Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Singers'(Celebrities) Deaths That Hit You the Hardest

Re: Singers'(Celebrities) Deaths That Hit You the Hardest

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    The following haven’t been mentioned yet, but each death hit me like a ton of bricks:

Robin Williams - No need to really elaborate. But he was truly one of a kind. I’m certain this hit ALL of us hard.

Farah Fawcett - Just as with Olivia Newton-John, the youth memories factor came into play. Both gone too soon.

John Ritter - This was really devastating to me because it was sudden. At least with Farrah, we knew the end was coming soon.

Freddie Prinz - I’m sure I’m not the only one here that remembers his sudden suicide at the height of his career. I was in 3rd grade at the time. Chico And The Man (in which he starred) Sanford and Son and Rockford Files comprised a must watch NBC Friday Night lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really miss John Ritter. Such a likeable guy and one of my favorite people of comedy. One of the greatest physical comediens of all-time. Lucille Ball was a HUGE fan of John. That says all you need to know.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-15-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Neil Peart, he was such a private person that nobody knew of his brain cancer, that one hit me hard, and my wife even harder, She's one of the few female RUSH fans.

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-16-2022)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Phil Everly and Glen Campbell were tough for me. I really felt a connection to those two, I cant explain it.

I'll probably call in sick when Elton John or Steve Martin go.

Looking back now (for me) it was obviously coming because of how unhealthy he was, but Chris Farley hit me really hard. I was 14 years old and my friends and I loved him in everything he was in and grew up watching him on SNL. I still quote him all the time from Tommy Boy, Black Sheep, and Dirty Work. I actually remember exactly where I was when I heard. My dad and I had just returned some movies at Video Connection in Toledo and picked up a couple more (we pretty much always had movie rentals at all times in our house) and were pulling out of the parking lot and they announced it on the radio. I just didn't even know what to do or say.

More recently I was really bummed about by David Bowie, Lou Reed, Taylor Hawkins, and Tom Petty.

Honestly, Olivia Newton-John is kind of tough on me as well, she is like the exact same age as my mom and my mom absolutely loved her. Mom is pretty upset right now about it, she used to always put Grease on when I was a kid.

I hate to be morbid but when George Lucas goes I am going to cry for a week.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 08-16-2022 at 11:19 AM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    The following haven’t been mentioned yet, but each death hit me like a ton of bricks:

Robin Williams - No need to really elaborate. But he was truly one of a kind. I’m certain this hit ALL of us hard.

Farah Fawcett - Just as with Olivia Newton-John, the youth memories factor came into play. Both gone too soon.

John Ritter - This was really devastating to me because it was sudden. At least with Farrah, we knew the end was coming soon.

Freddie Prinz - I’m sure I’m not the only one here that remembers his sudden suicide at the height of his career. I was in 3rd grade at the time. Chico And The Man (in which he starred) Sanford and Son and Rockford Files comprised a must watch NBC Friday Night lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Freddie Prinz was a shocker when he did that to himself. It resonated with me at a young age of wondering why someone who seemed very successful and popular would do that?

Another one when I was young who died suddenly was Jim Croce. I was just getting into pop music when he died and he was one of my favorites. I played the heck out of Bad Leroy Brown when I was young. I think that came out about the time he died IIRC. As an aside my wife and I visited his grave in Pennsylvania. Its in a quiet Jewish cemetery that was very lovely.

Karen Carpenter was another one. She had such a perfect voice at a young age was a great loss for everyone.

Since I am 59 it seems most of the stars I liked have passed away. I guess now I have become almost numb to when I hear of one passing. It just doesn't resonate as strongly as it did when I was younger.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

9. Likes:

Gilbert Gottfried - I listened to him on Howard Stern back in the day and loved his podcast. He was nutty but was a real person with young kids. He was also one of the funniest people ever.
    Where we gonna go?

11. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (08-16-2022),Revering4Blue (08-16-2022)

John Lennon
    George Michael
    Stuart Adamson
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

Jerry Garcia sucked big time for me, but I was also expecting it since I was watching him degrade before my eyes.

14. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (08-16-2022)

Sounds like the OP and I are about the same age. Maybe I'm a couple of years older. Olivia Newton-John came along right about the time I was going into puberty. Needless to say I noticed her, but really didn't pay that much attention to her as time went on. I don't own any of her music and I've never even seen Grease, but for some reason her death has hit me kind of hard. Been watching videos of her singing on YT. "I guess mine is not the first heart broken."

Still, for me the biggest shock came with the death of John Lennon. I was working the overnight shift in an IT department of a bank when the world found out and didn't really get the full impact until I got home and started seeing all the news reports the next day.

Since then, I haven't been overly shook by any celebrity death. The world knew it was coming for George Harrison and Charlie Watts was in his 80s when he passed, so those didn't have that impact. Tom Petty probably hit the hardest since it was unforeseen. Glenn Frey was another that hit hard. My late wife was a huge Dan Fogelberg fan, so that hit her very hard and me by extension I suppose. She passed from dementia brought on by Multiple Sclerosis, so Glenn Campbell's passing was one I took hard because of how he died and his story and that I was going down that same path with her at the time. Olivia's death probably hit me the hardest of any other celebrity beyond those.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

16. Likes:

I'd like to add that deaths that will hit me hard when they eventually happen are Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and Mick Jagger. Hopefully we don't hear about those for a long time.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

18. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Gilbert Gottfried - I listened to him on Howard Stern back in the day and loved his podcast. He was nutty but was a real person with young kids. He was also one of the funniest people ever.
    Norm MacDonald recently hurt quite a bit.

Also: Kurt Cobain was a big time shock for my generation. Just horrible loss. I would imagine that was similar to older folks losing John Lennon. However, Lennon had already made so much music with the Beatles and solo. Seemed like Cobain was just getting started.

Chris Cornell recently sucked major ass as well.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Norm MacDonald recently hurt quite a bit.

Also: Kurt Cobain was a big time shock for my generation. Just horrible loss. I would imagine that was similar to older folks losing John Lennon. However, Lennon had already made so much music with the Beatles and solo. Seemed like Cobain was just getting started.

Chris Cornell recently sucked major ass as well.
    You would have thought that Kurt would rocked me to the core- it was so expected, at least for me, that I was almost mad at him.

As Ive gotten more old- and more obsessed, truthfully- he was a sweetheart of a guy, like many addicts. He felt everything, hence the need to medicate. But a nice guy who just couldn't handle the success.

What would it have been like to- on the day Nevermind was released- be living in a car....and then go to the biggest band in the world? He had that big house in Lake Washington, just not who he was....he was living a lie by that point.

21. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (08-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    You would have thought that Kurt would rocked me to the core- it was so expected, at least for me, that I was almost mad at him.

As Ive gotten more old- and more obsessed, truthfully- he was a sweetheart of a guy, like many addicts. He felt everything, hence the need to medicate. But a nice guy who just couldn't handle the success.

What would it have been like to- on the day Nevermind was released- be living in a car....and then go to the biggest band in the world? He had that big house in Lake Washington, just not who he was....he was living a lie by that point.
    I could read and watch documentaries about the late 80s/early 90s Seattle music scene forever.

"Hype!" is just perfect.

Cobain and Nirvana is just one of those things I do not think anyone know what would have happened the next 10-20 years if he didnt die. I mean, think about the idea the Foo Fighters would not have existed. On the flip side, I could have seen Cobain just retiring in like 1998 never to be seen in public again.

Speaking of 90s rock....about halfway through this Woodstock 99 doc on Netflix. Good gravy.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 08-16-2022 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I could read and watch documentaries about the late 80s/early 90s Seattle music scene forever.

"Hype!" is just perfect.

Cobain and Nirvana is just one of those things I do not think anyone know what would have happened the next 10-20 years if he didnt die. I mean, think about the idea the Foo Fighters would not have existed. On the flip side, I could have seen Cobain just retiring in like 1998 never to be seen in public again.

Speaking of 90s rock....about halfway through this Woodstock 99 doc on Netflix. Good gravy.
    I think what gives Cobain staying power today is he died at his peak. He was dead 6 months or so after the MTV unplugged performance. Its crazy to think that album (which some think is the greatest live album ever) came out after Cobain died.

I wonder had Cobain lived, would he have continued his path with Nirvana or would he have done something similar to that of Scott Weiland. I tend to think if he is constantly battling addiction, Grohl goes elsewhere. Maybe not as quickly as he was forced to do, but it was inevitable.

I think I am around your age, and Chris Farley's death still hits me today. Just the pure comedic gold he was. I listened to his biography book on tape about a year ago and it brought back all those memories. Its a great listen/read if you have time. The guy was just so talented but lived his life to the max. Just some of the stories told about him are hilarious and also heartbreaking at the same time.

24. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (08-16-2022),Revering4Blue (08-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think what gives Cobain staying power today is he died at his peak. He was dead 6 months or so after the MTV unplugged performance. Its crazy to think that album (which some think is the greatest live album ever) came out after Cobain died.

I wonder had Cobain lived, would he have continued his path with Nirvana or would he have done something similar to that of Scott Weiland. I tend to think if he is constantly battling addiction, Grohl goes elsewhere. Maybe not as quickly as he was forced to do, but it was inevitable.

I think I am around your age, and Chris Farley's death still hits me today. Just the pure comedic gold he was. I listened to his biography book on tape about a year ago and it brought back all those memories. Its a great listen/read if you have time. The guy was just so talented but lived his life to the max. Just some of the stories told about him are hilarious and also heartbreaking at the same time.
    I think we are as well - I turn 39 next month

Yeah, I have watched quite a few specials on Farley over the years and the interviews of his friends are both funny and absolutely heartbreaking. David Spade especially. Oof. I will have to check out that book.

Turn Off Ads?