Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Spencer Steer is ready for Cincinnati in September.

Re: Spencer Steer is ready for Cincinnati in September.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    For those more in the know than I, could holding back Steer be a service time thing? Does it make sense to hold back?
    At this point I question if they even want to win any more games this year. I also question if we should bring any young promising players up to play on this dumpster fire team. Since Steer is almost 25 I say go ahead and bring him up at least to get an idea if he can hold down an everyday spot for 2023. I don't think service time should matter and would consider it a bonus if he had a productive 6 year career in the bigs.

2. Likes:

Sea Ray (08-20-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Playing SS tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Playing SS tonight.
    Interesting

6. Likes:

Kc61 (08-19-2022),Revering4Blue (08-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Playing SS tonight.
    The Reds FO is trolling Redszone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-19-2022),wolfboy (08-19-2022)

They need to bring up players to hold fan's interest and maybe sell a few more tickets. Who wants to watch Reynolds?

10. Likes:

wolfboy (08-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    They need to bring up players to hold fan's interest and maybe sell a few more tickets. Who wants to watch Reynolds?
    While I'd like to see what Steer can do at the big league level in September, I don't think he's moving the ticket sales needle. The only one that will with the casual fans is de la Cruz. And that's probably next summer at the earliest.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-20-2022),Tom Servo (08-20-2022)

I usually am not inclined to agree on this point because it’s usually the Reds way to rush prospects in order to sell tickets. And if you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you always got.

However, Steer is a little older and is much closer to a finished prospect. I think that is a whole lot more to do with the Twins’ developmental system than the Reds. Perhaps a September call-up for Steer might be in order, as long as he plays and doesn’t sit the bench. If they are going to call him up and continue to run Farmer out every day, or India out every day, they may as well leave Steer in AAA, where at least he is seeing live pitching on a daily basis.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

It's remarkably asinine to promote prospects due to ticket sales.

It's entirely acceptable to promote prospects if you think they're ready.

15. Likes:

MikeS21 (08-20-2022),Revering4Blue (08-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

Yes. I completely agree. We’ve just seen way too much of the Reds wanting to cash in on prospect hype in order to sell tickets. And that makes it too easy to buy into the old mantra, “They got nothing else to prove in the minors.” So they promote them, and it’s painfully obvious that they could have used more minor league development.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

What if the prospect is a better talent than the veteran? That case can be made Steer>Reynolds; Williamson>Minor

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    For those more in the know than I, could holding back Steer be a service time thing? Does it make sense to hold back?
    No. He has no MLB service time so he could have been called up in May of this season and not accrued a full year. They’ll have to wait until next May if they want to get that “seventh season” of control—calling him up now is the same as putting him on the Opening Day roster…

What if the prospect is a better talent than the veteran? That case can be made Steer>Reynolds; Williamson>Minor
    I'd rather Steer get regular ABs in AAA than the handful of ABs Reynolds gets a week. Williamson should probably be making starts instead of Zeuch at the big league level though.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I'd rather Steer get regular ABs in AAA than the handful of ABs Reynolds gets a week. Williamson should probably be making starts instead of Zeuch at the big league level though.
    I think there are plenty of ABs for Steer at 2B, 3B and DH

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-20-2022)

I don’t think Reds should promote Steer until they open a regular IF position. They can arrange that promptly if they are willing.

The best way is to move Farmer to first base. Then use Moose and Solano as DHs most of the time.

Maybe they are reluctant to do this because they just moved Farmer to third, and he’s good defensively.

Reds should take some of their infield prospect depth, maybe McClain to begin, and move them to OF now. These conversions aren’t always that quick or easy. They have a glut of guys, like Steer, who are infielders by trade. Everyone can’t be an infielder.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-20-2022 at 11:45 AM.

I'm hoping Steer's more of a jack-of-all-trades utility guy than a full-time starter at one spot. Those utility guys who can play all over the field are crazy valuable, and I want as many of them on my team as can be found.

I want Steer playing a Tony Phillips role-- some time at 2B, some at 3B, some at SS, some at DH. I'd like to see him play some OF too (though that's less important).

Right now, I'm guessing he, Stoudt, and Williamson break camp with the Reds on Opening Day. De La Cruz can absolutely break that door down as well, but he'll have to hit all the way through Spring Training to do it. (The Reds will look for every reason to keep him a seventh season if possible.) Add in likely later-2023 additions Encarnacion-Strand and McLain (plus Hopkins and McGarry as OF/ DH/ 1B types), and the Reds will almost assuredly have a bunch of moving parts.

Having a Steer able to play a variety of roles will help.

Turn Off Ads?