Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 69 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 NBA Off-Season: The Season Begins Now (Or As Soon As KD Says It Does)

Re: 2023 NBA Off-Season: The Season Begins Now (Or As Soon As KD Says It Does)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    That book sounds like it’s about Pat Riley and how he mythologized the Knicks to add to his own prestige. Riley grew up in Schenectady NY, which is pretty far from the South Bronx in just about every way. General Electric’s national engineering HQ has been there since 1892 so it’s a pretty affluent area. Not exactly the way Riley depicts his early life.
    There is a lot mythologizing of various aspects of NYC going on all the time. Just like there is a lot of mythologizing of the Midwest. Be careful about picking and choosing which myths are relevant or not.
    My former college roommate lives over there. Schenectady proper is a little hardscrabble in spots. The burbs around it, like Rexford (where he moved from Schenectady), are tony, but there's a decided working class element in Schenectady and a good-sized minority population. No idea about Riles' background, though the Albany region is definitely in the NYC sports market.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

westofyou (12-09-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I don't care what happens in OT. If Glenn Rivers has a job tomorrow, I'll be livid.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

5. Likes:

goreds2 (12-09-2022)

Crazy, Sixers had a zillion point lead with two minutes remaining in regulation. I know no lead is safe in the NBA but…
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Crazy, Sixers had a zillion point lead with two minutes remaining in regulation. I know no lead is safe in the NBA but…
    10 turnovers in the fourth quarter. And it continues.

Philly now has a 7-point lead with two minutes left in OT. So basically, the Lakers have them right where they want them.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

8. Likes:

goreds2 (12-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post

Philly now has a 7-point lead with two minutes left in OT. So basically, the Lakers have them right where they want them.
    76ers win. As I always say, I would rather win ugly than lose pretty. ( agree about the coach )
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post

Looks like they were playing a game of good quarter, bad quarter. Pendulum swung back their way in OT.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    76ers win. As I always say, I would rather win ugly than lose pretty. ( agree about the coach )
    I'm extra grumpy because the Penguins beat Buffalo in OT, but Jake Guentzel was the victim of one of the worst cross-checks to the face I've ever seen. The final 30-odd seconds of the Sixers in regulation felt like I got one in mine. What a bunch of bumbling stupidity that was.

--Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Looks like they were playing a game of good quarter, bad quarter. Pendulum swung back their way in OT.
    Well, that's sort of the way it goes when your coach absolutely refuses to give Embiid even a few minutes of rest when AD had to sit because of foul trouble and the Lakers had to go small. I get what Rivers was trying to do- run things up with Davis on the bench. But that led to Davis checking back in when Embiid had to sit after, oh...I dunno...playing the entire first quarter, for example. Had Rivers given Embiid intermittent rest, he could have countered by subbing Embiid back in. It was clear that Davis couldn't guard Embiid, and wasn't even allowed to for fear of AD fouling out.

--Ted Williams

13. Likes:

goreds2 (12-09-2022),M2 (12-09-2022),Revering4Blue (12-09-2022)

Pelicans just had a statement win over the Suns. They now have a better record than the Suns and Zion “controversially” dunked at the end of the game, to the “ire” of many Suns. Zion is playing very tough, efficient ball right now.

15. Likes:

M2 (12-10-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Pelicans just had a statement win over the Suns. They now have a better record than the Suns and Zion “controversially” dunked at the end of the game, to the “ire” of many Suns. Zion is playing very tough, efficient ball right now.
    He did more than just dunk, he did a 360 windmill like it was All Star weekend.

The best part? The new approach to NBA scheduling has them playing again tomorrow.

17. Likes:

goreds2 (12-10-2022)

I noticed PJ Tucker went off for a season-high 3 points.

19. Likes:

goreds2 (12-10-2022),M2 (12-10-2022),SteelSD (12-10-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I noticed PJ Tucker went off for a season-high 3 points.
    Probably the most disappointing thing (and there are a few) about Tucker is his reluctance to shoot corner threes, and complete refusal to shoot open threes from anywhere else. The corner, at least, was supposed to be his "office", but he won't hoist them up when faced with even a poor closeout attempt. And after seeing him consistently, I get why. His release is terribly slow and he can't shoot over anyone, which explains him taking only 1.6 shots from distance per game. He's making them at a 39% clip, but the guy is basically putting up the same offensive numbers in 29 minutes per game that he did in 19 minutes/game with Milwaukee two years ago, when he came off the bench 19 of his 20 games with the Bucks.

The Sixers don't need him to average double-digit points, but at least be someone who can punish opponents for doubling Embiid. Yet, excepting very specific matchups, he's actually been causing the Sixers to be more reliant on Embiid than ever.

--Ted Williams

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-11-2022)

Nice to see Kemba Walker in action last night 8 pts in 20 mins...that's probably the limit for his mins with his knee issues.

Jaden Hardy continues to impress with 15 mins off the bench...Mavs got a steal when he fell in the draft...

Unfortunately for the Mavs...they can't play D...they don't rebound well, and they don't shoot FT at a high percentage. Without Doncic they would win maybe 15 games...We now know why he has such a high usage rate.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Why isn't Christian Wood playing more minutes?

24. Likes:

M2 (12-11-2022),Revering4Blue (12-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Walt Frazier, Dean Meminger, Bill Bradley, Willis Reed Knicks are as good as it gets.

That doesn't go away just because so many weren't alive then or are dead now to witness them in person and actually see their games played, especially in person. It was basketball as good as it gets. Walt Frazier is the greatest human being to ever have anything to do with basketball when looked at it from both sides of the court, the playing and the promoting. That lasts forever.

I saw them all play in person many times and got every one of their autographs. Back then, my favorite teams in order (professional basketball only) were the Blazers, the Lakers and then the Knicks (followed by the Bulls). I didn't start hating the Lakers until David Stern became Commissioner and began the preferential treatment and began the, to this day, fixing of games and outcomes in order to have the teams he wanted in the Championship Games. Before Stern, everything was on an even plane. All outcomes had an equal chance.
    I thought those Knick teams had Dave DeBusschere and Dick Barnett in their lineups.

You guys know a lot about the NBA. Interesting thread.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?