Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Automated Strike Zone

Re: Automated Strike Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    If a pitch is thrown between the knees and the letters, and any part of the ball passes over any part of the plate, then it should be called a strike -- even if the circumference of the ball is tangent to the edge of the plate, which basically gives the pitcher an extra "baseball diameter's width" on each side of the plate.

Now, where the edge of the plate actually is, is not entirely clear. Some people consider the reinforced black edge to be part of the plate, but on a properly manicured field the black is completely buried and actually only the white part (17" wide) is showing, level with the ground.
    I was always told that the black was not part of the plate. Whether that was really true or not I don't know?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I was always told that the black was not part of the plate. Whether that was really true or not I don't know?
    I always heard it's part of the plate.

The plate is a the physical item that has two sides that align with first and third, until 1899 the plate could be round, for years it was marble and could get jagged, folks avoided sliding into it.

Because it is a physical item the edge would have to be considered part of the plate, the black part was added years after the initial adoption, the reason why was because it provides the pitcher with a clear view from the mound where the plate no longer is in play. It's a lot like in soccer the ball is not out of bounds until the full ball is over the line, which is considered part of the field of play whereas in football the line contains the field of play and touching it places a player out of the field of play (and subjected to another battery of rules)
    Last edited by westofyou; 08-15-2022 at 12:55 PM.

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-15-2022)

I think it will be like the DH in the NL. We’ll wonder why they didn’t do it sooner.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

6. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (08-15-2022),Chip R (08-15-2022),cumberlandreds (08-15-2022),FlightRick (08-15-2022),goldglover9 (08-15-2022),LeatherPants (08-15-2022),mth123 (08-15-2022),NDRed (08-15-2022),Ron Madden (08-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I always heard it's part of the plate.

The plate is a the physical item that has two sides that align with first and third, until 1899 the plate could be round, for years it was marble and could get jagged, folks avoided sliding into it.

Because it is a physical item the edge would have to be considered part of the plate, the black part was added years after the initial adoption, the reason why was because it provides the pitcher with a clear view from the mound where the plate no longer is in play. It's a lot like in soccer the ball is not out of bounds until the full ball is over the line, which is considered part of the field of play whereas in football the line contains the field of play and touching it places a player out of the field of play (and subjected to another battery of rules)
    This is why I mentioned that there is some dispute as to where the edge of the plate actually is. The beveled black part was added to delineate the edge and make it clearer for the pitcher to see, and it is clearly physically part of the plate. But the rulebook also states that the plate is 17" wide, which is the exact width of the white part. Also, on many well-manicured fields, the black part is nearly buried, and the white part is flush with the ground. Often, the white part is periodically painted as well, to maintain its bright appearance (as it can't be swapped out for fresh bags like the other bases).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-15-2022),westofyou (08-15-2022)

I've never understood why people fight for the human call over the right call. Give me the right call every time. I don't care where it comes from.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

10. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (08-15-2022),Chip R (08-15-2022),Danny Serafini (08-15-2022),FlightRick (08-15-2022),goldglover9 (08-15-2022),mth123 (08-15-2022),oneupper (08-15-2022),Revering4Blue (08-15-2022),StRedlegs900 (08-15-2022)

When I umpired - I called "on the black"

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/idioms/painting-the-black
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

12. Likes:

Redsfan6272 (08-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think it will be like the DH in the NL. We’ll wonder why they didn’t do it sooner.
    I [bleep]ing despise the DH.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

14. Likes:

Danny Serafini (08-15-2022),sdwagers (08-15-2022),UKFlounder (08-15-2022)

From https://theathletic.com/news/mlb-aut...vTjB98D/?amp=1

MLB provided a reference sheet to teams explaining how the ABS works. The strike zone extends 19 inches wide at the middle point of home plate, including an inch off either edge (home plate is 17 inches wide). The top and bottom edges of the strike zone are based on specific percentages of the batter's height. The size of the automated zone, MLB said, is similar to the major-league zone.

Importantly, though, if any part of the ball even nicks the zone, the pitch is called a strike.

"I wish there was more of, you have to have X percentage of the ball that crosses the zone for it to be a strike," Bryant said. "Because the ones that just nick the corner, that's the gray area. As a pitcher you're like, 'maybe it's a strike?' And as a hitter you're like, 'I don't know either.'"

16. Likes:

Chip R (08-16-2022),Ron Madden (08-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I [bleep]ing despise the DH.

Name:  2930_3832_97.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  182.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

18. Likes:

Chip R (08-16-2022),Danny Serafini (08-15-2022)

I think such a strike zone is too big and will further stifle offense. They need to reduce that inside/outside

"Painting the black" is a pretty old baseball phrase. I always considered the black as in the zone.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

21. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-15-2022),westofyou (08-15-2022)

I've been in favor of this for a long time.

In a couple of years, it will be as well accepted as it is in tennis.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

23. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think such a strike zone is too big and will further stifle offense. They need to reduce that inside/outside
    Don’t shoot the messenger. Just documenting what the state of the art is. I’m sure this is why MLB is doing a trial run to work out the kinks. Proof of concept.

But it does seem like the strike zone would be bigger if just an eyelash of the ball touches the strike zone, then it’s a strike. I can understand that being controversial. But it is consistent.

But it does seem like the strike zone would be bigger if just an eyelash of the ball touches the strike zone, then it’s a strike. I can understand that being controversial. But it is consistent.
    If it’s consistent, the best hitters in the world will adjust accordingly. It may seem like it favors the pitchers slightly, but in the end, I think an automated zone helps the hitters more overall. When the strike zone is all over the place, the pitchers have a huge advantage.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    If it’s consistent, the best hitters in the world will adjust accordingly. It may seem like it favors the pitchers slightly, but in the end, I think an automated zone helps the hitters more overall. When the strike zone is all over the place, the pitchers have a huge advantage.
    If it's automated, they can always change the parameters.

Getting it figured out is the real genius. After that, it's just changing the math a little. (Or at least that's what I was told years ago from a mechanical engineer.)

27. Likes:

sjjones (08-21-2022)

Turn Off Ads?