Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Weekly College Football Pick'em

2022 Weekly College Football Pick'em

A new season is coming upon us, and I'm throwing out this suggestion to those who have participated in the past. Before, we played two "divisions" ... The B1G, where we'd weekly play their entire conference schedule, and Other National Games (ONG), where we'd play approximately 12 national games, selections from the remaining conferences. All-in-all, we'd play approximately 25 games total weekly.

This season I was thinking about eliminating the "divisions", and just playing a straight 20 games. And I would select games, as best I could, from all the available conferences, based on match-ups, competiveness, and level of competion. This way I can be more "selective" in chosing competitive games to fill out the schedule, while not being obligated to playing one conference's entire schedule (B1G).

And yes, we will be playing point spreads. I will be adding .5 to whole number spreads to insure no ties.

So give me your input. The first week, as far as scheduling goes, is one hectic mess. So bare with me. There is an abbreviated schedule for Week #1 (Aug 27th) approximately 12 games. I'm going to start our Week #1 on Thursday Sept. 1st thru Saturday Sept 3rd. That's a full slate of games (lol).

As is my routine in the past, I will have the schedule, for the upcoming week, posted every Monday. That way people have the entire week, right up to game time, to get their picks in. And I usually have the results posted (standings) sometimes on Sunday (day after games).

This is all about having fun. A bunch of us have been doing this for several years now. I think the only other rule we have is that you must play the entire weekly schedule. While we all try to keep an eye on one another, help each other out, if you miss making a pick for a game(s) it goes down as a loss. So review your weekly picks before submitting them. But again, we're not legalists here. If you want to make a change, as long as it's before game time, post it on here and let us know. But again. This is all about having soime fun.

So give me your ideas or suggestions if you have any.

I'll have Week #1 posted on Monday August 29th.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-15-2022),BuckeyeRed27 (08-14-2022),cumberlandreds (08-14-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2022 Weekly College Football Pick'em

Thanks GAC. I think that is a good idea about having just 20 games from anywhere. Just way too many bad games with teams playing FCS teams or lower. Its hard enough finding 20 decent games most any week of the season. Starting week 1 Labor Day weekend is the best option. Not that many games the weekend of Aug 27th. Only one or two that may be a decent game also.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

5. Likes:

GAC (08-16-2022)

Sounds good to me
    Go Gators!

I like the two different groups personally, but whatever it is I'll still be in

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    I like the two different groups personally, but whatever it is I'll still be in
    Problem is there are too many blowout games in the Big Ten on any given week. Even with point spreads, no one's going to pick Arkansas St to beat OSU so even if there's an upset it doesn't separate the crowd here

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I am cool with what ever is chosen to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Problem is there are too many blowout games in the Big Ten on any given week. Even with point spreads, no one's going to pick Arkansas St to beat OSU so even if there's an upset it doesn't separate the crowd here
    Every conference has their "blowout" (cupcake) games. The "problem" was we were obligating ourselves, weekly, to playing the entire B1G schedule the good, the bad, and the ugly ... while I could be selective in ONG, omit those games, and play more competitive level games, even with point spreads.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Every conference has their "blowout" (cupcake) games. The "problem" was we were obligating ourselves, weekly, to playing the entire B1G schedule the good, the bad, and the ugly ... while I could be selective in ONG, omit those games, and play more competitive level games, even with point spreads.
    "Every conference" is not part of the discussion because no other conference is completely included every week. You are correct that every conference has blowout games every week.

I say lets try them all together.....then maybe my absolute embarrassing performance with Big10 games will not stick out so much.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    "Every conference" is not part of the discussion because no other conference is completely included every week.
    That was my point. If you commit yourself to playing any conference's entire weekly schedule you're gonna get the ugly, and quite regularly. I'm simply eliminating that. I don't care if we're talking about OSU or 'Bama or whoever ... when they're playing "Murray State Technical College", and the point spread is 50+?... they ain't gonna be on the schedule that week (lol). And I don't think anyone who participates (unless they're an alumni) cares to ever have, for example, a Rutgers or a Vandebilt game on the schedule. lol

This has always been strictly for fun. But since we're going to play 20 games weekly (last year, between B1G and ONG we played 25-30 games) I want there to be a little more "competiveness" in the schedule on a week-to-week basis. We'll see how it goes.
    Last edited by GAC; 08-17-2022 at 03:19 PM.

14. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-18-2022),cumberlandreds (08-17-2022),Puffy (08-17-2022)

I'm getting Week #1 out as early as possible. In the future I won't be putting Thursday games on the schedule. Please be patient, as we all know the first week or so of the season it's lean finding quality match-ups. So I'll probably throw some games in to fill out the schedule that won't be my normal pattern (lol). But hey! The college football season is upon us!

WEEK #1

Thursday Sept 1st

W. Virginia @ #17 Pittsburgh (-7.5)
    Penn State @ Purdue

Friday Sept 2nd

TCU (-10.5) @ Colorado
    Illlinois @ Indiana
    Temple @ Duke

Saturday Sept 3rd

#11 Oregon @ #3 Georgia (-17.5)
    #5 Notre Dame @ #2 Ohio State (-15.5)
    #7 Utah @ Florida
    #23 Cincinnati @ #17 Arkansas
    Miami(OH) @ #20 Kentucky (-18.5)
    #24 Houston @ UTSA
    #25 BYU (-12.5) @ S. Florida
    Louisville @ Syracuse
    Boise State @ Oregon State
    Arizona @ San Diego State
    Memphis @ Mississippi State (-14.5)
    N. Carolina @ Appalachian State
    Tulsa @ Wyoming
    Army @ Coastal Carolina
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 08-26-2022 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Updated and took out some point spreads

16. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-26-2022),cumberlandreds (08-26-2022)

Thanks GAC! All point spreads. Oh boy this will be interesting. I put a sticky on it so we won't any problems finding this each week.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

18. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-26-2022),GAC (08-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Thanks GAC! All point spreads. Oh boy this will be interesting. I put a sticky on it so we won't any problems finding this each week.
    I was so busy trying to find quality matchups - after about 8-9 games too - I wasn't even thinking what I was doing. No. Every game won't be a point spread game moving forward. I normally don't put PS's on anything under a TD. So if you want to take the time and remove the PS's on anything under a TD that's cool. Thanks cumberland.

20. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I was so busy trying to find quality matchups - after about 8-9 games too - I wasn't even thinking what I was doing. No. Every game won't be a point spread game moving forward. I normally don't put PS's on anything under a TD. So if you want to take the time and remove the PS's on anything under a TD that's cool. Thanks cumberland.
    No problem. Got it.

See if looks OK now. I took out PS 7 and under.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 08-26-2022 at 02:29 PM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

22. Likes:

GAC (08-27-2022)

Just my $.02 - since this is an Ohio, specifically Cinci, based board maybe always include OSU and UC?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?