Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto having surgery Fri

Re: Votto having surgery Fri

Quote Originally Posted by Redsin4 View Post
    Unpopular take probably, but any chance of a retirement settlement/buyout?

He’s owed 32M between the 25M 2023 salary and the 7M 2024 buyout. Any chance he’d take like 20M and not be forced to go through a grueling rehab at age 39 or however old he is?

My guess is that wouldn’t be the way he wants to go out, but I think it could make sense for both sides.
    Nah. I give Joey the Winter to rehab the shoulder and try to come back strong in ST. They've got plenty of pad to make any signings they might need for 2023. Give Joey a chance to come back and do the "Grand Tour." Not expecting "vintage Votto," but if the shoulder has been causing issues for an extended period, I can see him being very productive.

Besides, with all the youth I expect dotting the 26-man next year, Joey's experience will be invaluable. I think at the very least, Joey deserves a shot at a final spin around the League. I seriously doubt that he wants to go out on a season like this one (and we should want him to have a shot at better as well).

I can't see any circumstance where the Club pick up his 2024 option, so they will have his payroll spot to spend when it really starts to matter.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 08-17-2022 at 09:14 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Tough news.

He’s so intelligent but it seems like he really wants to keep playing. If he wants to go through all that’s needed and comeback….he’ll have his spot and 550 PA. If he decides to retire I’ll be pretty surprised. He’s going to want to go out better than this.

I expect him to be in starting lineup batting 4th snd playing 1B next year on opening day

4. Likes:

mbgrayson (08-20-2022)

Just had it done in July, for the 5th time. Have him call me, I'll walk him thru it.
    He thinks it interrupts his sleep now, wait until after surgery.
    Last edited by standerson; 08-17-2022 at 09:36 PM.

I think he will not only be back but be close to a version of 2021. I do not expect 37 home runs again but I think 25 is very realistic. He hit 11 this year but how many balls were caught about 3 feet from the wall? I have torn both my rotator cuffs and you do learn to manage the pain but it absolutely zaps strength and power. He will get it fixed and as some one stated before, the rehab isn’t horrible. If utilized as mainly a DH I think it’s very reasonable to expect 25 hrs and 75-80 rbi with an average somewhere between 240-260 and an obp of 325-340. I can live with that quite happily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes:

KeefeCato (08-18-2022),Larkin Fan (08-18-2022),mbgrayson (08-20-2022),Mitri (08-18-2022),mth123 (08-17-2022),Ron Madden (08-17-2022),westofyou (08-17-2022),WildcatFan (08-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by standerson View Post
    Just had it done in July, for the 5th time. Have him call me, I'll walk him thru it.
    He thinks it interrupts his sleep now, wait until after surgery.
    I slept on my stomach for 24 years. Broke my ankle and have never been able to do it since

Turn back the clock 20-ish years and we were hearing the same thing about how it was time to move on from Barry Larkin as a SS. Been an awesome run of Reds SSs since then, eh?

Get well soon, JV. Baseball is much better when you’re on the field in a Reds uniform.

10. Likes:

KeefeCato (08-18-2022),Larkin Fan (08-18-2022),Revering4Blue (08-18-2022)

Hopefully Votto can come back and have one more good year. But he will be 39 and just about any surgery at that age is difficult to comeback from and be back to a high level that he played most of his career.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

12. Likes:

OldFashionedRed (08-18-2022)

Age be darned, I really expected the revamped approach to give him a chance at another great year or two. We’ll see if he makes it back from this, but this explains why he flat out couldn’t execute on all the things he seemed so confident about this spring. Get well soon Joe

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Hopefully Votto can come back and have one more good year. But he will be 39 and just about any surgery at that age is difficult to comeback from and be back to a high level that he played most of his career.
    We'd all love to see Joey go out with a bang, but he's against all odds here at that age.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

I think Votto will be back and have a big year and he'll play again in 2024. Unfortunately, next year he'll be playing on an awful team that loses 100 games because the pitching will be so Gawdawful that Gawdawful won't be a bad enough term to describe it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I slept on my stomach for 24 years. Broke my ankle and have never been able to do it since
    It's crazy, I rolled my ankle horribly 3 months ago and was just not walking right for like a month or so. Feel like my whole body is still out of whack.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Let's bet something fun, loser buys the winner a New Era Reds cap
    I think I am going to lose this because even if he retires he might try for a month in April, but sure, I am game
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I thought, with the poor season he's been having, that he might just decide to hang it up after this year. But during the Field of Dreams game he was talking about playing a few more years so I thought that was a long shot. Then he said he's getting surgery and now I realize he's all in for next year. If there's no improvement, I could see him taking the Reds buyout and either retire or play elsewhere. It's a stretch to see him play as well as he did last year. It's not just the shoulder but it's the legs, the eyes and the desire to continue the grind of playing MLB. All his pals are gone and he may not want to stick around a perpetually rebuilding team. He's probably a HOFer but staying on one team his entire career would probably help him more than chasing a championship as a platoon DH/1B.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It's crazy, I rolled my ankle horribly 3 months ago and was just not walking right for like a month or so. Feel like my whole body is still out of whack.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I am going to lose this because even if he retires he might try for a month in April, but sure, I am game
    Cool it's a goofy bet!

The week I broke my ankle my friend rolled his bad, I had my cast off and was moving great two months later and he was still limping around. Doctor told him a break would have been better

Votto does not strike me as the kind of guy who would want to go out like this. My guess is he is going to try his butt off to get back in shape and healthy for next season. The only way he retires early IMO is if something else happens health wise to set him back.

20. Likes:

mth123 (08-18-2022)

Sounds like about 75% of Redszone has torn at least one torn rotator cuff . Ditto for me.

I had a suspicion there was truly something wrong during the game in the corn field when Smoltz was commenting that Joey has been battling injuries for the past few years and everyone was asking wth was he talking about. I respect trying to play through it and not give it as an excuse. That's old school. It didn't hurt the team. If we were playing for post season, it would be totally different and I have faith that he would have stepped down. I also have faith that he will be back in shape next season. There doesn't appear to be an ounce of fat on that guy. He's in top shape and is disciplined enough to pull it off and have a nice '23 season.

Best of luck Joe!

22. Likes:

mbgrayson (08-20-2022),Number_Fourteen (08-19-2022),wally post (08-20-2022)

Turn Off Ads?