Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What position does Elly de La Cruz end up playing for the Reds?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • SS

18 38.30%
  • 3B

5 10.64%
  • CF

24 51.06%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Elly’s Landing Spot

Re: Elly’s Landing Spot

I like this alignment using the current building blocks and the potential building blocks.

1B -
    2B - McClain
    SS - Barrero
    3B - India
    C - Stephenson
    LF -
    CF - De La Cruz
    RF - Marte
    DH -

That team could really be good on both sides of the ball. Hopefully Encarnacion-Strand keeps it up and takes one of those corner spots. Steer is probably more of a role player, but he could factor in somewhere.

For me, it's not about moving De La Cruz to make room for Barrero or anyone else, but about putting him in the spot that is best for the team, and where he can give the most value. I think that could be CF. The team should deploy the optimal defensive and offensive alignment whatever that is.

Corner OF is definitely the logical place to look outside of the org for help.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Curious why you think McLain will be a better infielder than Marte or Elly, everything I’ve heard seems to indicate the opposite. McLain played 50 games as an OF in college. Neither Marte nor Elly has ever played OF.
    Go BLUE!!!

4. Likes:

HokieRed (08-10-2022)

Not all of these prospects are going to be REDS. Some will be traded for whatever the team needs.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    What position will Elly end up playing for the Reds? Is he the next Eric Davis, Barry Larkin or Manny Machado? Feel free to add your color as to why, and who ends up in the other two positions - is it Noelvi? McLain? Barrero? Arroyo?
    EDLC's length, speed, instincts and arm would play well in CF or RF. I could easily see him sticking at SS, but with so many SS prospects percolating through the system...

I'm eventually move Marte to 3B and McLain to LF, For thr time being, As a bridge, I'd have Barreo or one of the above guys at SS, but my ultimate choice at SS would probably by Arroyo (with Acosta & Cabrera hot on his heels). Ycould also see them eventually deal India for corner OF or catching help &/or pitching with Steer at 2B.

Probably wouldn't do it, but you could probably fashio. A pretty respectable OF out of McLain - De La Cruz - Marte

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    EDLC's length, speed, instincts and arm would play well in CF or RF. I could easily see him sticking at SS, but with so many SS prospects percolating through the system...

I'm eventually move Marte to 3B and McLain to LF, For thr time being, As a bridge, I'd have Barreo or one of the above guys at SS, but my ultimate choice at SS would probably by Arroyo (with Acosta & Cabrera hot on his heels). Ycould also see them eventually deal India for corner OF or catching help &/or pitching with Steer at 2B.

Probably wouldn't do it, but you could probably fashio. A pretty respectable OF out of McLain - De La Cruz - Marte
    The Reds have set it up so there are several talented versatile moving parts for the Reds future lineup by 2024.

De La Cruz (SS/CF/RF)
    Marte (SS/3B/CF)
    McLain (SS/3B/2B/LF/CF)
    Arroyo (SS)
    Steer (2B/3B/LF)
    Encaraion-Strand (1B/DH)
    McGarry (1B/LF/DH)
    Vallojin (C)

I'd say India & Stephenson could still be around,, but I think a lot depends on their bat development over the next 1.5 years or so. I like quite a bit and the duo are the two guys most likely to be approached about extentions, but I'm not sure either is an elite bat I'd feel comfortable offering a 7-figure deal (considering how few of those the Reds Are gonna dole out- especially if Tyler has to move out from behind the plate). His bat is near-elite as a catcher, but @ 1B...?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Curious why you think McLain will be a better infielder than Marte or Elly, everything I’ve heard seems to indicate the opposite. McLain played 50 games as an OF in college. Neither Marte nor Elly has ever played OF.
    Fair point. I like Elly in CF, but as some have said, he is the guy you build around so maybe you leave him be. Marte is maybe the "weakest" defender of the group so he moves for sure. I still like Berrero, and he is maybe the strongest defender so he stays in the MI. Maybe he doesn't hit enough to stick anyways, but I hope so. I hope they keep India, but he should move off of the MI as there are better defenders incoming, so 3B makes sense to me. That leaves Marte for the corner OF. But maybe Barrero plays his way out of the picture and there is space on the IF for him as well.

This could also work, as McLain should have the wheels for CF. Not sure about his arm.

1B -
    2B - Barrero
    SS - De La Cruz
    3B - India
    C - Stephenson
    LF -
    CF - McClain
    RF - Marte (or LF)
    DH

That middle infield defense would be lit. Heck, Marte's bat may even play 1B, which he is probably going to be big enough to play.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Fair point. I like Elly in CF, but as some have said, he is the guy you build around so maybe you leave him be. Marte is maybe the "weakest" defender of the group so he moves for sure. I still like Berrero, and he is maybe the strongest defender so he stays in the MI. Maybe he doesn't hit enough to stick anyways, but I hope so. I hope they keep India, but he should move off of the MI as there are better defenders incoming, so 3B makes sense to me. That leaves Marte for the corner OF. But maybe Barrero plays his way out of the picture and there is space on the IF for him as well.

This could also work, as McLain should have the wheels for CF. Not sure about his arm.

1B -
    2B - Barrero
    SS - De La Cruz
    3B - India
    C - Stephenson
    LF -
    CF - McClain
    RF - Marte (or LF)
    DH

That middle infield defense would be lit. Heck, Marte's bat may even play 1B, which he is probably going to be big enough to play.

Don't see Barrero as a 2nd baseman. for me he is either at short or RF

I think it is more likely Barrero is out of the equation by spring 2024 than he is in the lineup at SS for the Reds
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by brian5562 View Post
    Don't see Barrero as a 2nd baseman. for me he is either at short or RF
    Barrero is not a starter unless he greatly improves at the plate. I wouldn't pencil him in as a starter at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Barrero is not a starter unless he greatly improves at the plate. I wouldn't pencil him in as a starter at this point
    I agree with this whole-heartedly. If you cannot lay off low and away and strike out constantly you will be out of baseball quickly. Unless for some reason your name is Aristides Aquino and you play for the Reds.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I'd actually like to see him be more aggressive at the plate. He is laying off a lot of first pitch strikes. Most of the time it's the best pitch he sees. He keeps getting behind in the count and as mentioned then chases the outside breaking ball..

Elly's landing spot is probably the Dodgers after he and Brandon Williamson are traded with Mike Moustakis for a rental of the ghost of Cody Bellinger and backup AA catcher.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Elly's landing spot is probably the Dodgers after he and Brandon Williamson are traded with Mike Moustakis for a rental of the ghost of Cody Bellinger and backup AA catcher.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

16. Likes:

camisadelgolf (08-11-2022),klw (08-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?