Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What position does Elly de La Cruz end up playing for the Reds?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • SS

18 38.30%
  • 3B

5 10.64%
  • CF

24 51.06%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elly’s Landing Spot

Elly’s Landing Spot

What position will Elly end up playing for the Reds? Is he the next Eric Davis, Barry Larkin or Manny Machado? Feel free to add your color as to why, and who ends up in the other two positions - is it Noelvi? McLain? Barrero? Arroyo?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Elly’s Landing Spot

Anywhere but catcher, please.

Think it’s all tbd. SS will depend on Barrero’s performance and Arroyos progress through the minors. 3b will depend on Marte’s progress through the minors. Or Steer’s performance. I think the Reds have the infield spots covered. I go CF or RF with him unless Barrero just tanks I’m his audition. Then SS until Arroyo comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Think it’s all tbd. SS will depend on Barrero’s performance and Arroyos progress through the minors. 3b will depend on Marte’s progress through the minors. Or Steer’s performance. I think the Reds have the infield spots covered. I go CF or RF with him unless Barrero just tanks I’m his audition. Then SS until Arroyo comes up.
    Generally agree with this, although I think usually you want to build everything else around your cornerstones. In other words, while I think Barrero and Arroyo's performance will have some impact on the outcome, I think Elly has the chance to be the kind of generational player that you accommodate first, and everything else slots in around him.

If Barrero shows he can OPS at least .750+ consistently while playing great defense in Cincy over the next 100 games (stretching into next Spring), then I'd consider moving Elly to CF or 3B, probably in that order. But if Barrero falls short of that and Elly shows consistently that he can stick at SS, I'd leave him there and figure everyone else out around him. That probably means McLain to 2B or CF (depending on whether you move India off 2B), Marte to 3B, and Arroyo as eventual trade bait.
    Go BLUE!!!

I will say CF. Reds have a ton of infield prospects coming up so somebody needs to move to the OF. Assuming there is nothing odd, like no ability to track a fly ball, I think his tools could make him an incredible CF

7. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-09-2022),SidneySlicker (08-08-2022)

Elly is a possible generational player. You don't move a guy like that off the position he wants to play especially when he plays it well.

9. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (08-08-2022),Tuff Nut (08-08-2022)

Prospects are too unpredictable to start moving the top two guys around the field.

I’m sticking with Elly at short and Marte at third for now.

The move to CF is a big deal. It takes time. It’s a big adjustment and I’m not doing it unless necessary.

If Arroyo or Barrero prove to be essential at short, I’ll worry about it then.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Generally agree with this, although I think usually you want to build everything else around your cornerstones. In other words, while I think Barrero and Arroyo's performance will have some impact on the outcome, I think Elly has the chance to be the kind of generational player that you accommodate first, and everything else slots in around him.

If Barrero shows he can OPS at least .750+ consistently while playing great defense in Cincy over the next 100 games (stretching into next Spring), then I'd consider moving Elly to CF or 3B, probably in that order. But if Barrero falls short of that and Elly shows consistently that he can stick at SS, I'd leave him there and figure everyone else out around him. That probably means McLain to 2B or CF (depending on whether you move India off 2B), Marte to 3B, and Arroyo as eventual trade bait.
    I think Arroyo may be the best of the players the Reds traded for this off-season. As far as trade bait, I trade guys who are not elite corner stones and have a year or two of control left. Fill the gap with a prospect or platoon.

I agree with KC. What makes him special is he also reminds me of a switch hitting Eric Davis.

I think Arroyo may be the best of the players the Reds traded for this off-season. As far as trade bait, I trade guys who are not elite corner stones and have a year or two of control left. Fill the gap with a prospect or platoon.
    Maybe, and I certainly wouldn't be looking to move him now - or likely in the next 12 months.

But let's say Elly ends up sticking at SS, and Noelvi is at 3B, India stays at 2B and McLain is in CF. It's the trade deadline in 2023 or even December 2023, the Reds are poised to contend in 2024, and you have an opportunity to get a young Mat Latos type SP or a Riley Greene/Andrew Vaughn-type corner bat to complement the rest of that core. You're not moving Arroyo, who is blocked at that point by Elly, in that deal?

I think Arroyo has the best chance to stick at SS of any of the prospects, but I'm not sure I'm taking his bat ahead of Elly or Noelvi. Therefore if Elly can play SS, I think there's a decent chance that Arroyo's best value to the Reds could be as eventual trade bait.
    Go BLUE!!!

14. Likes:

WrongVerb (08-08-2022)

Maybe, and I certainly wouldn't be looking to move him now - or likely in the next 12 months.

But let's say Elly ends up sticking at SS, and Noelvi is at 3B, India stays at 2B and McLain is in CF. It's the trade deadline in 2023 or even December 2023, the Reds are poised to contend in 2024, and you have an opportunity to get a young Mat Latos type SP or a Riley Greene/Andrew Vaughn-type corner bat to complement the rest of that core. You're not moving Arroyo, who is blocked at that point by Elly, in that deal?

I think Arroyo has the best chance to stick at SS of any of the prospects, but I'm not sure I'm taking his bat ahead of Elly or Noelvi. Therefore if Elly can play SS, I think there's a decent chance that Arroyo's best value to the Reds could be as eventual trade bait.
    I move India in that situation. Likely not at the deadline. If these guys all look legit and India bounces back some, I look to move him for LH hitting guys who are close or some pitching too. If he’s healthy and you shop him, you’ll get a haul.

16. Likes:

Marc D (08-08-2022)

I move India in that situation. Likely not at the deadline. If these guys all look legit and India bounces back some, I look to move him for LH hitting guys who are close or some pitching too. If he’s healthy and you shop him, you’ll get a haul.
    Usually a team giving up an MLB-ready impact player wants the prospect, not the arb-eligible vet who will be a FA in 2 years. India can also move to LF and carry similar value, whereas Arroyo’s value is locked up in his position as a SS (who is blocked in this scenario).
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Prospects are too unpredictable to start moving the top two guys around the field.

I’m sticking with Elly at short and Marte at third for now.

The move to CF is a big deal. It takes time. It’s a big adjustment and I’m not doing it unless necessary.

If Arroyo or Barrero prove to be essential at short, I’ll worry about it then.
    I really like the thought of EDC in CF, but this is probably the more level-headed approach. That being said he seems to be very mature, so I don't see a problem in going to him and saying hey what do you think about learning the position. If he says no, no harm no foul full speed ahead at SS. If he's agreeable than you work with him to devise a plan to move forward.

I think CF is the place. His level speed is best used in the OF where there a lot of ground to cover. SS is more about quickness, and you don't have to be blazing fast to cover a lot of ground there.

As long as he carries what he's doing offensively to the big leagues, I don't really care that much where he plays.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

20. Likes:

Mitri (08-08-2022)

Usually a team giving up an MLB-ready impact player wants the prospect, not the arb-eligible vet who will be a FA in 2 years. India can also move to LF and carry similar value, whereas Arroyo’s value is locked up in his position as a SS (who is blocked in this scenario).
    Be a little more proactive then and move India to a contender at this coming deadline for some left handed pieces and pitching. Caveats apply. If India is proving to be a cornerstone…keep him. Or if the prospects hit walls. Keep him.

22. Likes:

Marc D (08-08-2022)

Turn Off Ads?