Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 69 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 NBA Off-Season: The Season Begins Now (Or As Soon As KD Says It Does)

Re: 2023 NBA Off-Season: The Season Begins Now (Or As Soon As KD Says It Does)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    So you’re not thinking at all about Tatum shooing 37% in the finals? When you needed your star to do starry things, he was kind of checked up by Andrew Wiggins. When his athleticism was matched (or exceeeded?) he didn’t have enough tricks and footwork to consistently overcome his opponent. Now this is relative. He still can volume score, given enough shots.
    Now, maybe Andrew Wiggins finally used his athletic ability to positive effect. Maybe Tatum was tired. I really don’t know. But I know if I was a Celtics fan, I would be thinking about it.
    I'm not a Celtics fan (can't stress that enough). So there's literally nothing that could make me worry about them. I do think they're a good team (fun to watch) and I generally subscribe to the notion that a 1st team All-NBA guy probably won't be a problem. If they make it back to the finals (far from a given), then we can see if they learned anything from their previous experience.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    So you’re not thinking at all about Tatum shooing 37% in the finals? When you needed your star to do starry things, he was kind of checked up by Andrew Wiggins. When his athleticism was matched (or exceeeded?) he didn’t have enough tricks and footwork to consistently overcome his opponent. Now this is relative. He still can volume score, given enough shots.
    Now, maybe Andrew Wiggins finally used his athletic ability to positive effect. Maybe Tatum was tired. I really don’t know. But I know if I was a Celtics fan, I would be thinking about it.
    Like M2, I don't really worry about how the Celtics do. In fact, as a Sixers fan, I'd prefer it if their team imploded or was sucked up by a random giant alien space vacuum, never to be seen from again. Probing optional, but encouraged.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Like M2, I don't really worry about how the Celtics do. In fact, as a Sixers fan, I'd prefer it if their team imploded or was sucked up by a random giant alien space vacuum, never to be seen from again. Probing optional, but encouraged.
    I like when both teams are good and can hate each other properly.

5. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-05-2022),goreds2 (09-12-2022),Revering4Blue (09-06-2022),SteelSD (09-05-2022)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The mere fact that SGA might be available tells us everything we need to know about OKC. In a sane universe they're building around SGA and Giddey. Those two could help unlock all of those young forwards, but the team is addicted to punting.
    I’ll believe SGA is actually available if/when he’s dealt. They’re at the cycling of assets stage now. Even though they dealt future firsts to land the forward this past draft, that’s still cycling assets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

I like when both teams are good and can hate each other properly.
    I like it when the Knicks are thrown into the mix.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Ainge gets to handpick whoever he want to have from the next five years worth of NBA talent coming into the league. He'll be able to add three top-5 lottery picks at the very least. The future has never looked brighter for the Utah Jazz or any team in the NBA.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Ainge gets to handpick whoever he want to have from the next five years worth of NBA talent coming into the league. He'll be able to add three top-5 lottery picks at the very least. The future has never looked brighter for the Utah Jazz or any team in the NBA.
    I'm not really sure those Minnesota and Cleveland picks are going to allow him to operate in the upper lottery. I would assume the bulk of those picks are of the non-lottery variety and I don't see any teams getting wacky over those in recent years. This isn't like when he was sitting on those Nets picks. He's mostly going to have to depend on how bad his team is and on appeasing the ping-pong ball gods.

10. Likes:

Betterread (09-06-2022),Revering4Blue (09-06-2022)

Motrezl Harrell signs a 2yr $5.2 million contract with Philly. Is he still high from the weed he was found in his possession in Kentucky, where he was prosecuted and pled to a misdemeanor AND where he played some great basketball? That is a great deal for the sixers. He averaged 13 ppg in just an avg of 23 minutespg with a PER of 23.26.

12. Likes:

goreds2 (09-12-2022),M2 (09-06-2022)

Well, first, I hadn't paid attention to Harrell in the offseason, so this one is out of the blue. Old school offensive player, undersized for a backup Center, but has (reportedly) a 7'4" wingspan and active as heck. May help with the Sixers' issues giving up offensive rebounds, and will do the gritty work on the defensive glass too. Plays with a chip on his shoulder, and actively agitates, but to the point of stupid sometimes. Defensively, things can get rough for him. Rumor has it that Harden helped drive the signing, as he keeps pushing to get the Houston band back together. Did not know that he and Jordan Clarkson are the only two guys to score 5,000+ points off the bench over the last five seasons. Unsure what this means for Paul Reed, and the Sixers don't have a roster spot right now, so someone's gotta go. Nice to see actual NBA players manning an actual NBA bench though (Niang, Harrell, House, Melton).
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I love Trez. He's got crazy amounts of bounce in his game, like a human superball. If they pair him with a guard who can run pick-and-roll, he will feast. Should make a fantastic change of pace from Embiid. You've got to go from having Godzilla pound on you to suddenly covering the most hyperactive guy in the league. I like what Morey's doing in filling out that team.

15. Likes:

goreds2 (09-12-2022)

I'm not really sure those Minnesota and Cleveland picks are going to allow him to operate in the upper lottery. I would assume the bulk of those picks are of the non-lottery variety and I don't see any teams getting wacky over those in recent years. This isn't like when he was sitting on those Nets picks. He's mostly going to have to depend on how bad his team is and on appeasing the ping-pong ball gods.
    I was assuming the 2023 UTA pick as one of the three top-5 picks. I'm sure Ainge isn't done and I expect move moves to try to get more lottery options.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I was assuming the 2023 UTA pick as one of the three top-5 picks. I'm sure Ainge isn't done and I expect move moves to try to get more lottery options.
    He'll get his picks, but Utah's not the only bad team and the lottery is more capricious these days (you've got to be THE worst team in the league just to guarantee top five). I just don't think he's sitting on paydirt with his other picks. There's a decent chance he'll end up with some Lakers picks plus Russ. He might play what he's got into a winning hand, but I don't think he's necessarily holding one at the moment.
    Last edited by M2; 09-06-2022 at 10:06 PM.

He'll get his picks, but Utah's not the only bad team and the lottery is more capricious these days. I just don't think he's sitting on paydirt with his other picks. There's a decent chance he'll end up with some Lakers picks plus Russ. He might play what he's got into a winning hand, but I don't think he's necessarily holding one at the moment.
    I agree totally with that.

There are strong rumors out there that the Celtics are going to sign Carmelo Anthony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    There are strong rumors out there that the Celtics are going to sign Carmelo Anthony.
    That's a bad move.

Turn Off Ads?