Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Votto's Hitting Mechanics

Votto's Hitting Mechanics

I don't profess to be an expert by any means on hitting, but has anyone noticed the flaw in Joey Votto's swing where he moves his rear plant foot backwards when he swings. As a youth coach for many years, I always taught my players to plant their back foot and pivot on that foot as they swing. I have always thought you generated power by driving off the back leg. By moving and sliding the foot during the swing, it looks like Votto loses some of his power. The Reds are paying a hitting coach to notice such things, but two years ago I noted that Votto was tying himself into a knot with his unorthodox swing. He was making it nearly impossible to get a full extension on his swing. The result was a ton of groundouts and warning track flyball outs. No one in the organization must have thought it was a problem because it continued until late in the season when Votto made a change in his stance and swing that elevated his power. It's time for someone to let him know about his back foot.
    Last edited by frostj14; 08-07-2022 at 04:56 PM.

2. Likes:

KeefeCato (08-07-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto's Hitting Mechanics

Not a big deal for the most part, IMO. Look at Harper & Trout, both have their back foot off the ground at contact. They are generating power by slamming their back knee, rotating the hips and shifting all their weight forward at the point of contact.

5. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (08-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Not a big deal for the most part, IMO. Look at Harper & Trout, both have their back foot off the ground at contact. They are generating power by slamming their back knee, rotating the hips and shifting all their weight forward at the point of contact.
    Yeah, you see it a lot nowadays.

Hell, even in golf when you watch some of the younger golfers trying to get everything out of their drives.

7. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (08-07-2022)

As a coach for over 30 years, I have always resisted trying to put all players in the same fundamentals box...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-08-2022)

Turn Off Ads?