Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: "Lose For Crews"

Re: "Lose For Crews"

Losing is for Losers. It should never be anything done by the Reds.

It's almost as bad as aligning payroll to resources, which is also a Loser idea.

Winners build things, winners try to win. Winners don't insult their customers. Winners keep valued employees.
    Where we gonna go?

2. Likes:

757690 (08-10-2022),cumberlandreds (08-10-2022),Falls City Beer (08-10-2022),Kingspoint (08-10-2022),RedScot (08-21-2022),Roy Tucker (08-10-2022),wlf WV (08-11-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Yeah, and you can point at other examples as well like the Tigers losing 119 games and being in the World Series a few years later.

Losing most certainly does not guarantee more losing. However, I would argue mediocrity tends to guarantee more mediocrity

“Only a Sith deals in absolutes” - Obi Wan Kenobi
    Losing absolutely guarantees more losing. The only thing that ever stops losing is adding MLB talent to the 26 man. Mediocrity or competence just means you should add. At some point in the future the Reds will likely have an 82-83 win team again. Should they tear that one down too? Or should they manage their roster, using trades and FA, supplement and win, like the Cards and Brewers do year in and year out?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The orioles never tanked? Wut?
    They never tried to lose. They didn't have the talent to win.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/t...L/attend.shtml

Look at their payrolls and their results. They were losing badly with a high payroll. Just out of fiscal responsibility for the future of the franchise they had to cut payroll heavily from a team that couldn't win. That's not tanking. That's just common sense. Throwing more money on a bad investment is foolish. They had to lower costs and rebuild. That is not tanking. That's moving assets to where they would produce better results.

They had five straight years of 85 to 96 wins with 3 playoff appearances and attendances over 2 Million. Payroll rose steadily and dramatically over those five years. It continued to rise with another 2 million in attendance, but it was clear that the body of the team reached it's peak and infusing more money into the situation would be foolish and produce even worse results with an imbalanced roster. It took four years to dump the payroll and retool the organizational depth, as it always takes four years to fix an organizational's depth, but spending will begin again. They were never tanking. Nor are the REDS tanking. For once, the REDS are reshaping the organization the way a winning organization does, like the Orioles, like the Mariners.

The San Antonio Spurs tanked in order to get Tim Duncan. That's tanking.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Shipping out every player worth a damn making over a million dollars is tanking, plain and simple.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

7. Likes:

membengal (08-10-2022),REDREAD (08-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Shipping out every player worth a damn making over a million dollars is tanking, plain and simple.
    The facts state they did not do that....not even close.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I mean, you could say same thing about the Reds because they had/have Votto, Moustakas, and added the likes of Mike Minor. The Orioles had the likes of Chris Davis they couldn’t jettison.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-10-2022),REDREAD (08-20-2022)

I don’t like it, but I’ll give the Reds a pass for the rest of this season. I get that it’s August and anyone worth a crap has been traded off. If the want to run some young(er) guys out there, ok.

But I don’t like giving this FO any kind of slack. They haven’t earned it. They made some good trades, ok. But I want the foot firmly planted on the accelerator. I don’t like taking a Sunday drive through the rest of the season. It’s not the players on the field that I doubt their effort.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

If I thought losing would hasten this ownership group selling the team to an actual owner, I’d travel from Philadelphia for every game and flash a mirror in the Redd’s hitters’ eyes so they lost every game. But losing will only keep this ownership group around longer. A bad team is all the more incentive to spend less on subsequent seasons and that’s a profit margin they aren’t going to refuse. I think they’ll sell when by accident or chance they become good enough to force financial decisions to be made.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I was referring to the Reds. I don’t care what the Orioles do.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 08-10-2022 at 08:36 PM.

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-10-2022),REDREAD (08-20-2022)

If I thought losing would hasten this ownership group selling the team to an actual owner, I’d travel from Philadelphia for every game and flash a mirror in the Redd’s hitters’ eyes so they lost every game. But losing will only keep this ownership group around longer. A bad team is all the more incentive to spend less on subsequent seasons and that’s a profit margin they aren’t going to refuse. I think they’ll sell when by accident or chance they become good enough to force financial decisions to be made.

- - - Updated - - -

I was referring to the Reds. I don’t care what the Orioles do.
    Oh...I thought you were talking about the Orioles. The REDS are another matter altogether, though I feel really positive from what I've seen and heard from them this year.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

It is strategic losing. The FO created this losing machine. I hope they defy the FO by winning a ridiculous number of games.
    So kind of a “Major League” spinoff?

Name:  C63EBA86-FA6E-4306-BE30-89DF5C7ED959.jpeg
Views: 178
Size:  38.6 KB
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-10-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    So kind of a “Major League” spinoff?

Name:  C63EBA86-FA6E-4306-BE30-89DF5C7ED959.jpeg
Views: 178
Size:  38.6 KB
    Whatever it takes to shed this ownership group. And winning is the only tonic.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I just can’t imagine caring if this team wins 62 games or 67 or whatever

19. Likes:

New Fever (08-20-2022),Old school 1983 (08-10-2022),REDREAD (08-20-2022),RedTeamGo! (08-10-2022)

In fact, if I have to suffer through this level of embarrassment this team already achieved this season, I’d prefer they do it “right” and get the best possible player out of it. And shame the ownership as deeply as possible.

I hope they lose every remaining game tbh

21. Likes:

New Fever (08-20-2022),REDREAD (08-20-2022),RedTeamGo! (08-10-2022)

Most of us are Bengals fans here right? Would you really have preferred the 2019 Bengals to have won another game or two and miss out on Joe Burrow?

It literally could not matter less.

23. Likes:

New Fever (08-20-2022),Old school 1983 (08-10-2022),RedTeamGo! (08-10-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I just can’t imagine caring if this team wins 62 games or 67 or whatever
    I don't care about the number of wins the Reds end up with this year. However, I still enjoy watching Reds games and I enjoy them significantly more when they win than when they lose. As each game starts this year, I am still hoping the Reds win the game and am happy when they do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Most of us are Bengals fans here right? Would you really have preferred the 2019 Bengals to have won another game or two and miss out on Joe Burrow?

It literally could not matter less.
    Baseball ain't football. Not even close.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

25. Likes:

Boss-Hog (08-11-2022),CySeymour (08-10-2022),Falls City Beer (08-10-2022),Ron Madden (08-10-2022),Roy Tucker (08-11-2022),westofyou (08-10-2022)

Turn Off Ads?