Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Anybody play poker?

Anybody play poker?

Last night I was playing NLH online and in the span of 40 hands, I was dealt KK twice, and EACH time, someone else had AA.

I have the odds of that happening at 1/756250, but I’m open to the idea that that’s wrong. Anyways, have a good night.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Anybody play poker?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    Last night I was playing NLH online and in the span of 40 hands, I was dealt KK twice, and EACH time, someone else had AA.

I have the odds of that happening at 1/756250, but I’m open to the idea that that’s wrong. Anyways, have a good night.
    Fun fact: true randomization doesn't happen with computers. It's either impossible, or nobody's found a way to do it yet.

I've had AA vs. AA a few times in my life in B&M poker. I do remember one AA (me) vs. KK hand as well.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

4. Likes:

marcshoe (08-20-2022),redsfan9988 (08-15-2022)

Can I ask if you are playing for money? How do you trust the computer that everything is on the up & up? What is there to prevent 2 or 3 guys all getting on the same table and playing under a conference call, or having some sort of tracker software that quickly displays the odds and for each hand? I would assume the later happens at a minimum on any game. Just seems like there is a pretty big leap of faith for me to take (having never actually seen the mechanics) to feel like I'd be willing to wager any real money on an online poker game.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Can I ask if you are playing for money? How do you trust the computer that everything is on the up & up? What is there to prevent 2 or 3 guys all getting on the same table and playing under a conference call, or having some sort of tracker software that quickly displays the odds and for each hand? I would assume the later happens at a minimum on any game. Just seems like there is a pretty big leap of faith for me to take (having never actually seen the mechanics) to feel like I'd be willing to wager any real money on an online poker game.
    It is for real money, but I typically play low stakes. $10 27-handed tournaments and $0.10/$0.25 cash games. The risk of malfeasance is there for sure, but that’s also true of live games. I live in Texas, and while law enforcement generally looks the other way on poker rooms - the possibility of a raid keeps me home most of the time. I do pretty well in these low-stakes games. If that ever changes or starts to look sketchy, I’ll back off for sure. Cashing out is a pain - they use crypto and I have to pass winnings through about three different platforms before I can access them. There’s risk there too.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

I only play for real money with friends, using an online site (WPT). It's been a while since I've done anything but show up and play, but I think you set up a free table with them -- or the cheapest one -- and treat it as a $20 sit-and-go, with your own treasurer keeping track and paying out of a paypal "slush fund" (which also pays our antes now, and any rake).

I basically keep $40 in the "fund" at all times, and only make a partial cash-out request (which goes straight to MY paypal, easy peasy) if I get up over $100. We trust our treasurer way more than we trust 3 layers of crypto bros, to say the least.

Summary: there's a "hybrid" way of doing things using the online poker infrastructure to play cheap/free games, while keeping all your own money in your own hands, if you play with 6-7 friends once or so a week. We used to do it in person, now, then Covid happened, and now, we still do it online other than once in a blue moon. [Google Meet optional, but recommended.]

8. Likes:

redsfan9988 (08-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    It is for real money, but I typically play low stakes. $10 27-handed tournaments and $0.10/$0.25 cash games. The risk of malfeasance is there for sure, but that’s also true of live games. I live in Texas, and while law enforcement generally looks the other way on poker rooms - the possibility of a raid keeps me home most of the time. I do pretty well in these low-stakes games. If that ever changes or starts to look sketchy, I’ll back off for sure. Cashing out is a pain - they use crypto and I have to pass winnings through about three different platforms before I can access them. There’s risk there too.
    The Texas Poker room situation is pretty crazy, with robberies and shut downs and such. Chris Moneymaker is opening a club in Kentucky on September 1st, using the same model the clubs in Texas use (memberships with no rake). It’ll be interesting to see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I think six states have regulated online poker, so if you live in one of those states you don’t have to worry much about cheaters ( the major sites do a good job of keeping the cheaters away). For most of the country, you would be advised to only keep what you can afford to lose if/when the non-regulated/off shore sites go under. ACR is the biggest, US available site, and they’ve had problems for years, but it’s basically the only choice for 90% of US players.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    The Texas Poker room situation is pretty crazy, with robberies and shut downs and such. Chris Moneymaker is opening a club in Kentucky on September 1st, using the same model the clubs in Texas use (memberships with no rake). It’ll be interesting to see how it goes.
    Yeah, they’re putting big “POKER” signs up all over town. There are rooms on every corner now, using the “social club” model where they charge hourly for “chairs.” Even still, a couple of rooms recently got raided here in Houston. Prime Social was the headliner. Supposedly, there was much more than just poker going on there and some of the owners were (allegedly) laundering money. Generally, if they stay low-key, they’re not bothered much by law enforcement. I used to play in those rooms, but it’s too much action for me. It’s a $1/$3 game, but they basically play like $2/$5. You buy in for $500 and you’re the short stack. Pass.

The room I used to deal at back in the day got raided (on my day off, happily), and I was robbed at gunpoint playing at a room a couple of years later. I’ll stick to online, and fly to Vegas if I want to play live.

Sounds incorrect to me.

Here is a good explanation from elsewhere...

On average a player is dealth KK one time per 52*51/2*6=221 hands, and because of blockers another player will then have AA one time per 50*49/2*6=204 hands. So from this simple math it follow, that in a heads-up math we will run KK into AA one time every 221x204=45,121 hands.

For a 6-max game we can divide this number with 5 and determine, that our KK will run into AA roughly every 9.000 hands. The last calculation is not 100% correct, but its close enough to give an idea. For full ring games the number drop further to 5,600 hands.
    via https://www.cardschat.com/forum/gene...-vs-kk-433290/

That seems about right according to my experience as well. So yah, you are running super horrible in that spot, but it can actually get worse and its not that crazy. In the last block of 800ish hours that I played, the closest to this I came was when I had kk under aa twice within a few hours of each other which was probably within maybe 100 hands, not more than 200.

Quote Originally Posted by BenchRider View Post
    Sounds incorrect to me.

Here is a good explanation from elsewhere...

via https://www.cardschat.com/forum/gene...-vs-kk-433290/

That seems about right according to my experience as well. So yah, you are running super horrible in that spot, but it can actually get worse and its not that crazy. In the last block of 800ish hours that I played, the closest to this I came was when I had kk under aa twice within a few hours of each other which was probably within maybe 100 hands, not more than 200.
    Remember, my having KK is a necessary pillar of the equation, here. In a 9-handed game, you run into someone with AA ~4% of the time. You get KK around 1/220 hands. So the odds of it happening once are ~1/5500. Twice I the span of 40 hands should be:

1/5500 * 40/5500 or 1/756,250.

This assumes, we are talking odds before the game starts. Once it’s happened once, the odds of it happening again in 40 hands are much better than 1/750000 obviously.
    Last edited by redsfan9988; 08-23-2022 at 01:01 PM.

Plus, you see a lot more hands in an online session than you do IRL. That skews perspective a bit.

Not sure I would have been able to lay off of KK. Twice. Maybe on a good day.

One thing that is a shame about hold em' is that when the stakes are low, everyone is all in every other hand so you don't get to practice strategy. One of the best things to do is practice playing the players, rather than your hand, when there is actual skin in the game. Math is math, but all the other patterns to observe in hold em is what drew me in, and that's where all the money is in my opinion.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

15. Likes:

redsfan9988 (08-25-2022)

So… I went to Vegas to play the little tournaments at Caesar’s Palace last week. I played five and got:

11th
    1st
    1st
    2nd
    6th

And made about five grand.

I’m heading back next week to play a $2K WSOP event. I’ve been playing semi-seriously since I was 16 (2003), but this will be the first time I’ve tried WSOP. If I win, I will pledge $10,000 to RedsZone towards turning off the ads. Wish me luck,

17. Likes:

Bob Sheed (06-10-2023),Boss-Hog (06-08-2023),goreds2 (06-09-2023),Redhook (06-08-2023),RiverRat13 (06-11-2023),Roy Tucker (06-09-2023),swingbelly (08-18-2023),WrongVerb (06-08-2023)

Just last week, I was in a game where I got dealt QQ three times in a row. Lost two of them to higher pairs but managed to take down a nice pot on the third.

Last night I dabbled in some live poker on joker123 login. Had a heart-stopping moment when I landed a royal flush that pocketed me $2500. Never thought I'd see that hand in my lifetime! I stick to live poker there, though. With so many stories floating around, I'm a bit wary about potential scams in online poker.
    Last edited by swingbelly; 08-18-2023 at 07:42 PM.

19. Likes:

redsfan9988 (08-18-2023)

Turn Off Ads?