Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Reds updated Top 30 Prospects according to MLBPipeline

Re: The Reds updated Top 30 Prospects according to MLBPipeline

Pipeline Prospect Team of the Week from Sept 5th

3B: Tyler Callihan, Dayton Dragons (High-A)
    Reds No. 19
    .458/.500/.917, 6 G, 11-for-24, 2 HR, 3 2B, 1 3B, 8 RBI, 6 R, 2 BB, 4 K

The breakout of Elly De La Cruz, the acquisition of Noelvi Marte and Edwin Arroyo and the recent first round selections of Matt McLain and Cam Collier have put the focus in the Reds organization on a group of infielders that makes someone in the next tier like Callihan a luxury. The 2019 third-round pick missed just under a year after undergoing Tommy John surgery in June of 2021 and has started to find his stroke as 2022 comes to a close. Callihan's week included his first four-hit, four-RBI game at the High-A level.

https://www.mlb.com/news/prospect-te...ptember-5-2022

2. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (09-09-2022),Old school 1983 (09-09-2022),Rick Palmer (09-20-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Here's Christian Roa since he has a highlight too.

Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Curveball: 55 | Slider: 50 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 45 | Overall: 40

Roa began his college career at Texas A&M as a reliever in 2018, served more as a swingman in 2019 before becoming the Saturday starter in the shortened 2020 season. That gave scouts just four starts to see him in that role, but he showed enough feel for pitching for the Reds to take him in the second round of the 2020 Draft. His time on the mound has been limited, first with a sports hernia after being drafted and then with a right elbow flexor mass strain in 2021.

When he’s healthy, Roa does show off a four-pitch mix that gives him the chance to start long-term. He can get his fastball up to 96 mph, though he’s yet to show how well he can maintain velocity deep into outings. He throws both an 11-to-5 curve and a distinct slider, while his fading and sinking changeup might be his best secondary offering.

In terms of pitching development, the Reds focused on power, so some feel Roa didn’t throw that changeup as much as he should, and it also impacted his command. A commitment to developing his secondary stuff, and a full, healthy season, could help move Roa on his way to becoming a No. 4 or 5 starter in the big leagues.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/reds/christian-roa-685005

5. Likes:

Rick Palmer (09-20-2022)

Very encouraging late season surge from Callahan. Looks bigger, stronger, more athletic. Swing is solid. Never underestimate the importance of having good LH hitters.

The end-of-season top 30 prospects will be fun to try to rank.

Where does, for example, 19-year-old low A SP Jose Acuna rank (if at all)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    The end-of-season top 30 prospects will be fun to try to rank.

Where does, for example, 19-year-old low A SP Jose Acuna rank (if at all)?
    he's gotta be in the top-30 IMO. closer to 30 than 1, but he's in the top-30.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm using baseball reference as my guide for the leaders in minor league stats. While Acuna doesn't qualify (I'm not sure how many more innings he would need to qualify), his stats would put him in the top 12 of all minor league baseball in K/9. He has walked less than all but 5 of those other 12 pitchers on a BB/9 basis and would have the lowest WHIP of the group. To be fair, the stats are inflated by his rookie numbers a bit in both K/9 and BB/9 but his WHIP is better in Low A ball than it was in Rookie ball (about an even number of innings pitched b/w rookie and Low A)

What does that mean in terms of where he should be ranked? I have no clue, but it seems like he is doing very well for a dude that is a full 3 years younger than the low A league average. Seems like the stats would push him more towards 20 than 30 at the least, but I'm certainly no expert. Certainly a nice lottery ticket; would be awesome to see it cash in.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

Austin Hendrick home run 20

Jose Torres home run 13

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-10-2022)

13. Likes:

texasdave (09-13-2022)

Thanks for posting these. I wouldn’t have realized that Hendrick’s homer was against a lefty. From a first round pick, Hendrick is now a sleeper, but I’m a fan.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-11-2022 at 09:50 AM.

15. Likes:

icehole3 (09-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Thanks for posting these. I wouldn’t have realized that Hendrick’s homer was against a lefty. From a first round pick, Hendrick is now a sleeper, but I’m a fan.
    He reminds me a bit of Cincinnati Red Paul O'Neill.

Hendrick has been very gradually, but perceptibly, improving his K rate. Still way too high but there's progress.

18. Likes:

camisadelgolf (09-13-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Hendrick has been very gradually, but perceptibly, improving his K rate. Still way too high but there's progress.
    When he first joined Dayton, he was striking out more than 40% of the time. Since the calendar flipped to August, he has cut that number down to almost 25%. That's significant. To top it off, he was getting more walks, still hitting with power, and stealing a lot of bases, too. I wouldn't quite write him off yet.

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-13-2022),corkedbat (10-10-2022),HokieRed (09-13-2022),icehole3 (09-13-2022),Patrick Bateman (09-13-2022)

Christian Roa Southern League Pitcher of the Week award.

Other winners
    Matt McLain – Southern League Player of the Week – April 11-17
    Sam Benschoter – Florida State League Pitcher of the Week – May 2-8
    Joe Boyle – Midwest League Pitcher of the Week – May 23-29
    Ruben Ibarra – Florida State League Player of the Week – June 6-12
    Leonardo Balcazar – Arizona Complex League Player of the Week – June 27-July3
    Elly De La Cruz – Midwest League Player of the Week – July 4-10
    Robert Dugger – International League Pitcher of the Week – July 25-31
    Spencer Stockton – Southern League Pitcher of the Week – July 25-31
    Yassel Pino – Florida State League Player of the Week – August 15-21
    Ariel Almonte – Arizona Complex League Player of the Week – August 15-21
    Jose Acuna – Florida State League Pitcher of the Week – August 29-September 4
    Tyler Callihan – Midwest League Player of the Week – August 29-September 4
    Last edited by icehole3; 09-13-2022 at 07:16 AM.

22. Likes:

mth123 (09-13-2022),texasdave (09-13-2022)

I mentioned this in a thread somewhere, I saw the dragons once this year, sometime in early July I believe (I think it was about 2 weeks prior to the end of the first half and was the last game they would win before the huge slide that dropped them out of first place and the playoffs). I talked about EDLC and I think Joe Boyle was on the mound as well, but my comments about Hendrick were something to the effect of "if you didn't know anything about any of the players walking into the game, Hendrick would have struck you as a player with an MLB future" He showed off a strong arm, hit a homer the opposite way to left center field, had another big hit, ran the bases well. Hopefully as he bounces up to Chattanooga next season hopefully he continues the progression and proves to be a valuable outfielder starting around 2024 or 25.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

24. Likes:

icehole3 (09-14-2022)

Last edited by icehole3; 09-14-2022 at 06:49 AM.

Turn Off Ads?