Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Spencer Steer is ready for Cincinnati in September.

Re: Spencer Steer is ready for Cincinnati in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I wonder if the Reds will see him as Solano’s replacement next year.
    I'm not sure why the Reds didn't trade Solano when they had a chance. Unless, of course, they want to re-sign him this off-season.

(On a one-year deal for about the same coin, you could do far, far worse.)

I'm hoping they see Steer as a replacement for Moustakas.

What might be interesting is if they see him as a replacement for Barrero or Farmer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'm not sure why the Reds didn't trade Solano when they had a chance. Unless, of course, they want to re-sign him this off-season.

(On a one-year deal for about the same coin, you could do far, far worse.)

I'm hoping they see Steer as a replacement for Moustakas.

What might be interesting is if they see him as a replacement for Barrero or Farmer.
    I think they were probably getting horrible offers for Solano and at the end of the day were like “we should probably have a major league hitter or two for the rest of the year”
    What would you say.....ya do here?

4. Likes:

757690 (09-01-2022),BoxingRed (09-01-2022),HokieRed (09-02-2022),Revering4Blue (09-01-2022)

Right now the only considerations for Steer are to get him playing time and help get him ready for a 26-man roster spot next season.

I doubt the Reds have made final decisions on who he’s going to replace. Some of that will depend on off-season moves yet TBD.

If one assumes that India and Barrero are the starting middle infielders on OD, the issue could become Farmer v Steer at third. I don’t see Moose or Solano as regular third basemen. Especially with DH rule.

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-01-2022)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I desperately want him to be a (really good) utliity guy.

Those guys are rare and extremely valuable.

(Then again, I think you know that.)
    I'm hoping he comes in and becomes our version of Justin Turner. In my mind, Farmer's either taking over SS if Barrero fails, and McLain and EDLC aren't ready yet, or will be relegated to utility guy.
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 09-01-2022 at 12:05 PM.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Right now the only considerations for Steer are to get him playing time and help get him ready for a 26-man roster spot next season.

I doubt the Reds have made final decisions on who he’s going to replace. Some of that will depend on off-season moves yet TBD.

If one assumes that India and Barrero are the starting middle infielders on OD, the issue could become Farmer v Steer at third. I don’t see Moose or Solano as regular third basemen. Especially with DH rule.
    Also keep in mind the Reds will retain the rights to Matt Reynolds, who isn't arb eligible until 2024.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Also keep in mind the Reds will retain the rights to Matt Reynolds, who isn't arb eligible until 2024.
    One of the challenges for next season is figuring out the infield and IF/DH group. Reds have a lot of guys in those roles, an imbalance with OF (needy).

It’s not so obvious to me that they’ll just let go of Moose and his salary/buyout commitment. Votto will be around. There’s a need to give PT to Steer. Whither Farmer, Reynolds? Lopez is a switch hitter and useful line drive hitter off the bench. Will they keep Solano? They won’t give up on Barrero so quick, and India is a staple. There’s talk of Senzel playing more infield as UT.

Like most, I’d like to see them use the MLB-ready young guys as much as possible. Votto, India, Barrero and Steer as OD starters would be ok. But they need to shape this group, IMO thin it out and add more pop in the OF.

I hope he gets some time at SS, to see how well he plays it. It's time to get beyond the idea that Farmer is an everyday player and it looks less and less as if Barrero is going to be ready to be OD shortstop next spring. If Steer can play SS and hit reasonably well, it makes sense to me to either let Farmer walk and get an outfield platoon guy to match with Fraley or to keep Farmer and use him strictly against lefthanders, then try to keep Solano to be the primary 3b until the arrival/improvement of EDLC, McLain, Barrero etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I hope he gets some time at SS, to see how well he plays it. It's time to get beyond the idea that Farmer is an everyday player and it looks less and less as if Barrero is going to be ready to be OD shortstop next spring. If Steer can play SS and hit reasonably well, it makes sense to me to either let Farmer walk and get an outfield platoon guy to match with Fraley or to keep Farmer and use him strictly against lefthanders, then try to keep Solano to be the primary 3b until the arrival/improvement of EDLC, McLain, Barrero etc.
    If Steer isn’t viewed as a MLB defensive shortstop, I don’t see the point. He can play there occasionally, as needed, but with all the truer shortstops in the organization, I’d try to find a more permanent defensive home for Steer. Third base would be the initial trial IMO.

I doubt Reds will give up on Barrero so readily, he has the defensive chops. Though I agree it’s possible he may go back to AAA next year to work on hitting. But equally possible Jose is the starting SS on OD.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If Steer isn’t viewed as a MLB defensive shortstop, I don’t see the point. He can play there occasionally, as needed, but with all the truer shortstops in the organization, I’d try to find a more permanent defensive home for Steer. Third base would be the initial trial IMO.

I doubt Reds will give up on Barrero so readily, he has the defensive chops. Though I agree it’s possible he may go back to AAA next year to work on hitting. But equally possible Jose is the starting SS on OD.
    Has Steer been judged incapable of playing MLB SS? I hadn't heard that.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Has Steer been judged incapable of playing MLB SS? I hadn't heard that.
    His own college coach said they played him out of position at SS for a season, due to necessity.

I'd open the season with Steer playing everywhere across the infield as a Zobrist/ Phillips utility guy in 2023.

He could give rest to Senzel/ Moustakas/ Solano/ Farmer at 3B, India at 2B, Votto at 1B (by moving Moustakas), and Barrero (sigh) at SS.

If one of those guys looks cooked, he can move into the starting lineup in that spot. (Think Todd Frazier post-Rolen.)

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    His own college coach said they played him out of position at SS for a season, due to necessity.
    He's played 16 games at short this season between Wichita and Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    They need to bring up players to hold fan's interest and maybe sell a few more tickets. Who wants to watch Reynolds?
    I was at the game last night. This is exactly what I meant. The offense needed a shot in the arm. Why wait till Sept to do this?

I'll add that it appeared to me that the Rockies did not scout him. They played him 100% straight away, vanilla defense.

Turn Off Ads?