Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 NBA Off-Season: The Season Begins Now (Or As Soon As KD Says It Does)

Re: 2023 NBA Off-Season: The Season Begins Now (Or As Soon As KD Says It Does)

Rumors are that the Lakers are looking to unload Westbrook.

Who says no?

Spurs trade Doug McDermott, Josh Richardson, and Zach Collins for Westbrook.

It works in terms of salary, as the Spurs can absorb the one year of Westbrook. The Lakers end up adding lots of salary for next season. The Spurs get out from under about $35M of bad contracts and can maybe dump Westrbrook later in the year. (And they absolutely have an opening at PG, should they want to do this deal.) LA, meanwhile, gets some versatility up front and depth on the wing. McDermott can play either SF or PF, but is (much) better suited as a 3-and-D shooter. With AD and LeBron, he'd be a serviceable piece in the Joe Harris mold. Richardson's a body, at this point, but he was once able to defend at a fairly elite level. Maybe he can find that magic outside of Miami. Collins is a big who could pair with AD for short minutes to provide very little girth but lots of length. He has some upside, but injuries have robbed him of development time.

None of the players the Spurs would move have much of a role in San Antonio, so they don't lose much. And Westbrook is really questionable at this point, but he's got serious talent.

I think I might be interested, if I'm Popovich The key would be how much interest would Pop have in dealing with Russ when he decides to go Super Russ, refusing to listen to anyone while chasing statistics? Honestly, unsure.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Everyone says no. No one wants him and that contract makes any trade stupid and the Lakers don’t have the picks to buy anyone off.

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-26-2022)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I'm still too scarred by the Shawn Bradley pick to want anyone with that body type near my team.
    Especially considering Penny Hardaway was the obvious correct pick at that point. No hindsight required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

6. Likes:

M2 (08-26-2022)

2023 NBA Off-Season: The Season Begins Now (Or As Soon As KD Says It Does)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Rumors are that the Lakers are looking to unload Westbrook.

Who says no?

Spurs trade Doug McDermott, Josh Richardson, and Zach Collins for Westbrook.

It works in terms of salary, as the Spurs can absorb the one year of Westbrook. The Lakers end up adding lots of salary for next season. The Spurs get out from under about $35M of bad contracts and can maybe dump Westrbrook later in the year. (And they absolutely have an opening at PG, should they want to do this deal.) LA, meanwhile, gets some versatility up front and depth on the wing. McDermott can play either SF or PF, but is (much) better suited as a 3-and-D shooter. With AD and LeBron, he'd be a serviceable piece in the Joe Harris mold. Richardson's a body, at this point, but he was once able to defend at a fairly elite level. Maybe he can find that magic outside of Miami. Collins is a big who could pair with AD for short minutes to provide very little girth but lots of length. He has some upside, but injuries have robbed him of development time.

None of the players the Spurs would move have much of a role in San Antonio, so they don't lose much. And Westbrook is really questionable at this point, but he's got serious talent.

I think I might be interested, if I'm Popovich The key would be how much interest would Pop have in dealing with Russ when he decides to go Super Russ, refusing to listen to anyone while chasing statistics? Honestly, unsure.
    I can’t see why San Antonio would say yes to that proposed deal for a variety of reasons, mainly, your last point about coach-ability.

Unfortunately, given their lack of big men not named Poetl (sp?) with even the slightest bit of potential, the Spurs can’t afford to part with Collins unless another big is coming in return. Of course, Collins hasn’t proven he can stay healthy - neither has McBuckets - but I still wouldn’t give up McBuckets and Richardson for Russ without draft compensation.

Last edited by Revering4Blue; 08-26-2022 at 05:43 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Pat Bev with LeBron might be appointment viewing.

On another note, how far has THT's stock fallen? This time last year, the Lakers could have gotten real value for him. Pelinka, IMO, has struggled in his role as GM.
    Pelinka, IMO, made a grave mistake over-tinkering with the championship team. It’s been basically downhill from there. And it’s not Pelinka’s fault A.D doesn’t commit himself to staying in shape. That’s an issue that cannot be overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Especially considering Penny Hardaway was the obvious correct pick at that point. No hindsight required.

The Shawn Bradley pick. The Barkley trade. The Bryan Colangelo hire.

There are lesser offenses, for sure. But that trifecta is right out of Time Bandits.

"The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

10. Likes:

M2 (08-26-2022)

2023 NBA Off-Season: The Season Begins Now (Or As Soon As KD Says It Does)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    The Shawn Bradley pick. The Barkley trade. The Bryan Colangelo hire.

There are lesser offenses, for sure. But that trifecta is right out of Time Bandits.

True that.

I don’t wish to rub salt in the wound, but I have to place the Moses Malone to Washington trade as another major franchise offense.

That said, given intel at the time, I had no real issue with trading the top pick that year for Roy Hinson. He looked like a rising star as a Cavalier. That, IMO, made at least a modicum of sense. That misstep could have been avoided if they’d have drafted Hinson instead of Rautins in ‘83. And, if the Sixers had done what I wanted them to do with the top pick in ‘86, they’d have been even worse off: Draft Len Bias. We’ll never know but years later, I still believe he was by far the most talented player in that draft.

I’ll quit now, I’ve likely depressed you enough.

Last edited by Revering4Blue; 08-26-2022 at 07:09 PM.

Pelinka, IMO, made a grave mistake over-tinkering with the championship team. It’s been basically downhill from there. And it’s not Pelinka’s fault A.D doesn’t commit himself to staying in shape. That’s an issue that cannot be overlooked.
    Does AD not stay in shape or is he fragile and he bulked up way too much? Seemed like he tried to pack on muscle to bang on the blocks and it went terribly wrong.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-26-2022)

Eyeroll.

AD can't help freak injuries.

Eyeroll.

AD can't help freak injuries.
    Whatever.

He’s still injury-prone. Again, not Pelinka’s fault. But trading away depth in the Russ deal IS Pelinka’s fault, even if LeBron - who is no GM - pushed for it.

16. Likes:

M2 (09-01-2022),SteelSD (08-27-2022)

Aaaaaaand the Cavs might be the best team in the east.

Donovan Mitchell to the Cavs for Sexton, Markkanen, Agbaji, and 3 unprotected 1st round picks
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Whatever.

He’s still injury-prone. Again, not Pelinka’s fault. But trading away depth in the Russ deal IS Pelinka’s fault, even if LeBron - who is no GM - pushed for it.

Part of me hopes when LeBrons playing career is done he buys a team or becomes a GM aka Jordan. Just to see how horrible he is at constructing a team.

Anyone else see LeBron pushing for a trade back to Cleveland with their stacked team or has that ship sailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

19. Likes:

Chip R (09-02-2022)

Knicks really overplayed their hand on this one as they were sitting on 9 1st round picks which Ainge covets...I don't think they thought anyone else could match what they had.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-01-2022)

Well this is an interesting day to be a Jazz fan that also roots for the Cavs.

23. Likes:

M2 (09-01-2022),Revering4Blue (09-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Part of me hopes when LeBrons playing career is done he buys a team or becomes a GM aka Jordan. Just to see how horrible he is at constructing a team.

Anyone else see LeBron pushing for a trade back to Cleveland with their stacked team or has that ship sailed?
    Sailed. He signed a massive extension in LA and Cleveland would never give up the assets to acquire him at that salary.

Turn Off Ads?