Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 NBA Off-Season: The Season Begins Now (Or As Soon As KD Says It Does)

Re: 2023 NBA Off-Season: The Season Begins Now (Or As Soon As KD Says It Does)

Dang. As a Knicks fan this is a huge bummer.

But at least that means I get to root for Toppin as a Knick in another rebuilding year. A lot can change in a season so I’m good with them staying the course for one more year.

Seems like a deal Rose could have topped but refused to push the chips in.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Knicks really overplayed their hand on this one as they were sitting on 9 1st round picks which Ainge covets...I don't think they thought anyone else could match what they had.
    Their hand was played out when they signed Barrett to the extension. It's almost like the Jazz wanted the only player the Knicks wanted to keep, who might not even be worth keeping. What a mess that team has made for itself.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

4. Likes:

Betterread (09-01-2022),Bourgeois Zee (09-01-2022),M2 (09-01-2022),Revering4Blue (09-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Aaaaaaand the Cavs might be the best team in the east.

Donovan Mitchell to the Cavs for Sexton, Markkanen, Agbaji, and 3 unprotected 1st round picks
    Fascinating deal. Cleveland's going to have a small, but explosive backcourt with the twin towers of Mobley and Allen in the frontcourt. The guy who bridges those extremes probably determines how well it all fits together, and I'm not sure the Cavs have the right guy for that. Rarely has a 3-and-D been more needed on a roster. I love that they went for it with the Mitchell trade, but Koby Altman's still got some work to do. Also, they had to make a deal for a Mitchell type this year before Garland's max extension kicks in. There's that weird rule where if you got a guy on a rookie max, you can't trade for another.

I don't like Sexton's game (note how Cleveland was so much better without him). Markkanen's one of those guys who could have a big year or two and get himself overpaid. No idea about Agbaji. The picks (2025, 27 and 29 with swaps in 26 and 28) are the interesting part. If Cleveland has itself a good decade, then it can laugh off the picks. If it doesn't, it becomes a deep tale of woe.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

Betterread (09-02-2022)

I love this deal for Cleveland, and I think Mitchell is largely overrated.

A starting lineup with Garland at PG, Mitchell and LeVert at the wings, Mobley, and Allen in the frontcourt? That's some serious dog potential.

And they can bring Love off the bench as a sixth man for either PF or C, Okoro as a defensive savant, and Osman as an energy guy.

They need a second unit PG, but they've got a whole bunch to cause other teams fits. Especially in the playoffs.

(Jarrett Allen might be the key player in the entire NBA.)

8. Likes:

Betterread (09-02-2022)

Waiting for more facts on these negotiations, but if the Knicks passed on Spyda because they didn’t want to give up Grimes or Barrett to get him, that’s a big opportunity lost.
    I feel sorry for Mitchell. Cleveland is not New York. In the NBA that’s a good thing. In every other way, it’s a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I feel sorry for Mitchell. Cleveland is not New York. In the NBA that’s a good thing. In every other way, it’s a bad thing.
    Mitchell can wait three more years, then cash in on a monster free agent contract to New York after declining his player option in 2025-2026.

On a related but tangential note, NBA superstars have to realize the power they have in one- and two-year deals by now, right?

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

A starting lineup with Garland at PG, Mitchell and LeVert at the wings, Mobley, and Allen in the frontcourt? That's some serious dog potential.

And they can bring Love off the bench as a sixth man for either PF or C, Okoro as a defensive savant, and Osman as an energy guy.

They need a second unit PG, but they've got a whole bunch to cause other teams fits. Especially in the playoffs.

Cavs brought back Rubio. They can do Lavert, Love and Rubio off the bench. I bet Okoro starts as the 3 for now.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-01-2022)

Waiting for more facts on these negotiations, but if the Knicks passed on Spyda because they didn’t want to give up Grimes or Barrett to get him, that’s a big opportunity lost.
    I don't get the Knicks. Arguably they passed on Spyda when they made a bunch of baffling trades around the draft and signed Jalen Brunson. At that point Spyda made no sense on their team.

15. Likes:

Chip R (09-02-2022),Revering4Blue (09-01-2022)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

2023 NBA Off-Season: The Season Begins Now (Or As Soon As KD Says It Does)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Fascinating deal. Cleveland's going to have a small, but explosive backcourt with the twin towers of Mobley and Allen in the frontcourt. The guy who bridges those extremes probably determines how well it all fits together, and I'm not sure the Cavs have the right guy for that. Rarely has a 3-and-D been more needed on a roster. I love that they went for it with the Mitchell trade, but Koby Altman's still got some work to do. Also, they had to make a deal for a Mitchell type this year before Garland's max extension kicks in. There's that weird rule where if you got a guy on a rookie max, you can't trade for another.

I don't like Sexton's game (note how Cleveland was so much better without him). Markkanen's one of those guys who could have a big year or two and get himself overpaid. No idea about Agbaji. The picks (2025, 27 and 29 with swaps in 26 and 28) are the interesting part. If Cleveland has itself a good decade, then it can laugh off the picks. If it doesn't, it becomes a deep tale of woe.
    The commonly discussed comp for Agbaji is/was Desmond Bane. At this point, discounting the draft picks, I believe he is the key to the deal.

We pretty much know what we’re getting from Sexton and Markkanen, though the latter should be better off returning to his natural position with Utah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Cavs brought back Rubio. They can do Lavert, Love and Rubio off the bench. I bet Okoro starts as the 3 for now.
    Didn't realize they had Rubio too. Love, Rubio, Osman, and Okoro is a solid enough bench with length, rebounding, and defense.

Only Love can shoot, though.

I'm not sure if I'd start Okoro-- he reminds me a bit of Jarred Culver and Josh Okegie in Minnesota.

Which is the better EC starting backcourt - Spyda/Garland or Trae/Murray?

They have Rubio
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Mitchell and Garland and I’m not sure it’s particularly close.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't realize they had Rubio too. Love, Rubio, Osman, and Okoro is a solid enough bench with length, rebounding, and defense.

Only Love can shoot, though.

I'm not sure if I'd start Okoro-- he reminds me a bit of Jarred Culver and Josh Okegie in Minnesota.
    You need Okoro to start and guard wings. Lavert will be better off the bench as an instant offense guy who doesn’t have to worry about sharing with mitchell and garland.

Okoro can guard the other teams best player and hopefully never touch the ball on offense until he leans how to shoot corner 3s.

Mitchell and Garland.

I'm not sure I have Trae/ Murray in my top three Eastern Conference backcourt duos.

1. Maxey/ Harden
    2. Mitchell/ Garland
    3. Smart/ Brown
    4. Young/ Murray

Defense matters, and Trae Young is an absolute sieve defensively. Perhaps he gets better with Murray beside him. (Murray is exceptional on that end.)

EDIT: If Middleton is a SG, that's the top spot, with Young/ Murray moving down to 5th.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 09-02-2022 at 11:05 AM.

Mitchell and Garland and I’m not sure it’s particularly close.
    Though Murray is the only one there who can guard anyone. I think the actual answer is Jrue-Middleton with Smart-Brown running 2nd.

You need Okoro to start and guard wings. Lavert will be better off the bench as an instant offense guy who doesn’t have to worry about sharing with mitchell and garland.

Okoro can guard the other teams best player and hopefully never touch the ball on offense until he leans how to shoot corner 3s.
    I agree with that general plan, though I still think what they need is someone who's not on their roster. A Mikal Bridges clone would fit that team like a glove.

23. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-02-2022)

Turn Off Ads?