Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Votto having surgery Fri

Re: Votto having surgery Fri

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Ted Williams, Al Kaline, Stan Musial all had good late years.

Why not Votto?

That's why I'm in
    Try and find some players that are still alive.

Or at least post Vietnam war.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by ABern View Post
    Try and find some players that are still alive.

Or at least post Vietnam war.
    Paul Molitor & Fred McGriff?

- - - Updated - - -

Thome, Ortiz, Matt Stairs?

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-29-2022),Revering4Blue (08-29-2022),Ron Madden (08-29-2022)

- - - Updated - - -

Thome, Ortiz, Matt Stairs?
    Darrell Evans
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-29-2022),Revering4Blue (08-29-2022),Ron Madden (08-29-2022)

David ortiz
    Bonds
    Nelson Cruz
    Edgar Martinez

Come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    Not to sound like I'm picking a fight with one guy, but this quote sums up a seemingly invasive theory around here that this surgery automatically makes Votto worse next year. Isn't the point of the surgery to improve his pain/strength issues? Isn't the default position that he'll be BETTER next year and that THIS YEAR was his nadir (a nadir where his numbers are essentially comparable to Kyle Farmer, who is much beloved; must be the price tag, cuz it has nothing to do with production)?

What will he bounce back to? I dunno, nobody does. But one can presume some bounceback, because otherwise, he'd perform just as well or better WITHOUT surgery, and that's not the decision that was made. I'm not an idiot, Votto's not gonna be an All-Star (short of a token nod), and I'm preparing myself mentally for Joey to replace Larkin as my favorite former Reds' player (and unlike Larkin, he won't wear out his post-playing-career welcome by sucking as a TV personality!). But this notion that surgery is the thing that proves Votto declines again next year, instead of the thing that gives him a chance at (albeit a small) rebound?

That, I don't get.
    He turns 39 in a couple weeks and just had major surgery on his shoulder and bicep. I mean, shoulder injuries are notoriously difficult to return from, at least quickly. Cody Bellinger had a major shoulder in his early 20s and he’s a shell of his former self. Votto is an old man at this point, could he fully recover in 8 months from major shoulder surgery? I don’t know, sounds like a tall order to me.

And don’t take me wrong, I love Votto, I’m rooting for him to succeed, but I will personally just be shocked if he’s anything resembling himself next year.

- - - Updated - - -

Ted Williams, Al Kaline, Stan Musial all had good late years.

Why not Votto?

That's why I'm in
    Did any of those guys have major shoulder and bicep surgery at age 39?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

9. Likes:

Chip R (08-29-2022)

I’d love to see Stephenson move full time to 1B

And votto only DHs in his last year. (If he even can do that)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    He turns 39 in a couple weeks and just had major surgery on his shoulder and bicep. I mean, shoulder injuries are notoriously difficult to return from, at least quickly. Cody Bellinger had a major shoulder in his early 20s and he’s a shell of his former self. Votto is an old man at this point, could he fully recover in 8 months from major shoulder surgery? I don’t know, sounds like a tall order to me.

And don’t take me wrong, I love Votto, I’m rooting for him to succeed, but I will personally just be shocked if he’s anything resembling himself next year.

- - - Updated - - -

Well Ted Williams did fight in WWII and was injured in the Korean War, so there's that.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Well Ted Williams did fight in WWII and was injured in the Korean War, so there's that.
    I wasn’t asking that question snarkily, I really want to know if any of them had a serious injury that late in their career. Looks like Williams lost his age 32 season because of injury. Lot different than 39.

- - - Updated - - -

Well gee I think nah… they didn’t

I’d give more back at your assertion but I haven’t seen his binder nor am I an expert in reconstructive surgery.

But I know Joey will try his best and I’m going to suck it up.

As for the money I couldn’t care less it’s not my money and I don’t play the GM game with salaries, the Reds can afford it. I can’t afford worrying about rich guys having to pay a once a generation talent who is loyal to their adopted city more than the bloated asshat owners son is

14. Likes:

BoxingRed (08-29-2022),Fil3232 (08-29-2022),HammerTime (08-30-2022),HokieRed (08-30-2022),Larkin Fan (08-30-2022),LeatherPants (08-30-2022),Revering4Blue (08-29-2022),Ron Madden (08-29-2022),Roy Tucker (08-29-2022),WVRedsFan (08-29-2022)

They call me "chef"

If you want to honor Joey in what might be his last season, set the expectation for him to have a great season and establish even the thought of a normal season for a 39 year old as near blasphemy.

Well gee I think nah… they didn’t

I’d give more back at your assertion but I haven’t seen his binder nor am I an expert in reconstructive surgery.

But I know Joey will try his best and I’m going to suck it up.

As for the money I couldn’t care less it’s not my money and I don’t play the GM game with salaries, the Reds can afford it. I can’t afford worrying about rich guys having to pay a once a generation talent who is loyal to their adopted city more than the bloated asshat owners son is
    Oh I’m not worried about the money either, I thought I made that clear by saying “eff the reds”

Oh I’m not worried about the money either, I thought I made that clear by saying “eff the reds”
    Nah, no eff the Reds for me. F the Reds real estate , vanity investment oligarchs.

But no f the Reds.

I’m a lifer, good and bad

18. Likes:

HokieRed (08-30-2022),mbgrayson (08-30-2022),Roy Tucker (08-30-2022)

Nah, no eff the Reds for me. F the Reds real estate , vanity investment oligarchs.

But no f the Reds.

I’m a lifer, good and bad
    Yeah, I meant the Reds FO. The FO that write the checks.

Yeah, I meant the Reds FO. The FO that write the checks.
    A pathetic group of investment groups swinging their phalluses around like fools in Greek tragedy

21. Likes:

Roy Tucker (08-29-2022)

I’d love to know how you really feel, WOY

23. Likes:

westofyou (08-30-2022)

Turn Off Ads?