Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Reds updated Top 30 Prospects according to MLBPipeline

Re: The Reds updated Top 30 Prospects according to MLBPipeline

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I am happy to have both pitchers in the org.

I think you’re giving up a little early on Abbott, though. He was just drafted last year and has been pretty aggressively promoted.
    Not giving up on Abbott at all.

I don't generally like guys who are short on stuff. So far, beyond his first couple of games as a Dragon, Abbott's stuff hasn't impressed. That tends to auger poorly as pitchers advance.

But those first couple of games indicates he does have the stuff-- it's just not there currently. He'll have to find it before he's successful in AA.

Boyle, meanwhile, is currently successful. He's doing it so bizarely that many posters assume he's due to fail, but others have trod that road before and found dominance on the other side. I'd argue big stuff typically trumps all at every level of the game, including the bigs. And Boyle's stuff is really, really good.

I've used this comparison before in this thread, but it holds true: Tanner Rainey was nearly as wild as Boyle in the minors. He also hadn't had half the success/ dominance. Even as a pure reliever. Yet, he's become a pretty solid back of the bullpen guy in Washington. (Or at least he was before getting hurt in July.) That's the guy Boyle can be (as early as next season).

Abbott will have to learn how to either attack at the corners better or find the stuff he lost as he moved through the season in order to sniff that level of competence.

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-18-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Joe Boyle in Chattanooga

Matt McLain on Locked on Reds explaining the toughest thing that gave him problems in Chattanooga.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Matt McLain on Locked on Reds explaining the toughest thing that gave him problems in Chattanooga.
    I feel you Matt. Humidity ruins everything.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Rece Hinds HR.

Michel Triana home run 10.

Tirana is one of those guys I had high hopes for when they signed him, but time is running out. I give him one more year to try to put things together, but it’s going to be an extremely steep uphill climb to bypass some of the other 1B/3B/DH types in the system.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Matt McLain triple

Rece Hinds home run 9, did it hit the Ferris wheel?

Highlights from last week of some top 30 prospects.
    Conner Phillips highlight.

Christian Roa highlight.

Austin Hendrick hit one into the Mississippi river.

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-30-2022),RedTeamGo! (08-30-2022)

Austin Hendrick = Jaoquin Phoenix from the movie "Signs"

"Swing away, Merrill. Merrill. Swing away"
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 08-30-2022 at 08:57 AM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

IMO, Christian Roa has the best chance to move up significantly between now and the end of the season.

If he can stay healthy, throw strikes, and dominate, I could see putting him in the back-end of my personal top 10 (or maybe top 15).

Who, in your opinion, might be able to move up the most over the last month or so of minor league games?
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 08-30-2022 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    IMO, Christian Roa has the best chance to move up significantly between now and the end of the season.

If he can stay healthy, throw strikes, and dominate, I could see putting him in the back-end of my personal top 10 (or maybe top 15).

Who, in your opinion, might be able to move up the most?
    I’ll go with Mike Siani. Elite speed that translates to elite CF defense and good base stealing ability. Solid bat-to-ball skills backed up by nice OB numbers. If he adds just a little more pop, he is a top 10 guy in my book.

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

Who, in your opinion, might be able to move up the most?
    Some people may have forgotten about Jackson Miller, the 2020 2nd round pick. It's an extremely small sample size, but he has reached base in 5 of his 7 professional plate appearances so far.

Nick Quintana has appeared to improve his plate discipline significantly. I haven't gotten much of a look at him, but the former #47 pick might have some developing tools that we don't realize yet.

It could be interesting to see what Ruben Ibarra does with some adjustments, especially conditioning-wise.

If Carlos Jorge's hit tool continues to develop, combined with his speed, he could become an interesting option at second base.

I think Ricardo Cabrera is going to have a great year.

I also think Dan Vellojin will have a good year in AA.

I like both guys we got from the Mets to start moving up the rankings. Acuna has pitched 23 innings in Daytona and has only allowed 20 base runners while striking out 23 batters to a 2.74 ERA. Hector Rodriguez has been a hitting machine this year dominating rookie ball and going 11 for 33 with a .929 OPS so far in Daytona.

18. Likes:

Kc61 (08-30-2022),Marc D (08-31-2022),Old school 1983 (08-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Austin Hendrick = Jaoquin Phoenix from the movie "Signs"

"Swing away, Merrill. Merrill. Swing away"
    What's with the Quad City pitcher who threw the ball to the backstop over the head of the next hitter after Hendrick's HR? Evidently the umpire gave him some kind of warning.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I like Boyle's potential more than Abbott. I think Abbott's the better pitcher right now though.
    Abbott can miss bats and throws with the wrong arm, but I like Boyle more as well.

Turn Off Ads?