Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2022-23 Euro Soccer Thread

Re: 2022-23 Euro Soccer Thread

Chelsea rallied to knock out Borussia Dortmund. Probably saves Graham Potter's job for the time being.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Chelsea rallied to knock out Borussia Dortmund. Probably saves Graham Potter's job for the time being.
    Didn’t love Havertz got a retake. He did that stop at the ball thing before he kicked and a ton of Chelsea guys were in the box too.

4. Likes:

M2 (03-07-2023)

PSG scored 0 goals in 180 mins and goes out early again

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Smokey View Post
    PSG scored 0 goals in 180 mins and goes out early again
    Epic team.

Don't sleep on this Barcelona referee payoff scandal - https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/new...ca-presidents/. Charges have officially been filed and, if proven, could lead to a stripping of titles that would make Lance Armstrong blush.

Spanish prosecutors have filed corruption charges against Barcelona and former club presidents Sandro Rosell and Josep Maria Bartomeu for allegedly making payments to a company owned by Jose Maria Enriquez Negreira, an ex-vice-president of the referee committee in Spain who worked under the Spanish football association between 1993 and 2018. Former club executives Oscar Grau and Albert Soler have also been listed in the case.

On Friday, the public prosecutor's office investigating the case revealed that Negreira received approximately over €7 million in payments from the club between 2001 and 2018 to influence match results. Their claim is that under a secret agreement and in exchange for payments, Negreira favored Barcelona in both decisions taken by referees in games played by the club as well as in competition results. If this is proven to be true, it could have a wide sweeping impact across the club and beyond.

"FC Barcelona reached and maintained a strictly confidential verbal agreement with Enriquez Negreira so that, in his capacity as vice-president of the CTA (Spanish football's referee's committee) and in exchange for money, he would carry out actions tending to favour Barcelona in the decision making of referees in the matches played by the club," read the documents from the prosecutor's office.

Give Arsenal their Champions League. Now

Man would love to see Osimhen at Arsenal. What a player

Champions League draw is out, and I feel like it might have been operated by Italians.

In one half of the bracket, Napoli plays Milan with the winner playing whoever comes through the Inter vs. Benfica tie. That's a 75% chance of an Italian team in the final, though my expectation is Napoli and Benfica knock out the Milan sides and meet in the semis.

Meanwhile on the other side of the draw:

Defending champion Real Madrid plays 2021 champion Chelsea (third time in three years), and the winner of that clash get to play to victor 2020 champion Bayern Munich vs. top-rated club of the last half decade Man City. Wow is that stacked. Full group of death. All of the superheavyweights on one side, all of the cruiserweights on the other.

In the Europa League quarters, 2020 finalists Sevilla and ManU meet. The winner of that gets the winner of Juventus vs. Sporting (fresh off of eliminating Arsenal, who should have played Matt Turner). On the other side, last year's Europa Conference League finalists Roma and Feyenoord will take on the winner of Bayer Leverkusen and Union Saint-Gilloise (they're Swiss).
    Last edited by M2; 03-17-2023 at 03:54 PM.

That midfield goal the Sporting guy made was just filthy.

Europa would have been nice, but I want to win the league and this clears the road. Assuming Arsenal would have had the Sporting spot the road was Juve then probably Man U…which isn’t easy.

12. Likes:

Big Red Smokey (03-25-2023),M2 (03-17-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    That midfield goal the Sporting guy made was just filthy.

Europa would have been nice, but I want to win the league and this clears the road. Assuming Arsenal would have had the Sporting spot the road was Juve then probably Man U…which isn’t easy.
    Oh yeah, league above all for Arsenal. Still should have played Turner. He needs to leave that team (Leicester would be perfect).

Had Arsenal advanced, Juve might be easy pickings. They're having a rough season. And until some eliminates Sevilla (having a miserable season so far) in the Europa League, then I just assume they're going to win the Europa League (like they've done 6 times in the past 17 years and 4 times in the past 9).

14. Likes:

Big Red Smokey (03-25-2023)

Two bizarre managerial firings recently. Julian Nagelsmann had Bayern Munich comfortably into the final 8 of the Champions League and they gave him the boot. He's being replaced by Thomas Tuchel. And in Tottenham, Antonio Conte's head exploded watching his team engineer another 5th place finish, so he made the mistake of telling the truth that no one's accountable at that club and now he's out.

Didn't post when Chelsea sacked Graham Potter. He was a terrible hire. Never coached a club near that big. Had no clue how to handle star players, let alone the assembly of high-priced talent current on the Chelsea books. They tied Liverpool today, a disastrous result for both teams. Chelsea's only path into European football next season is to win the Champions League. If they don't, they're going to hold a fire sale that can be seen from space. So I don't know how many quality managers are going to line up for that. It's going to be horrific.

The executioner's blade just fell on the neck of Chelsea Football Club. Madrid knocked them out of the Champions League with a 4-0 aggregate. Meanwhile Chelsea is 17 points out of the Champions League slots in the EPL with only 7 games remaining. They're not going back to European football and the massive payday that comes with it, which means the club will need to make drastic reductions to its £228M wage bill. The fire sale is coming. Any thoughts on who's staying and who's going?

Newcastle beat Tottenham 6-1 to put itself firmly in the driver's seat for a Champions League slot (up 6 points with 7 to play). And Antonio Conte was 100% right about the culture at Spurs.

Sorry about the loss today, M2.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?