Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What position does Elly de La Cruz end up playing for the Reds?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • SS

18 38.30%
  • 3B

5 10.64%
  • CF

24 51.06%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elly’s Landing Spot

Re: Elly’s Landing Spot

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Think it’s all tbd. SS will depend on Barrero’s performance and Arroyos progress through the minors..
    I disagree emphatically with this point. If the Reds see it this way I would be furious.

Elly's landing spot will depend on one thing and one thing only: Elly De La Cruz.

He looks like a generational superstar. You absolutely do not move a player like him off of the position he wants to play, as long as he can play it - which it looks like he can, for the likes of Jose Barrero. You just do not.

Its like going to Fernando Tatis Jr and saying "you are going to play RF now" - it would be insanity.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

JCM11 (08-08-2022),OGB (08-09-2022),RiverRat13 (08-08-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I'd leave him at SS. With Senzels flameout I'd move Barrero to CF. Leave Elly at SS. Steer at 3B. Move McClain to the OF. Extend India and leave him at 2B.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I disagree emphatically with this point. If the Reds see it this way I would be furious.

Elly's landing spot will depend on one thing and one thing only: Elly De La Cruz.

He looks like a generational superstar. You absolutely do not move a player like him off of the position he wants to play, as long as he can play it - which it looks like he can, for the likes of Jose Barrero. You just do not.

Its like going to Fernando Tatis Jr and saying "you are going to play RF now" - it would be insanity.
    What if he’d be a generational CF? Given his speed and his arm, I could see that happening. The Reds have 2 guys in the system that can play a well above average SS. Barrero and Arroyo. And one that could probably be generational at any position he wanted to play save catcher.

If Barrero doesn’t tank, I have no qualms with De La Cruz being generational in CF. If Barrero can’t cut the mustard, then it’s moot.

What if he’d be a generational CF? Given his speed and his arm, I could see that happening. The Reds have 2 guys in the system that can play a well above average SS. Barrero and Arroyo. And one that could probably be generational at any position he wanted to play save catcher.

If Barrero doesn’t tank, I have no qualms with De La Cruz being generational in CF. If Barrero can’t cut the mustard, then it’s moot.
    Man, I just absolutely despise this kind of thinking. Not directed at you, it is just a very Reds thing to do. I hate it.

I picked SS. 3B is clearly a waste of his speed. CF makes the best use of his speed, but it also carries the highest risk of injury (collisions and dives). I think the Reds will maximize the chances of keeping him in the lineup.

Man, I just absolutely despise this kind of thinking. Not directed at you, it is just a very Reds thing to do. I hate it.
    My point is, I think he’d be generational at either CF or SS. The Reds have plenty of great SS. No CF.

My point is, I think he’d be generational at either CF or SS. The Reds have plenty of great SS. No CF.
    His natural position is SS, let him play it until he proves he cannot.

I honestly don't care, so I'm fine sitting back and watching you all argue about it. CF or SS, whatever. They're both really difficult positions to play/fill, it will all sort itself out and it's not really up to us.

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-08-2022)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I know Elly is a good SS, but the dude is massive. I would be surprised if he is a long term SS.

If Barrero turns into an all star SS before Elly cracks the bigs, I think Barrero has to stay there. He’s still by far the best fielder in the organization at the position, has a body type that’ll last long term there, and in this scenario would be a pretty valuable commodity in his own right. I wouldn’t move around a player like that for an unproven prospect, massively hyped or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I know Elly is a good SS, but the dude is massive. I would be surprised if he is a long term SS.

If Barrero turns into an all star SS before Elly cracks the bigs, I think Barrero has to stay there. He’s still by far the best fielder in the organization at the position, has a body type that’ll last long term there, and in this scenario would be a pretty valuable commodity in his own right. I wouldn’t move around a player like that for an unproven prospect, massively hyped or not.
    Barrero needs to become an all star SS by the 2023 all star game then, lol

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Here's hoping Siani develops into the Reds' version of Brett Gardner as the everyday CF.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

15. Likes:

OGB (08-09-2022),Old school 1983 (08-08-2022),RED VAN HOT (08-08-2022)

This is probably for another thread, but what exactly is a "natural" position? Athletic guys like De La Cruz and Barrero can probably play anywhere.

Some guys are pigeonholed into some positions because they don't have the skillset (for example no weak arms in RF or slow guys in CF) so a guy like Joey Votto gets labeled as being a "natural" for a place like 1B or Catcher. But its way overused for most players.

If you have speed, athleticism, arm strength, hands and general defensive acumen, your natural position is anywhere. I think that is the case with De La Cruz and Barrero.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-08-2022)

They call me "chef"

Had a scrumptious eggs Benedict Florentino here on Sunday. Fluffy, not runny, excellent crispness on the ham. Rosemary seems predictable as a main profile but the chefs at Elly’s know what they’re doing. Best part, as always, is being saddled up next to the runway and watching the planes take off and land while you sip on your coffee (black, of course) and enjoy a meal, alone or with warm company. Already counting down the minutes until next Sunday’s trip to Elly’s Landing Spot.

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-12-2022),Bourgeois Zee (08-08-2022),ochoa30 (08-08-2022),OGB (08-09-2022),RedTeamGo! (08-08-2022),StRedlegs900 (08-09-2022)

Not to be combative. In fact, I don't disagree with you but when you used Tatis as an example I had just seen this:
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...f-the-question

21. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (08-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    This is probably for another thread, but what exactly is a "natural" position? Athletic guys like De La Cruz and Barrero can probably play anywhere.

Some guys are pigeonholed into some positions because they don't have the skillset (for example no weak arms in RF or slow guys in CF) so a guy like Joey Votto gets labeled as being a "natural" for a place like 1B or Catcher. But its way overused for most players.

If you have speed, athleticism, arm strength, hands and general defensive acumen, your natural position is anywhere. I think that is the case with De La Cruz and Barrero.
    I think the definition is the position the player has been playing, well, for his whole life.

Turn Off Ads?