Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 NBA Off-Season: The Season Begins Now (Or As Soon As KD Says It Does)

Re: 2023 NBA Off-Season: The Season Begins Now (Or As Soon As KD Says It Does)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Though Murray is the only one there who can guard anyone. I think the actual answer is Jrue-Middleton with Smart-Brown running 2nd.

I agree with that general plan, though I still think what they need is someone who's not on their roster. A Mikal Bridges clone would fit that team like a glove.
    I mean Middleton is a forward though. I guess if you want to call him a point forward to call him a back court player than sure, him and Holiday are probably top, but that’s a stretch for me.

I do think the Cavs at some point will add a more 3 and D wing, but probably not to start the season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I mean Middleton is a forward though. I guess if you want to call him a point forward to call him a back court player than sure, him and Holiday are probably top, but that’s a stretch for me.

I do think the Cavs at some point will add a more 3 and D wing, but probably not to start the season.
    He's kind of a swingman, though he officially was playing the #2 when they won the finals (Giannis, Lopez and Tucker in the frontcourt). He guards the #2 a lot because they like his length on switches and harassing shots/ball movement at the top of the arc.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-02-2022)

Looks like the Kentucky Knicks are looking at SGA after missing out on Mitchell.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Looks like the Kentucky Knicks are looking at SGA after missing out on Mitchell.
    If the Knicks wouldn't meet the demands for Mitchell, why would they meet the demands for SGA?

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    If the Knicks wouldn't meet the demands for Mitchell, why would they meet the demands for SGA?
    SGA makes more sense on their roster, IMO. Gives them length on the wing.

SGA makes more sense on their roster, IMO. Gives them length on the wing.
    Sure. Mitchell, at 6'1" is tiny for a wing.

That said, I'm not sure what to think of SGA. He's gotten absolutely no help so his numbers should be taken with a grain of salt. But he's not taken that next leap to superstar that I thought possible when he played with Chris Paul. Maybe that happens with better players around him. Unfortunately, OKC has decided they won't surround him with good players until at least 2023.

What that team is doing is a travesty for his career.

Ditto Houston with John Wall the past two seasons and any team who tells players to just stay at home because they're too good to lose games.

Sure. Mitchell, at 6'1" is tiny for a wing.

That said, I'm not sure what to think of SGA. He's gotten absolutely no help so his numbers should be taken with a grain of salt. But he's not taken that next leap to superstar that I thought possible when he played with Chris Paul. Maybe that happens with better players around him. Unfortunately, OKC has decided they won't surround him with good players until at least 2023.

What that team is doing is a travesty for his career.

Ditto Houston with John Wall the past two seasons and any team who tells players to just stay at home because they're too good to lose games.
    The mere fact that SGA might be available tells us everything we need to know about OKC. In a sane universe they're building around SGA and Giddey. Those two could help unlock all of those young forwards, but the team is addicted to punting.

Danilo Gallinari tore his ACL playing for the Italian National team. NBA Eastern Conference teams are hoping that he'll be eligible for a late season return, so they'll have at least one player on the Celtics they can relentlessly attack while he's playing defense.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

12. Likes:

M2 (09-03-2022),Revering4Blue (09-04-2022)

Are the Celtics everyone's favorites for the East at this point?

Is Golden State or Phoenix the favorite in the West?

Are we talking regular season or overall? If it's regular season, I can definitely see the Celtics having the bit between their teeth from the jump. Though Milwaukee might want to reassert its dominance. And don't sleep on Philly. That team might be eyeing a "shut everybody up" season.

I question whether Phoenix can repeat last season. It's got to have some doubts creeping in and Chris Paul can't do that forever. Memphis might be the sleeper out there. If Ja can deliver a full season, watch out. Denver's another one that's got high upside with Murray and Porter back in the fold. And the Clippers could be ridiculous, or they could be just a little bit too old.

Playoffs is a different animal and a lot is going to happen between here and there. My initial thought is Golden State until someone can beat them.

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-04-2022)

Are we talking regular season or overall? If it's regular season, I can definitely see the Celtics having the bit between their teeth from the jump. Though Milwaukee might want to reassert its dominance. And don't sleep on Philly. That team might be eyeing a "shut everybody up" season.

I question whether Phoenix can repeat last season. It's got to have some doubts creeping in and Chris Paul can't do that forever. Memphis might be the sleeper out there. If Ja can deliver a full season, watch out. Denver's another one that's got high upside with Murray and Porter back in the fold. And the Clippers could be ridiculous, or they could be just a little bit too old.

Playoffs is a different animal and a lot is going to happen between here and there. My initial thought is Golden State until someone can beat them.
    I think Jalen Brown is probably the key to the Celts season. Given the trade rumors swirling, I have a feeling he's going to be on some kind of mission, but have no idea what direction that will take them.

And I can guarantee that if Harden produces after giving up 15M in the offseason, there's going to be hell to pay for the rest of that squad if they don't perform up to expectations.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

EC - Boston and Milwaukee
    WC - Golden State and LAClips (a well-rested Kawhi is a bad thing for the rest of the league).

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I think Jalen Brown is probably the key to the Celts season. Given the trade rumors swirling, I have a feeling he's going to be on some kind of mission, but have no idea what direction that will take them.

And I can guarantee that if Harden produces after giving up 15M in the offseason, there's going to be hell to pay for the rest of that squad if they don't perform up to expectations.
    Yep, a lot of this season is going to revolve around who's maniacal right now. Brown seems like that's a constant with him. Wouldn't surprise me if he's trying to dribble music festival crowds in order to sharpen his handle. I'd project Brown to have his best season. For the Sixers, Toby is the guy who needs to rise from the ashes of last season. He needs to be as angry at himself as Joel Embiid should be angry at him.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    LAClips (a well-rested Kawhi is a bad thing for the rest of the league).
    Oohh, good call.

A closing five of John Wall, Norman Powell, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, and Robert Covington, with Ivica Zubac, Reggie Jackson, Marcus Morris, Luke Kennard, and Terence Mann as depth?

That team is pretty well complete, as is.

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post

So you’re not thinking at all about Tatum shooing 37% in the finals? When you needed your star to do starry things, he was kind of checked up by Andrew Wiggins. When his athleticism was matched (or exceeeded?) he didn’t have enough tricks and footwork to consistently overcome his opponent. Now this is relative. He still can volume score, given enough shots.
    Now, maybe Andrew Wiggins finally used his athletic ability to positive effect. Maybe Tatum was tired. I really don’t know. But I know if I was a Celtics fan, I would be thinking about it.
    Yep, a lot of this season is going to revolve around who's maniacal right now. Brown seems like that's a constant with him. Wouldn't surprise me if he's trying to dribble music festival crowds in order to sharpen his handle. I'd project Brown to have his best season. For the Sixers, Toby is the guy who needs to rise from the ashes of last season. He needs to be as angry at himself as Joel Embiid should be angry at him.

Turn Off Ads?