Turn Off Ads?
Page 42 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 NBA Off-Season: The Season Begins Now (Or As Soon As KD Says It Does)

Re: 2023 NBA Off-Season: The Season Begins Now (Or As Soon As KD Says It Does)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'd ask you to watch a Lakers game, but why subject yourself to needless pain? Take my word for it-- he's playing center this season.
    I've had the misfortune of watching them play. I'm not a big believer that a forward becomes a center just because he's the tallest guy on the floor.

I do, however, sometimes feel that I need to give that Reaves kid his allowance when I see him. He looks like Jake Guentzel's little brother, which is scary because Guentzel doesn't look old enough to have one of those.
    Last edited by SteelSD; 11-23-2022 at 08:24 PM.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Look at the T-Wolves!

Jumping out to a 27-10 lead in Indianapolis against the scorching-hot Pacers.
    Good win for the Twolves. Pacers are a good team, particularly at home. Turner and Mathurin were very good. First time I have seen Mathurin, and he was impressive. Halliburton got outplayed by Dlo, which was a nice surprise.

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-23-2022)

One of the most effective moves of the off-season was Sacramento signing Malik Monk and the Lakers not finding a way to do so.

Monk has been fantastic for the Kings and is as much responsible for their success as Sabonis, Fox, Heurter or Murray.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

If Boston is going to shoot like that from 3 they are going to be tough to beat....
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

7. Likes:

Chip R (11-25-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    If Boston is going to shoot like that from 3 they are going to be tough to beat....
    Brown looks to have taken that step forward in his development. 15 games into the season, he's one of a few who look to be on whole new levels.

That's largely the reason why Boston's been so good.

9. Likes:

Chip R (11-25-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I've had the misfortune of watching them play. I'm not a big believer that a forward becomes a center just because he's the tallest guy on the floor.
    They announce him as the center in the opening lineups, he plays in the middle of the floor most of the time, he defends the other team's center. He's leading the league in rebounding and is second in the league in blocks behind Brook Lopez-- I mean, I'm not sure what your claim here really is. In every conceivable way, he's been the Lakers' center since opening night. From AD himself, talking about the differences between "then" (a couple of seasons ago) and "now" (this season):

“It was a little different because I was able to roam a lot. I was playing the 4 then, JaVale was playing the 5 and Dwight [Howard] was playing the 5, so guarding the perimeter and knowing I got them guys behind me or weak-side helps, getting blocks on the weak side. Now when I’m at the 5, I’m the one in action – pick-and-rolls, one guarding the post, things like that. We were flying around, we were really good defensively. We’re really good defensively this year as well. I think roles just changed a little bit as far as me as far as positions. In ’19-20 I was a roamer where I can be on whoever the 4 is and roam around and help protect everyone. It’s tough for me to do that when I’m guarding the 5.”
    Notice how he's used against Phoenix here-- he's the guy in the middle of the floor setting the pick, then rolling or popping. That's typically the job of the center in most offenses.

It's the exact same role Joel Embiid plays in Philadelphia and Jokic plays in Denver.

11. Likes:

goreds2 (11-24-2022),Kingspoint (11-25-2022)

And that, folks, is why you can't count on bench players to be starters over time. The Sixers, getting to their Charlotte hotel at 1:30 AM, and with no Maxey, Harden, Embiid, Thybulle, and half the rest of the team banged up, played like zombies after a promising first quarter to drop an eminently winnable game to a really bad Hornets squad. Turnovers- 19 of them, some terrible, others confusing (do officials really know what travelling is?)- reared their ugly head again. Still clearly sleepy, Philly left shots short all night from point-blank range out past the three point line.

P.J. Tucker finally hit a shot, finishing with what seems like a November-high 3 points while setting records for offensive futility. At his current level of production, the Sixers really need to consider bringing him off the bench- starting him only situationally- because he's been a complete black hole offensively. They'll suit up again tomorrow night for the first of two home games against Orlando, the second of which is the first half of a back-to-back (their fourth in about two weeks) against Atlanta, which smells like a schedule loss given how banged up they are right now. I expect the Sixers to go W/L/W/L for a while until they get reasonably healthy, unless Embiid continues to play out of his mind.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-25-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    They announce him as the center in the opening lineups, he plays in the middle of the floor most of the time, he defends the other team's center. He's leading the league in rebounding and is second in the league in blocks behind Brook Lopez-- I mean, I'm not sure what your claim here really is. In every conceivable way, he's been the Lakers' center since opening night. From AD himself, talking about the differences between "then" (a couple of seasons ago) and "now" (this season):
    Anthony Davis is a power forward. But he's very tall. You have a good Thanksgiving.

--Ted Williams

The injury riddled 76ers just now won in Orlando 107 to 99.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

16. Likes:

SteelSD (11-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Sixers are 2nd in the NBA in catch-and-shoot 3-pt percentage. So, they have guys who can shoot throughout the team.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

18. Likes:

goreds2 (11-25-2022)

Lopez had 6 blocks tonite. Got me wondering as to the record-17 by Elmore Smith.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 11-25-2022 at 11:05 PM.

As in Philly, folks messing with Giannis' post game free throw routine in Milwaukee.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  329.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Shake nearly had a triple-double, finishing with 24 points, 9 boards, and a career-high 10 assists. He also had a couple good defensive moments. That being said, his handle still makes me cringe and Orlando attempted to exploit that by double-teaming him out past the top of the key in the second half, with some success. P.J. Tucker had another 0-for game, finishing with 0 points in 25 minutes. After starting, Tucker was on the pine for the final minutes of the game, when Rivers usually rotates his starters back in. Those minutes went to Georges Niang, who clearly worked hard in the offseason on both his defense and driving to the basket. Niang had one end-of-quarter drive against Bol Bol where he hit a spin-o-rama, looking more like an SUV than a mini-bus. De'Anthony Melton was a defensive menace again- finishing with four steals, Tobias ended up with a 23 point/10 board double-double, and Montrezl posted one of his better lines of the season while finishing a team-high +16. Paul Reed couldn't breathe without being called for a foul, picking up his 6th late in the game. But he also had 6 offensive boards, so we'll forgive him. The officials, however...ew.

OMG, is Orlando a tall team- with four of the five starters ranging anywhere between 6'10" and 7'2". I'm just not sure the pieces fit together. And while I know that Jalen Suggs is capable of having good games, he didn't look a lot like an NBA player in his 19 minutes last night, finishing with a Tucker (0 points). Paolo Banchero, however, did look like a real NBA player and is already getting veteran "Star" foul calls on the offensive side of the ball. If he improves from deep, he's going to be a problem. I heart Franz Wagner's game and motor. Bol Bol was also interesting, but I think the starting lineup might be better with either he or Mo Bamba coming off the bench. Regardless, there wasn't any "quit" in that team last night, that's for sure. Played hard until the very end. Philly will see them again tomorrow.

I'm not sure if Embiid made the trip to Orlando, but he missed his third game in a row last night after it was expected that he might be out only two. It may be that the Sixers won't have him on the court until they return home to play the back end of (another) back-to-back against Atlanta.

--Ted Williams

22. Likes:

goreds2 (11-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    As in Philly, folks messing with Giannis' post game free throw routine in Milwaukee.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  329.5 KB
    Awww, it's so cute that Giannis has Thannis and Alex on the court with him for his post-game workout. Is the guy under the basket there to defend the brothers against random feral stepladder attacks? One can't be too safe I suppose...

--Ted Williams

A quick look at the scoring differential leaders:

Phoenix: 7.3
    Boston: 6.9
    Cleveland: 6.7
    New Orleans: 5.6
    Milwaukee: 4.6
    Dallas: 2.7
    Indiana: 2.3
    Philadelphia: 2.3
    Sacramento: 2.0
    Utah: 1.7

Thoughts:

- I would argue this is telling you which teams are the most dangerous better than W-L.
    - Milwaukee's kind of scary given that they haven't had Middleton and they've been banged up.
    - Check out that gap behind them. That's the distance between good and elite.
    - Utah's been dropping like a stone of late. Don't expect them to last in the top 10 much longer.
    - Cleveland and Nola look like they're for real. Dallas is due to go on a run.
    - Way to go Pacers.
    - The Suns and Celtics are going to be tough to beat. I underestimated both of them.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

25. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-26-2022)

Turn Off Ads?