Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022-23 Euro Soccer Thread

Re: 2022-23 Euro Soccer Thread

If you have ESPN+, they play a fair number of Wrexham games (pays to have celebrity owners). They're worth the watch if for nothing else the long throws from their center back Ben Tozer. He's throwing lasers into the box. It's pretty amazing how many chances they create off of his throws.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Arsenal with another dramatic step toward an EPL title with a late winner against ManU. They've got bottle. Right now the Gunners are five points clear with a game in hand, though there's still half a season to play. We probably should assume Man City will have a furious finish. Yet they look like the only club with the ability to give Arsenal a race.

Here's Rodrygo doing Brazilian things - https://twitter.com/totalcristiano/s...51994780598272.

5. Likes:

Betterread (01-26-2023)

Arsenal refusing to make the Premier League race boring.

7. Likes:

M2 (02-11-2023)

Excellent header by Emi Martinez to help arsenals title chance!

9. Likes:

M2 (02-18-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Excellent header by Emi Martinez to help arsenals title chance!
    Every time something bad happens to Martinez it is both earned and funny.

11. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (02-18-2023)

Madrid-Liverpool, here we go.

So, some thoughts on the Madrid-Liverpool game:

- There's still 90 more minutes to play, and Carlo Ancelotti will surely be reminding his team of how fragile leads can be. Liverpool may have its entire next season on the line when they play the return fixture. Even with a 3-goal lead, Madrid will need to match that intensity.

- I think there's a lesson in pressing here. It's great for 10-15 minutes, but once the other team starts to crack you, it can get ugly.

- Darwin Nunez's goal was beautiful and he played a great game (assured first touch, tracked back, played nice combinations, pressed like a demon). If Liverpool doesn't make it back to the CL next season, it's going to need to cut its wage bill and many players will be looking to leave for CL teams. In that scenario Nunez should be at the top of some shopping lists.

- Madrid might just be Liverpool's kryptonite team. This is the 4th time in six years they've collided in the Champions League and it continues to be the same result.

- Part of that kryptonite is a lopsided midfield advantage. Madrid had Fabinho and discarded him. Bajcetic is a baby. Jordan Henderson is...well...an English midfielder (a really good one, but I would argue not world class). Meanwhile, Luka Modric is a living legend, Eduardo Camavinga's experience is starting to catch up to his otherworldly talent and Fede Valverde is one of the most versatile players on the planet. Liverpool needs a better engine.

- Can't say enough good things about Nacho. He started at right back on Saturday, played center back in the Club World Cup and then came in to replace David Alaba at left back today. And once he came in, Mo Salah disappeared. Nacho finished the night wearing the captain's armband and it's not a coincidence he's been part of 21 titles/cups during his career. Somebody's got to do the hard, underappreciated work, and that guy always answers the call.

- Vini is a handful. First goal on a perfect shot through traffic. Second goal on a press of the keeper. A cool-as-you-like assist to Benz for the final goal. Constantly providing an outlet on the left (critical for breaking the press).

- I don't know how far Madrid is going to progress in this tournament (might not be past the next game), but what's it like to be Madrid fan? It's like being a Big Red Machine fan and it never ends. You get games like today on a regular basis. They reward your belief, which is all you can ask as a fan.
    Last edited by M2; 02-22-2023 at 09:29 AM.

Question on Napoli - they look to be the best Italian club since the 2017 Juve side, but does anyone here think they can make a deep run in the Champions League? Also, can they fend off poachers and keep their team together for a multi-year run?
    Last edited by M2; 02-22-2023 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Why anyone would want to fight a 6'4' world class athlete from Serbia, I have absolutely no idea.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-28-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Why anyone would want to fight a 6'4' world class athlete from Serbia, I have absolutely no idea.
    Let go of my Eggo

Nice fanny pack

19. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (02-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I'm just guessing but I would think alcohol and/or peer pressure. He and his mates were watching and probably began heckling the keeper. After a few more he and/or his mates got the idea to go on the pitch and fight the keeper. He either was a volunteer or he lost the bet. His mates probably bailed him out and gave him some money. I can't imagine doing that sober.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Liverpool and Real Madrid are so much better than MLS soccer. It's like watching MLB vs College Baseball.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Let go of my Eggo

Nice fanny pack
    That is so hilarious. The courage of a *****cat.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?