Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto having surgery Fri

Re: Votto having surgery Fri

So now the LHH options are Fraley, Fredl, an already injured Moose and 2 no power switch hitters? Yikes.

Best wishes to Joey. Good for him that he's getting it done now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    That makes absolutely no sense. 39 is very young to have rotator cuff surgery whether you're an athlete or not. I had it done at 50 and the most I use my arm for is to bridge a cue stick and swing a golf club. Was told by my surgeon (who also was surgeon for many Chicago Bears players) that at my age it's a no brainer to get it done. Maybe if was in my 60s or 70s it wouldn't be so obvious.

So whether he plans to come back or not, there's absolutely no reason not to get the surgery. And the rehab is not that bad.
    I have tears on both shoulders, Doc told me 10 years ago if i can manage the pain, and don't intend on entering weight lifting competitions, surgery is not worth it.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

4. Likes:

Chip R (08-18-2022),Dawink (08-17-2022)

Name:  5849C06F-48BE-4D15-9167-C9B6C5C2273E.jpeg
Views: 398
Size:  83.9 KB

I wish Joey a speedy and full recovery.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

7. Likes:

Chip R (08-18-2022),goreds2 (08-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    how would that make sense from votto's side? leave $12M on the table? when i'm sure he still wants to play and go out strong (which i know you alluded to). no way he would agree to that. plus, i want to see what he can do in 2023. although, after a serious surgery like this, i'm highly skeptical he will have a good season. this will make it impossible for him to lift weights for a long time. so, even after 6 months, how strong will he be? how much strength will he have lost compared to pre-surgery? and he'll be 39. add it all up, 2023 will probably be a rough final year for joey, but hopefully i'm wrong.

anyway, no way he accepts a buyout where he eats $12M. JMO.
    Agree with this and I hope he gets every penny of that contract.

Selfishly, I want to see him retire properly and not be forced by injury.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

9. Likes:

REDREAD (08-17-2022),Revering4Blue (08-17-2022),Ron Madden (08-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I hope that Joey is able to fill a role for Reds next year. It would be a fitting way to wind down a great Reds career.

Reds will have to recognize that they need to build the middle of the order without expecting Joey to carry the ball. That time probably is here due to normal wear and tear, his contract status, and this injury/surgery.

It’s been easy all these years just to write “Votto 1B” in the key offensive lineup spots. Reds need to be ready for something new.
    They desperately need to sign a couple of LHH that play OF and are capable of hitting 20 plus HRS. Even if they can't hit LHP. They have some RHH Ofers on the roster who can platoon with them. These type players are always on the free agent market and won't break the bank.
    Then sign at least one decent veteran starting pitcher and 2-3 relievers. Add in Hopefully healthy Stephenson, Votto and India and I think they can at least play .500 ball and with some healthy and luck could contend for a WC spot.
    They don't have to spend a bunch or sign LTC to do this. At least be competitive till the kids start to arrive in 24.

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr

Joey Votto injured his rotator cuff in ‘15, unsure when it tore. “The doctor informed me with these sort of injuries, at some point, you hit a breaking point and you’re not able to manage it quite as well. That’s the way I felt over the last several months”

12. Likes:

KeefeCato (08-17-2022)

By GARY SCHATZ, Associated Press - 21m ago

CINCINNATI (AP) — Cincinnati Reds first baseman Joey Votto will have season-ending surgery Friday on his left rotator cuff, repairing a long-term injury.

Votto, who turns 39 next month, said he got hurt when he got tangled up with a baserunner in 2015. He played through the injury, but it has gotten worse this year.

“I don’t know how to explain it but it’s been lingering for a while,” Votto said after Cincinnati's 1-0 victory over Philadelphia on Wednesday.

Votto, a six-time All-Star and 2010 NL MVP, hit just .205 this season with 11 homers and 41 RBIs. He has one year left on his contract that includes a club option for 2024.

“I’m not sure if it’s affected my performance," he said. "I can’t say that. I don’t want to make an excuse but surgery is necessary. I plan on getting it done on Friday. I’ve been told that it is a six-month rehab.”

Votto said he got an MRI about 10 days ago.

“I’ve played through lots of different stuff," he said. "I was motivated to get an MRI because of the pain, the interruption of my sleep. It was difficult to lift my arm.

“It didn’t surprise me the result. The feedback that I needed to get surgery surprised me. I tried strength training. It didn’t work.”

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    how would that make sense from votto's side? leave $12M on the table? when i'm sure he still wants to play and go out strong (which i know you alluded to). no way he would agree to that. plus, i want to see what he can do in 2023. although, after a serious surgery like this, i'm highly skeptical he will have a good season. this will make it impossible for him to lift weights for a long time. so, even after 6 months, how strong will he be? how much strength will he have lost compared to pre-surgery? and he'll be 39. add it all up, 2023 will probably be a rough final year for joey, but hopefully i'm wrong.

anyway, no way he accepts a buyout where he eats $12M. JMO.
    Over the past 20 some odd years, I can remember maybe a handful of players that did this. The one I remember most vividly was Kenji Johjima who decided to go back to Japan with 2 guaranteed years and 16M$ left on his contract with SEA. He ended up signing with a team in Japan that paid him more than the amount he walked away from. Ironically, he then opted out again of his final year in Japan to retire, leaving some of that $ on the table.

Gil Meche and Adam LaRoche also come to mind. Meche said he just didn't enjoy playing hurt anymore and didn't want to rehab with the club and LaRoche was p'd off that CHI told him to keep his kid out of the clubhouse.

A group of players headed by Mike Leake left money on the table in 2020, but that was only due to COVID.

Votto has no reason to not collect every cent he's owed.

EDIT: I forgot about Ian Desmond, he walked away with millions on the table because he didn't think baseball was important anymore given what was happening in America.
    Last edited by Kinsm; 08-17-2022 at 08:42 PM.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-18-2022),REDREAD (08-17-2022),Revering4Blue (08-17-2022)

Here we are.

Down to a maximum of one full season of Joey Votto on the Reds.

17. Likes:

OldFashionedRed (08-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Agree with this and I hope he gets every penny of that contract.

Selfishly, I want to see him retire properly and not be forced by injury.
    Yep, if the choice is Votto or Phil C getting money, I want Votto to get every cent.

Votto would never accept a buyout for less than the full amount remaining on his contract (which of course would never be offered)
    Why should he? Ownership chose to give him that contract, why take a 12 million discount to make a billionaire a little bit richer?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

19. Likes:

mbgrayson (08-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsin4 View Post
    Unpopular take probably, but any chance of a retirement settlement/buyout?

He’s owed 32M between the 25M 2023 salary and the 7M 2024 buyout. Any chance he’d take like 20M and not be forced to go through a grueling rehab at age 39 or however old he is?

My guess is that wouldn’t be the way he wants to go out, but I think it could make sense for both sides.
    The one part of your post I agree with is the part about being an unpopular take. I disagree with everything else.

21. Likes:

RedsfaninMT (08-18-2022)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Over the past 20 some odd years, I can remember maybe a handful of players that did this. The one I remember most vividly was Kenji Johjima who decided to go back to Japan with 2 guaranteed years and 16M$ left on his contract with SEA. He ended up signing with a team in Japan that paid him more than the amount he walked away from. Ironically, he then opted out again of his final year in Japan to retire, leaving some of that $ on the table.

Gil Meche and Adam LaRoche also come to mind. Meche said he just didn't enjoy playing hurt anymore and didn't want to rehab with the club and LaRoche was p'd off that CHI told him to keep his kid out of the clubhouse.

A group of players headed by Mike Leake left money on the table in 2020, but that was only due to COVID.

LaRoche, coincidentally, had rotator cuff surgery and finished 6th in MVP voting his next season back.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

23. Likes:

mbgrayson (08-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post

Joey had no kids he’s missing during the season, he recently became a US citizen which makes me think he likes America. He’s a Cincinnati icon and will return and retire on his own terms.

He deserves a swan song league wide. A lot of folks will realize in their advancing years that they were witnessing greatness

25. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-18-2022),Chip R (08-18-2022),KeefeCato (08-18-2022),Larkin Fan (08-17-2022),mbgrayson (08-20-2022),Redsfaithful (08-17-2022),Ron Madden (08-17-2022),WildcatFan (08-17-2022)

Votto will be back. He always excels when the masses prematurely predict his demise.

27. Likes:

Chip R (08-18-2022),KeefeCato (08-18-2022),mbgrayson (08-20-2022),Redsfaithful (08-17-2022),Ron Madden (08-17-2022),westofyou (08-17-2022),WildcatFan (08-17-2022)

Turn Off Ads?