Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Social Media Detox

Social Media Detox

A month ago I stopped posting altogether. I’ve been a part of this board since the CincyTalk days but I reached the point where I realized not just this board but Facebook, Twitter and TikTok had consumed my life and was having a negative impact on my wife and kids.

I deactivated Facebook and deleted the others. I’ll likely keep posting here especially once football and basketball season get into full swing but I can honestly say I don’t miss the others, especially Facebook.

I’m posting this if there is anyone else here in the same boat. Go into your phone and see how much time you are spending online every day. I was at 5 and a half at one point before deciding to make a change. When we went to the beach earlier in the month I was on it for an hour a day. It’s went up since but nowhere near where I was before.

Anyone else cut back on social media?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-13-2022),Dom Heffner (08-16-2022),goreds2 (08-14-2022),ShyGuy (08-13-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Social Media Detox

There's a reason why I have my username. Haha

But no all I've really done is forums over the years like this but on different topics. Raining from sports to music to mental health sites.

Social media has never and isn't my thing.

5. Likes:

goreds2 (08-14-2022)

Good for you! Social media is so addictive and so time-consuming. I dropped it all a couple of years ago and don’t miss it. Rip the bandaid off and go for it. You’ll thank yourself later. All that being said, Redszone doesn’t count as social media. So, allow yourself to indulge here.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

7. Likes:

goreds2 (08-14-2022)

Deactivating my FB is one of the most singularly productive things I have ever done.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

9. Likes:

goreds2 (08-14-2022),REDREAD (08-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Anyone else cut back on social media?
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    . . . Redszone doesn’t count as social media . . .
    Believe that if you want, I don't.

11. Likes:

Roy Tucker (08-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Yep

Believe that if you want, I don't.
    I know. I was kidding and just trying to give props to Redszone.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I dropped FB a long time ago now. Really wasn't on it very long and just never really resonated with me. I rarely go on Twitter now. I have never had a Tik Tok account or Instagram. Never had any interest in those two. RZ is the most I do social media. Although I never really thought of RZ in that way.

I have never saw the value in throwing open your personal life in one of these like FB. I just think it opens you up for a lot of bad things and stress that is very avoidable.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

14. Likes:

goreds2 (08-14-2022)

Good for all you not on Facebook or Twitter, I have not ever had account on either. I can totally understand why it can be addictive.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

16. Likes:

Sea Ray (08-16-2022)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Way to go.

Twitter is poison. Facebook I can control a little better.

Twitter is awesome for breaking news, but man they force a lot else on me that makes it almost not worth it.

We always knew we had stupid people in this country, social media allows them to organize and it makes my head hurt.

I deactivated FB last year, but rarely posted anyway. My husband is addicted. Drives me nuts. I don’t understand caring that much about others day-to-day lives. But in fairness he doesn’t understand why I care about baseball - Lol

19. Likes:

goreds2 (08-16-2022)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

About 4 years ago, I was in a debate on FB. The subject doesn't matter. But at that moment I asked myself what I was really doing there. It wasn't accomplishing anything except adding to the suffering in the world. At that moment, I quit Facebook. Went about a year and a half before posting anything. Even now I rarely post, and never reply to anyone else's post. Wind went out of my sails and hasn't returned.

I do still hang out on Twitter. But I curate my experience by using Tweetdeck. That allows me to create feeds based on search terms or lists of users I've created. Like I've got one for sports reporters, one for entertainers, one for a search for breaking news, things like that. They update automatically, so I can just watch and jump in if I want.

Never done anything on the other platforms (unless you count LinkedIn as social media). Just no point to it anymore.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Deleted Facebook 2 years ago. One of the best decisions I’ve ever made.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

22. Likes:

goreds2 (08-17-2022),WVRed (08-23-2022)

My wife is on Facebook, and I direct all my friends and family who want to connect on Facebook to friend her. I asked her to tell me if anything important happens, and I hear from her about once a year on that. Feel pretty good about that delegation of Facebook duties!

24. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-18-2022),goreds2 (08-17-2022)

I'm on them all, but I'm not an active poster on any of them (occasional photo on fb and anti-Reds ownership tweet on twitter) I actually hate linked in the most as I find some of the posters ridiculous, for instance, my brother in law loves to post laudatory things to people in his field, which I find kind of awful.
    Where we gonna go?

26. Likes:

Boston Red (08-18-2022),ShyGuy (08-20-2022)

I actually love LinkedIn as a way to keep track of what a bunch of random people from my life are currently doing (which I guess is what Facebook is for many/most), but I never actually look at it and the things people write about each other on there. Back when I did, I agree that it was mostly incredibly obnoxious.

28. Likes:

ShyGuy (08-20-2022)

Turn Off Ads?