Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: "Lose For Crews"

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: "Lose For Crews"

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    One outfield bat, even someone as great as Soto moves the needle virtually nowhere in MLB. This team is threadbare. That team would look like the 2022 Nationals.

NBA/NFL =/= MLB
    Even to that point, having a Soto level bat to root for in future seasons is more exciting and fun than not having one, no matter how much it moves the needle.

But they actually have a core in the minor leagues with a lot of potential (which I know you’re gonna dispute lol) so getting this Crews dude would be pretty helpful imo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I mean I guess I can’t imagine spending much time watching this current dumpster fire either lol. I don’t even get them on my current TV package which is now Sling.

Tomorrows cornfield extravaganza might be the last game I watch on purpose all season. Barring any unexpected call ups like a Elly call up in September or something.
    That’s exactly what ownership wants. Checked out fans. No expectations, no need to bump payroll.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I just don’t buy for a second that the Reds will draft the best players even if they are in a position to do so. They’ve had good and bad drafts pretty recently. It’s not like they’ve permanently turned a corner.
    Sure but having the opportunity to do so is better than helplessly watching somebody else pick the guy you want in front of you.

Doesn't mean I'm rooting for a loss on any individual day though.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Marc elias was literally hired to follow the Astros model. They stated baldly it was a tank. And that was just the public statements. I even know from not-public statements. You are just laughably wrong.
    https://twitter.com/buster_espn/stat...XPRzAzzN-U0uhw

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    In fact, if I have to suffer through this level of embarrassment this team already achieved this season, I’d prefer they do it “right” and get the best possible player out of it. And shame the ownership as deeply as possible.

I hope they lose every remaining game tbh
    Now we’re talking! Burn this house down!
    What would you say.....ya do here?

7. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (08-10-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    1. The odds that the Reds get the first pick are going to be extremely low whether they finish with the 3rd or 5th worst record. 16% vs. 10%.

2. Assuming they get the #1 pick, the difference between the player the Reds would draft with the #1 pick and the #5 pick is rather small.

Here are the #1 picks in the draft over the last 20 years:

Bryan Bullington
    Delmon Young
    Matt Bush
    Justin Upton
    Luke Hovhevar
    David Price
    Tim Bechham
    Stephen Strasburg
    Bryce Harper
    Gerrit Cole
    Carlos Correa
    Mark Appel
    Brady Aiken
    Dansby Swanson
    Mickey Montiak
    Royce Lewis
    Casey Mize
    Adley Rutschman
    Spencer Torkelson
    Henry Davis
    Jackson Holliday

Here are the #5 players taken in the draft over the last 20 years:

Clint Everts
    Chris Lubanski
    Mark Rogers
    Ryan Braun
    Brandon Morrow
    Matt Wieters
    Buster Posey
    Matt Hobgood
    Drew Pomeranz
    Bubba Sterling
    Kyle Zimmer
    Jackson Frazier
    Nick Gordon
    Kyle Tucker
    Corey Ray
    Kyle Wright
    Jonathan India
    Riley Greene
    Austin Martin
    Colton Cowser
    Elijah Green

With the first pick there were 7 players with at least 10 career WAR, 6 with at least 30 career WAR, 1 with at least 40 career WAR

With the fifth pick there were 6 players with at least 10 career WAR, 2 with at least 30 career WAR, 2 with at least 40 career WAR

An advantage with the first pick, but still lots of swings and misses. The draft is a crap shoot, no matter where you draft.
    Did you know if you have the first pick in the first round you also have the first pick in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th….. rounds? And did you know you will likely have the largest player payroll. And did you know if you have the first pick overall you can take literally any player you want? I mean, this isn’t rocket surgery.

And for your first point - there isn’t much difference between 16.50% and 10%? Hm nah.

9. Likes:

New Fever (08-20-2022)

Yeah comparing a 19 year draft pick in baseball to a fully-developed NFL franchise quarterback is really pretty meaningless.
    Crews will be a junior in college going into next years draft. Same age a lot of nfl 1st overall picks are. Yes, I know it’s different, mlb and nfl. However, sometimes it ain’t. Crews is looking like a sure-fire thing. People will point to Senzel, but he really wasn’t like this. He was a bit of a late riser IIRC. If I remember correctly going into that season he was not even expected to be a top 10 pick. He had a great season and the Reds got infatuated with him. I remember the board being pretty damned split on that pick. If the Reds have the number 1 pick next year I’ll be shocked if Crews isn’t a consensus number 1 type player for the entire college year.

11. Likes:

New Fever (08-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Did you know if you have the first pick in the first round you also have the first pick in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th….. rounds? And did you know you will likely have the largest player payroll. And did you know if you have the first pick overall you can take literally any player you want? I mean, this isn’t rocket surgery.

And for your first point - there isn’t much difference between 16.50% and 10%? Hm nah.
    Again, for both points, odds are low, extremely low. The draft has always been a crap shoot, now it’s crap shoot with a lottery. Odds got even lower.

If this was football, definitely worth losing to get the #1 pick.

But with MLB, your best shot is a 1 in 6 chance of getting the #1 pick. And the odds of that #1 pick being a difference maker is below 50%. A 1 on 6 chance of a maybe difference maker.

I’d rather focus on winning games.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

It's a lot more fun watching your kids grow when they are young than when they are teenagers.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

14. Likes:

Roy Tucker (08-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Again, for both points, odds are low, extremely low. The draft has always been a crap shoot, now it’s crap shoot with a lottery. Odds got even lower.

If this was football, definitely worth losing to get the #1 pick.

But with MLB, your best shot is a 1 in 6 chance of getting the #1 pick. And the odds of that #1 pick being a difference maker is below 50%. A 1 on 6 chance of a maybe difference maker.

I’d rather focus on winning games.
    With TJ Zeuch and Matt Reynolds. How enthralling!

Does anyone really think this draft lottery won't be fixed? have a hard time seeing the Reds being the folded corner pick.
    Go Gators!

17. Likes:

Falls City Beer (08-11-2022),mth123 (08-11-2022),REDREAD (08-20-2022),Revering4Blue (08-11-2022)

Now that I've looked at the draft lottery odds, as well as the current standings, I really don't think it matters what happens to the Reds. Even without Castillo and Mahle, they're better than the A's and Nats and probably the Pirates. They'll probably finish with somewhere between the 3rd and 7th worst record, but would really have to stink to land in the top 3 anyway. And that only increases their chances 2.5% or something.

So I'd prefer for them to not completely tank in the final months and maybe even gather some momentum heading into '23. They'll still have a shot at a very high pick even if they win more than expected.

You Play To Win The Game

20. Likes:

757690 (08-11-2022),Assembly Hall (08-11-2022),cumberlandreds (08-11-2022),Tadasimha (08-11-2022)

Crews would be a welcome addition to this organization.

I’d really like to get the best corner bat and/or the best college pitcher with their two first round picks.
    Go BLUE!!!

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Tank? No thank you.

Turn Off Ads?