Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Austin Callahan

Austin Callahan

I mentioned him in the transactions thread but figured I'd make a new post about him. Last night he was 2-3 with a HR and a BB. So far tonight he's 2-2 with another HR. He's batting .337 on the season with seemingly nothing left to prove at low-A ball. Pretty impressive for an 18th rounder.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-10-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Austin Callahan

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I mentioned him in the transactions thread but figured I'd make a new post about him. Last night he was 2-3 with a HR and a BB. So far tonight he's 2-2 with another HR. He's batting .337 on the season with seemingly nothing left to prove at low-A ball. Pretty impressive for an 18th rounder.
    Yeah, I noticed how he's tearing it up. On a night when his team was doing abolutely nothing Offensively, he blasted one out of the park.

I think having Boyd hit behind him and Allen and Arroyo hitting ahead of him should let him see even better pitches to hit.

But, I noticed they moved him up in the order tonight batting leadoff instead of Arroyo batting leadoff, who is batting 2nd tonight. Allen (CF) batting 3rd. Boyd is also on the bench tonight with Castro and Rogers taking the other two outfield spots.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Tyler "Callihan" homered for Dayton tonight.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Man, I'm trying hard to think of any somewhat productive guys the Reds have had on their roster who they drafted in later rounds...and all I can think of is Barnhart in the 10th round, Heisey in the 17th, and Ondrusek in the 13th. I don't even want to try comparing to the Cardinals, because it feels like they've got someone decent like that on their roster every year.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Man, I'm trying hard to think of any somewhat productive guys the Reds have had on their roster who they drafted in later rounds...and all I can think of is Barnhart in the 10th round, Heisey in the 17th, and Ondrusek in the 13th. I don't even want to try comparing to the Cardinals, because it feels like they've got someone decent like that on their roster every year.
    Tyler Mahle says hi from the 7th round.

Amir Garrett is willing to fight you in the 20th round.

8. Likes:

CySeymour (08-14-2022),Marc D (08-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

Graham Ashcraft may also be lining up to have a word. Alexis Diaz is next to him.
    Last edited by podgejeff_; 08-11-2022 at 05:24 PM.

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-11-2022),Old school 1983 (08-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

Keep in mind most of these guys were huge overslot signings.

Pretty sure Amir still holds the record for largest signing bonus ever that round.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Tyler "Callihan" homered for Dayton tonight.
    That was Tyler Callihan's first homerun for Dayton after 130 PA's. Just a minute ago, he had a 10-pitch Walk to load the bases.

A 3rd-Round pick by the REDS out of HS in 2019, maybe he's starting to figure it out at this level now. At 22, his time is fading away as he is not anyone who does anything outstanding so far in his Minor League career. Hasn't hit for power. Hasn't hit for average. Doesn't steal bases. Doesn't walk a lot. But, who knows. 22 years old is still young enough that he can make a big jump in development.

2 outs, bottom of the 9th, Callihan up with the tying run on 2nd. See what happens....

Foul, Ball, Foul, Foul, Foul, Foul, Ball,...

Fly Out to Left. Darn.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-11-2022 at 09:43 PM.

Turn Off Ads?