Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: "Lose For Crews"

Re: "Lose For Crews"

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don't care about the number of wins the Reds end up with this year. However, I still enjoy watching Reds games and I enjoy them significantly more when they win than when they lose. As each game starts this year, I am still hoping the Reds win the game and am happy when they do.

- - - Updated - - -

Baseball ain't football. Not even close.
    Yeah comparing a 19 year draft pick in baseball to a fully-developed NFL franchise quarterback is really pretty meaningless.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don't care about the number of wins the Reds end up with this year. However, I still enjoy watching Reds games and I enjoy them significantly more when they win than when they lose. As each game starts this year, I am still hoping the Reds win the game and am happy when they do.

- - - Updated - - -

Baseball ain't football. Not even close.
    To each their own. Even on that level, I found the April version of this team to be extremely more entertaining and interesting than the current run of the mill bad that they are.

And on the second point - they might not be the exact same thing, but they aren’t apples and oranges either. Especially if the top overall prospect is a quick to the majors college outfield bat, aka exactly what this team needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    In fact, if I have to suffer through this level of embarrassment this team already achieved this season, I’d prefer they do it “right” and get the best possible player out of it. And shame the ownership as deeply as possible.

I hope they lose every remaining game tbh
    They can’t be shamed. This off-season proved that. They faced a decision: contend or tank…and they tanked. They will make that choice again until they sell the franchise. So the sooner they’re forced to pony up, my belief is the sooner they’ll sell. I could be wrong. They could be raring and ready to add the 75-100 million necessary to put the supplementary talent in to win on a regular basis, but I don’t see it. I think they’ll retreat and hopefully just sell.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Everyone used to be a manager or coach when it came to baseball and football.

Now everyone wants to be the GM

6. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-10-2022)

To each their own. Even on that level, I found the April version of this team to be extremely more entertaining and interesting than the current run of the mill bad that they are.

And on the second point - they might not be the exact same thing, but they aren’t apples and oranges either. Especially if the top overall prospect is a quick to the majors college outfield bat, aka exactly what this team needs.
    One outfield bat, even someone as great as Soto moves the needle virtually nowhere in MLB. This team is threadbare. That team would look like the 2022 Nationals.

NBA/NFL =/= MLB

Most of us are Bengals fans here right? Would you really have preferred the 2019 Bengals to have won another game or two and miss out on Joe Burrow?

It literally could not matter less.
    Didn't they almost do that when they beat the Jets or was I thinking the next season?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Anyone who has a chance to be here next year and can build on the success from the end of this season, whether they are in AA, AAA, on an injured list or on the Major League Roster, or picked up as a DFA'd player from another club.

- - - Updated - - -

But, they never tanked.
    WUT? the Os 100% tanked. are you kidding right now
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

10. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-11-2022),New Fever (08-20-2022),westofyou (08-10-2022)

There is no question that its beneficial to the reds to end with a record that allows them to draft the best player possible, but when I'm watching today's game, I'm rooting for a win and not thinking about that other stuff.

Not interested in rooting for them to lose any individual game. I also want the best players on the roster and filling roles where they are most likely to be successful even in a lost season. I understand getting a look at a young player who you think may be one of your best players down the road and I'm in favor of that because he's probably replacing a bad player on a team like this anyway, but generally I want the best guys out there.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

757690 (08-10-2022),wlf WV (08-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Didn't they almost do that when they beat the Jets or was I thinking the next season?
    Yeah they started flirting with disaster for that one game but they ended up clinching it a couple weeks later. And then won the last game of the season to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Shipping out every player worth a damn making over a million dollars is tanking, plain and simple.
    i mean. I am just. I don't know what to say. I can't argue with wherever he is coming from. And where I work, I would know.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

I mean I guess I can’t imagine spending much time watching this current dumpster fire either lol. I don’t even get them on my current TV package which is now Sling.

Tomorrows cornfield extravaganza might be the last game I watch on purpose all season. Barring any unexpected call ups like a Elly call up in September or something.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    There is no question that its beneficial to the reds to end with a record that allows them to draft the best player possible, but when I'm watching today's game, I'm rooting for a win and not thinking about that other stuff.

Not interested in rooting for them to lose any individual game. I also want the best players on the roster and filling roles where they are most likely to be successful even in a lost season. I understand getting a look at a young player who you think may be one of your best players down the road and I'm in favor of that because he's probably replacing a bad player on a team like this anyway, but generally I want the best guys out there.
    I just don’t buy for a second that the Reds will draft the best players even if they are in a position to do so. They’ve had good and bad drafts pretty recently. It’s not like they’ve permanently turned a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    WUT? the Os 100% tanked. are you kidding right now
    Not kidding at all. That was not tanking. It was moving money that would not lead to a playoff series victory towards cheaper assets that would. I don't call that tanking. The Blazers tanked,...intentionally sitting players who could play and calling them injured when they weren't so that the team could lose more games no matter how much the players and Chauncey tried to win.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Here’s a hypothetical.

Last game of the season. If the Reds win they finish with the 5th worse record. If they lose they finish with the 3rd worst record. I laid out earlier what that means. You are legit rooting for the W?
    1. The odds that the Reds get the first pick are going to be extremely low whether they finish with the 3rd or 5th worst record. 16% vs. 10%.

2. Assuming they get the #1 pick, the difference between the player the Reds would draft with the #1 pick and the #5 pick is rather small.

Here are the #1 picks in the draft over the last 20 years:

Bryan Bullington
    Delmon Young
    Matt Bush
    Justin Upton
    Luke Hovhevar
    David Price
    Tim Bechham
    Stephen Strasburg
    Bryce Harper
    Gerrit Cole
    Carlos Correa
    Mark Appel
    Brady Aiken
    Dansby Swanson
    Mickey Montiak
    Royce Lewis
    Casey Mize
    Adley Rutschman
    Spencer Torkelson
    Henry Davis
    Jackson Holliday

Here are the #5 players taken in the draft over the last 20 years:

Clint Everts
    Chris Lubanski
    Mark Rogers
    Ryan Braun
    Brandon Morrow
    Matt Wieters
    Buster Posey
    Matt Hobgood
    Drew Pomeranz
    Bubba Sterling
    Kyle Zimmer
    Jackson Frazier
    Nick Gordon
    Kyle Tucker
    Corey Ray
    Kyle Wright
    Jonathan India
    Riley Greene
    Austin Martin
    Colton Cowser
    Elijah Green

With the first pick there were 7 players with at least 10 career WAR, 6 with at least 30 career WAR, 1 with at least 40 career WAR

With the fifth pick there were 6 players with at least 10 career WAR, 2 with at least 30 career WAR, 2 with at least 40 career WAR

An advantage with the first pick, but still lots of swings and misses. The draft is a crap shoot, no matter where you draft.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Marc elias was literally hired to follow the Astros model. They stated baldly it was a tank. And that was just the public statements. I even know from not-public statements. You are just laughably wrong.

20. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-11-2022),New Fever (08-20-2022),REDREAD (08-20-2022)

Turn Off Ads?