Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The new Jake Fraley thread

Re: The new Jake Fraley thread

Yeah, I was completely off on him.

I still think he looks unpolished in the OF (mostly in how he reads the ball), but his bat is looking completely different.

I am glad the Reds didn't consult my advice on this, here is hoping he keeps it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

2. Likes:

CySeymour (08-17-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    My plan for OF next year would be:

1. Fraley in platoon for one corner. He seems best in LF, but if necessary can be in RF.

2. Aquino replaced by RHH in that Fraley platoon. Reds need lefty masher in that spot.

3. FA signing of Benintendi or Conforto in other corner. Or another LH hitting full time player.

4. For now, keep combo of Senzel and Almore in CF. Eventually replace by a prospect, probably a current shortstop prospect, DeLaCruz, Marte, McClain, etc.

5. Fifth OF give Friedl another shot based on his excellent hitting at AAA late this season.
    Name:  mandalorian-this-is-the-way.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  13.5 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

5. Likes:

Kc61 (08-17-2022)

I’d let Fraley play everyday before I’d platoon him with Aquino, that dude needs to be gone asap

7. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (08-17-2022),icehole3 (08-17-2022),Wonderful Monds (08-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Rowsdower View Post
    I’d let Fraley play everyday before I’d platoon him with Aquino, that dude needs to be gone asap
    After hearing Eric Davis I'm for cutting ties with Aquino ASAP.

9. Likes:

Chainsaw (08-17-2022),Chip R (08-17-2022),wlf WV (08-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    After hearing Eric Davis I'm for cutting ties with Aquino ASAP.
    What did Davis have to say about Aquino? I didn’t see his full segment during the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    What did Davis have to say about Aquino? I didn’t see his full segment during the game.
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...e/65407152007/

Davis addressed Reds outfielder Aristides Aquino's struggles at the plate at the big-league level since his 19-homer season of 2019. Aquino has struck out 57 times in 135 plate appearances this season.

"I've watched him a lot," Davis said of Aquino. "I just think No. 1 … he's never been willing to change. He's stuck in what he believes is the proper structure for him. And this game is about adjustments. And whenever you are fearful of change, you're not going to improve. To me, he's too big to be that tall and stiff (in his batting stance). And his hands (don't move). And all he does is become something that he taught me: It's that when you're rotational, you're robotic. And there is no freeness in his hands which is not going to be freeness in his swing. … I would spread him out and put him in his legs and lower his hands … because he's so powerful, he doesn't have to overswing to hit the ball hard. It's just a matter of him … getting his bat and his head closer to the strike zone. If you watch him, the only pitches he really hammers are balls that are up and out over the plate. Because the further your head is away from the strike zone, the further your hands are away from the strike zone. … His head and his hands never get into where you see that square is. He's nowhere near that."

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-17-2022),Chip R (08-17-2022),NDRed (08-18-2022),Old school 1983 (08-17-2022),Rowsdower (08-17-2022),Roy Tucker (08-17-2022),SirFelixCat (08-21-2022),Tony Cloninger (08-17-2022),UKFlounder (08-17-2022)

I think that Fraley can probably give the Reds what Naquin did while he was around. I would actually hope for a bit better, but that is not the worse thing on the LH side of a platoon, for example.

Though maybe he has a little more than that in him as well. Glad to see him play well, the Reds could use a LH outfielder pretty badly.

14. Likes:

HokieRed (08-17-2022),Mitri (08-17-2022)

Fraley is hot right now and proving me wrong about his offense. Time will tell whether or not this is a hot streak or who he is. I still don't like his defense in the OF. Given how many holes this team has to fill, he's probably going to be in LF or at DH next year. Fingers crossed.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    My plan for OF next year would be:

1. Fraley in platoon for one corner. He seems best in LF, but if necessary can be in RF.

2. Aquino replaced by RHH in that Fraley platoon. Reds need lefty masher in that spot.

3. FA signing of Benintendi or Conforto in other corner. Or another LH hitting full time player.

4. For now, keep combo of Senzel and Almore in CF. Eventually replace by a prospect, probably a current shortstop prospect, DeLaCruz, Marte, McClain, etc.

5. Fifth OF give Friedl another shot based on his excellent hitting at AAA late this season.
    A wild card for CF is Siani

Another potential option instead of FA is try to trade for Austin Meadows as a buy low option. I think he would have a nice bounce back year in GABP

Quote Originally Posted by Rowsdower View Post
    If only there was a designated fielder rule.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

If Fraley's the "answer" at one corner OF spot, I'd love to see the Reds sign a FA DH or 1B in addition to the CF and RF they need.

I guess I'd settle for one of Senzel/ Fairchild/ Friedl plus Fraley and two acquisitions.

An India/ Stephenson/ Fraley core doesn't exactly strike fear into the hearts of opposing pitchers.

Mixing and matching is all well and good, but I think the 2023 Reds need to acquire at least one outfielder who’s just plain pencil-him-in-every-day-in-middle-of-the-lineup good. Not necessarily a superstar, but someone Starling Marte-ish. Then with Jake and the other odds and sods lying around, you have an outfield who at least won’t embarrass you until the kids arrive.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

21. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (08-17-2022)

Fraley looks good but it’s August and I’m always suspect of success later in the season. Let’s let the league see him and pitchers make adjustments. Then we can see if he figures into longer plans.

I think it was around now in 2019 when Aquino set the league on fire for a few weeks.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

0-4 today. Did I jinx him?

Maybe the ayahuasca is wearing off.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...e/65407152007/

Davis addressed Reds outfielder Aristides Aquino's struggles at the plate at the big-league level since his 19-homer season of 2019. Aquino has struck out 57 times in 135 plate appearances this season.

"I've watched him a lot," Davis said of Aquino. "I just think No. 1 … he's never been willing to change. He's stuck in what he believes is the proper structure for him. And this game is about adjustments. And whenever you are fearful of change, you're not going to improve. To me, he's too big to be that tall and stiff (in his batting stance). And his hands (don't move). And all he does is become something that he taught me: It's that when you're rotational, you're robotic. And there is no freeness in his hands which is not going to be freeness in his swing. … I would spread him out and put him in his legs and lower his hands … because he's so powerful, he doesn't have to overswing to hit the ball hard. It's just a matter of him … getting his bat and his head closer to the strike zone. If you watch him, the only pitches he really hammers are balls that are up and out over the plate. Because the further your head is away from the strike zone, the further your hands are away from the strike zone. … His head and his hands never get into where you see that square is. He's nowhere near that."
    Hitters usually don't like to adjust their swings too much when they get up to the majors. Their reasoning is that what they did was good enough to get there so they don't need to change.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?