BR, Aquino is arbitration eligible.

I’d rather protect an extra pre-arb prospect. I don’t care if he has the potential Aquino once did.

Aquino is now a veteran player and he is striking out 40% of the time. His strikeout numbers have become worse over time. Nice guy apparently, but time to go.
    Then they can non-tender him before the deadline in November if they can't work out a cheap contract or deal him away before then. They don't need to cut him today. Of the 20 guys I mentioned protecting 4 are minor leaguers and 7 are on the IL. That means only 9 Guys on the current roster are really worth protecting. Plenty of guys to cut loose. I just don't think Aquino is first in line.

21. Likes:

757690 (08-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Why would anyone want to get rid of Aquino? As a defensive replacement, he's unique and IMO more valuable than other outfield defensive replacements.
    The same reasoning was thrown out about Billy Hamilton too.

Reason being is that he's a power hitter with a very low batting average. Most players considered defensive replacements are weak hitting and certainly don't usually possess home run power.
    He's hit 16 Hrs in the last three years. He is a weak hitter .... 209 .285 .434 .719 lifetime line.

Roster spots are too valuable to waste on his likes. He's 28 years old. What you see is what you get. The "experiment" needs to end. They need to re-DFA him (lol) IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    He's hit 16 Hrs in the last three years. He is a weak hitter .... 209 .285 .434 .719 lifetime line.

Roster spots are too valuable to waste on his likes. He's 28 years old. What you see is what you get. The "experiment" needs to end. They need to re-DFA him (lol) IMO.
    Even 5th OFers/defensive replacements have better slash lines than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

24. Likes:

GAC (08-21-2022)

Then they can non-tender him before the deadline in November if they can't work out a cheap contract or deal him away before then. They don't need to cut him today. Of the 20 guys I mentioned protecting 4 are minor leaguers and 7 are on the IL. That means only 9 Guys on the current roster are really worth protecting. Plenty of guys to cut loose. I just don't think Aquino is first in line.
    Aquino is not only on the forty. He’s on the 26 man active roster. Give Friedl his playing time for the rest of this season. Bring up a RHH kid to platoon. I literally don’t care who they choose.

Sometimes enough is enough. Get all those strikeouts out of the lineup now. I see Friedl is getting the start tonight, a positive step.

Let AA pursue other opportunities, I wish him well.

Turn Off Ads?