Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: DFA Moustakas

Re: DFA Moustakas

This management did themselves no favors in the Shogo and Moose contracts. Wow!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Likes:

REDREAD (08-11-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I hated the contract with Moustakas even before they signed him, and I'd take it as sign of the organization's self-respect to DFA him just to get the roster spot. But I suspect at this point the most important consideration is the Reds' reputation as to how they treat FA's. And that's not nothing. I predict he's with the club through all of 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I hated the contract with Moustakas even before they signed him, and I'd take it as sign of the organization's self-respect to DFA him just to get the roster spot. But I suspect at this point the most important consideration is the Reds' reputation as to how they treat FA's. And that's not nothing. I predict he's with the club through all of 2023.
    Agreed. I very much doubt they cut him just to get him off the roster. Until and unless he's blocking somebody else, he'll be here.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Agreed. I very much doubt they cut him just to get him off the roster. Until and unless he's blocking somebody else, he'll be here.
    That's a 22M dollar pill (18M for '23, and 4M buyout) that's awful hard to swallow. They'll strain the blood out of that turnip (lol).

I didn't agree to the contract when they gave it. This was pretty much the guy's career line .247 .308 .434 .742 heading on the plus side of 30, and you saw that as being worth 4 yrs/64M?

These are the types of contracts organizations like the Reds have to have the foresight to avoid, red flags should be going off, because if it's a bust? then it's not as easy for an organization like the Reds to "absorb" it.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

7. Likes:

goreds2 (08-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    That's a 22M dollar pill (18M for '23, and 4M buyout) that's awful hard to swallow. They'll strain the blood out of that turnip (lol).

I didn't agree to the contract when they gave it. This was pretty much the guy's career line .247 .308 .434 .742 heading on the plus side of 30, and you saw that as being worth 4 yrs/64M?

These are the types of contracts organizations like the Reds have to have the foresight to avoid, red flags should be going off, because if it's a bust? then it's not as easy for an organization like the Reds to "absorb" it.
    After 2019, the Reds needed veterans and needed offense. So they signed a few all at once. Limited of course by the available market.

A better approach is to sign them “as you go” as opportunities become available. Don’t put yourself at the mercy of one class of free agents.

This coming off-season, the Reds should dabble in the market for veterans, but carefully and cautiously. Even though 2023 probably won’t be a big year. Don’t wait until your back is against the wall later on.

9. Likes:

CaiGuy (08-11-2022),Chip R (08-11-2022),Kingspoint (08-10-2022),mth123 (08-10-2022),REDREAD (08-11-2022),Revering4Blue (08-10-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    After 2019, the Reds needed veterans and needed offense. So they signed a few all at once. Limited of course by the available market.

A better approach is to sign them “as you go” as opportunities become available. Don’t put yourself at the mercy of one class of free agents.

This coming off-season, the Reds should dabble in the market for veterans, but carefully and cautiously. Even though 2023 probably won’t be a big year. Don’t wait until your back is against the wall later on.

I’m all for it, but the Reds won’t because they won’t want to waste free agent money on years they aren’t trying, because they are cheap idiots.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (08-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Its not about contending. Moose is last year's news on a team looking to 2024. The team needs PT for younger players. Steer is ready now, Encarnacion-Strand, Elly De La Cruz, Allan Cerda. Matt McLain, Alex McGarry, Mike Siani and possibly Noelvis Marte will all be ready for an audition at some point in 2023. Steer is ready now and I'd argue that McGarry or Encanacion Strand should be Votto's back-up and part time DH next year. They will also need the DH spot to rest Votto and Stephenson while keeping their bats in the line-up. I just don't see Moose fitting from a Baseball standpoint and any pittance of money saved will pale in comparison to those considerations. That's the benefit IMO.
    steer is ready now? based on what? he's shown very little power at AAA ... and some think he's more of a 2B (we have one of those) than a 3B.

So, who pays a player who is DFA'd and then picked up on a claim? Who pays him after the claiming period expires?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    So, who pays a player who is DFA'd and then picked up on a claim? Who pays him after the claiming period expires?
    If he's picked up on a claim, the claiming team assumes his contract. If the period expires and he signs somewhere as a free agent, the signing team is responsible for league minimum (or prorated minimum if it happens during the season) and the DFAing team pays the balance of his contract.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

Chip R (08-11-2022),Kingspoint (08-10-2022),REDREAD (08-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    steer is ready now? based on what? he's shown very little power at AAA ... and some think he's more of a 2B (we have one of those) than a 3B.
    This year he had a .976 OPS in 156 PAs at AA for the Twin and an .830 OPS in 232 PAs at AAA for the Twins. Sounds ready for a look to me. His overall line is .271/.365/.517/.882 with 45 XBH in 411 PAs. 43 Walks and 71Ks in those PAs. What else does he need to do, wash Castellini's car?

If an injured Barrero is worth a look since we know his production will be impacted by the injury and provide little information about what to expect, then Steer is ready for a look as well. You'd think a team with only 3 or 4 big league caliber position players who will coming back next year (one of whom is on the 60 day IL) would want to see how this kid may react to big league pitching.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Yes, this exactly. The "just wait, in 2 years this team will be good" game is lame, but let's allow it and say 2024 is some kind of target year to complete with a lot of young talent is incoming.

So if if you are going to more or less punt 2023, you would have to start building now to even dream about 2024.

So they shouldn't overpay for someone as you noted, but if there's a prudent multi-year contract available to them they need to sign it. Get a few pieces in place for 2024. And then a few more over the next off-season. And of course graduating prospects all this time.

You can't just wait and see until the team is good enough to add to it. You need to start right away.

18. Likes:

Kc61 (08-11-2022),Revering4Blue (08-11-2022)

Reds should not sign ANYONE long term they're terrible at it. Stick to dumpster diving they're GREAT at it.

20. Likes:

mgbrown66 (08-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Reds should not sign ANYONE long term they're terrible at it. Stick to dumpster diving they're GREAT at it.
    I think they should use the one advantage they have, as they have in the Castellanos contract and the Drury pickup--i.e. GABP as a place to put up some stats to be sold elsewhere. I'd like to see more contracts on the Castellanos model, and none on the Moustakas model--overpaying for a fixed number of years a player who is entering his thirties. Avoiding the Moustakas debacle really should not have been rocket science. It was pretty obvious it was going to be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Votto was an excellent long term sign.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I think they should use the one advantage they have, as they have in the Castellanos contract and the Drury pickup--i.e. GABP as a place to put up some stats to be sold elsewhere. I'd like to see more contracts on the Castellanos model, and none on the Moustakas model--overpaying for a fixed number of years a player who is entering his thirties. Avoiding the Moustakas debacle really should not have been rocket science. It was pretty obvious it was going to be bad.
    I don't disagree with this statement, but the Castellanos contract could have gone sideways if he had a year in 2021 like he's having in 2022 he probably wouldn't have opted out.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Turn Off Ads?