Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto having surgery Fri

Re: Votto having surgery Fri

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I have tears on both shoulders, Doc told me 10 years ago if i can manage the pain, and don't intend on entering weight lifting competitions, surgery is not worth it.
    I kind of look at a rotator cuff tear the same as tearing an article of clothing. If you don't sew it, it will get worse with wear. So if you don't get it repaired, and you don't use it for anything excessive(talking about rotator cuff here), you might never need to fix it. But if you do tear it worse, you probably would've been better off getting it "sewn" in the first place.

I just don't see the reason to gamble on not having it get worse. With health insurance, it shouldn't be that expensive and the recovery time is fast and the rehab not that grueling.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    With health insurance, it shouldn't be that expensive and the recovery time is fast and the rehab not that grueling.
    You either have way better insurance than I do, or way more cash than I have lying around to say this

Quote Originally Posted by bm1475 View Post
    You either have way better insurance than I do, or way more cash than I have lying around to say this
    Yes, money can enter the equation if you're struggling enough. I don't believe Joey has that problem.

5. Likes:

bm1475 (08-18-2022)

Yes, money can enter the equation if you're struggling enough. I don't believe Joey has that problem.
    If he does, he has some habits we definitely don't know about!

7. Likes:

foster15 (08-18-2022)

I hear you. That's why I never bothered to get mine fixed. My health insurance is and was terrible. It's only slightly better than having none at all.

I kind of look at a rotator cuff tear the same as tearing an article of clothing. If you don't sew it, it will get worse with wear. So if you don't get it repaired, and you don't use it for anything excessive(talking about rotator cuff here), you might never need to fix it. But if you do tear it worse, you probably would've been better off getting it "sewn" in the first place.

I just don't see the reason to gamble on not having it get worse. With health insurance, it shouldn't be that expensive and the recovery time is fast and the rehab not that grueling.
    "12 months full recovery, 6 months of hell" is what my Doc said. I coach football, so throw the ball around quite a bit. Gets tweeked occasionally, but rest for a couple weeks and I'm fine.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Votto being out the rest of the way will make it really difficult for the Reds to rally and chase down the division tiitle.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

11. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (08-18-2022),Chip R (08-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    "12 months full recovery, 6 months of hell" is what my Doc said. I coach football, so throw the ball around quite a bit. Gets tweeked occasionally, but rest for a couple weeks and I'm fine.
    From my own surgery, actually waited almost a year to get it. I ripped it for sure by walking from carpet to a floor being waxed(pushed through swing open door and stepped while leaving work) and slid down hard on my back using my hands to break my fall. I do believe I had a tear prior as I couldn't bridge a cue stick for more than a couple shots before it started hurting real bad(might have done it water skiing). Anyway, I pushed surgery back for personal reasons for a year. Actually didn't hurt after some cortisone shots and healing but it was still torn and was told NO GOLF until it's repaired.

Anyway, there was no "hell" period. There was pain after surgery that was kept under numbing drug for 3 days while also on pain killers. The pain killers kept me from going through any severe pain and really wasn't hurting much within week after surgery. The PT was a pain in the butt but it always is and after about 3 months of that, I was fine.

I guess there are different degrees of injury that makes it easier or harder. But the reason I think it's best to get it done asap is because that degree of injury can only get worse if you take your chances.

Commendable he's trying to take care of himself instead of playing out the year stubbornly.

Hope to see one more push out of him next year and beyond

14. Likes:

757690 (08-19-2022)

If he does, he has some habits we definitely don't know about!
    Fancy coffees can be expensive.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I tore my rotator cuff back in 1977 playing softball. The available surgery at that time was TJ but meatball surgery. My doctor said "learn to live with it". I played for the rest of the season, but my shoulder had one good throw in it per game. After I would cut loose with a throw, it hurt like hell for 2-3 days so I'd save it for a crucial throw. My SS knew and would come out and shorten the distance I had to throw. After that season, I said the hell with this.

10-15 years later, I could play catch with my kids if I was really careful warming up and not make max 100% throws. It eventually got better, but we're talking many years.
    Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    I tore mine at 18. Diving for a ball. Sounded like a gunshot. I used to be able to throw 88-90. After I struggled to throw a ball from 3b to 1b without bouncing it.
    Never did get it fixed. Now 37 years later a few months ago I started getting sever shoulder pain. Got xray and it confirmed a old torn rotar cuff. Got cortisone shots that ended up being useless. I just live with it now.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not putting words in your mouth. You have been putting him down all season. Yet you think Ross Detwiler is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Same story here, only I tore mine at 19, 27 years ago. Everything else matches up though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pretty common story. I run a higher end (for the lack of a better phrase) softball team and have for over a decade. We actually just won the Metro A division, so yay for me. Every once in a while, someone will say you should grab so and so to play outfield, because they have a "Cannon". My response always is, Maybe, but the "Cannon" is actually a negative. It tells me they will rarely hit a cut, and they'll be complaining about their arm being messed up in the next year or two.

I don't know what it is about guys that have good arms, but they really like to show it off. I have one of the worst arms I've ever seen, so I have never felt that rush. I probably should have honestly been left handed. I do most things left handed, so I'm assuming that's my problem. Or maybe my shoulder is messed up and I don't know it. I'll probably never know.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

17. Likes:

KeefeCato (08-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Votto being out the rest of the way will make it really difficult for the Reds to rally and chase down the division tiitle.
    Read that while drinking my coffee, almost snorted it through my nose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

I think Joey has a great future for himself after baseball.

Name:  CB2CE454-FAC2-4459-A3AD-70B353290FCB.jpeg
Views: 263
Size:  34.4 KB

20. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (08-19-2022),Chip R (08-19-2022),CySeymour (08-19-2022),Revering4Blue (08-20-2022),Roy Tucker (08-19-2022)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I think Joey has a great future for himself after baseball.

Name:  CB2CE454-FAC2-4459-A3AD-70B353290FCB.jpeg
Views: 263
Size:  34.4 KB
    He'll get to marry Marilyn Monroe?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

22. Likes:

SomeCallMeTim (08-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    Pretty common story. I run a higher end (for the lack of a better phrase) softball team and have for over a decade. We actually just won the Metro A division, so yay for me. Every once in a while, someone will say you should grab so and so to play outfield, because they have a "Cannon". My response always is, Maybe, but the "Cannon" is actually a negative. It tells me they will rarely hit a cut, and they'll be complaining about their arm being messed up in the next year or two.

I don't know what it is about guys that have good arms, but they really like to show it off. I have one of the worst arms I've ever seen, so I have never felt that rush. I probably should have honestly been left handed. I do most things left handed, so I'm assuming that's my problem. Or maybe my shoulder is messed up and I don't know it. I'll probably never know.
    Congrats on the win. I played 1b after I tore up my shoulder. We won state class D in 2000. We were all early 30s then. Haven't played in years. But it was a blast. Came in 4th one year at the memorial fire fighters in Columbus. Won several local tournaments.

Turn Off Ads?