Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: 2022-23 Euro Soccer Thread

Re: 2022-23 Euro Soccer Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Ok. Thank you. Makes Dortmund look even worse. Just tough to enjoy European soccer and how things are run. Even baseball’s financial structure is not as bad with no chance at all.
    For the resources Dortmund has they have been pretty elite and they might be the best development club in Europe. Bayern is a bit of a machine.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I detest BD even more. Selling Haaland for nothing. Can’t be bothered to win their own league that Bayern was giving them.

Also how great is the EPL that Haaland can turn it into a joke like he did. Haaland was not this good in Germany. Or did I miss it?
    There was some clause in the contract when Dortmund bought Haaland from RB Salzburg that kept his transfer fee low.

Haaland's scoring so much at City because he's got a machine around him. Also, he was a goal-a-game player at Dortmund (86 in 89 games), so 52 in 51 games with City isn't exactly anything new for him. He missed some time last season, which is probably what's throwing off your perception. Though no argument from me that the EPL is way overrated.

Anyway, if you're furious at Dortmund, you can take solace in them losing the league in heartbreaking fashion on the last day of the season. Also, their best player is going to Madrid next season.
    Last edited by M2; 05-29-2023 at 05:59 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Ok. Thank you. Makes Dortmund look even worse. Just tough to enjoy European soccer and how things are run. Even baseball’s financial structure is not as bad with no chance at all.
    You are missing the point, and by a wide margin. The European model is not, never has been and never will be about creating the false sense of equality. The leagues aren't closed systems. The big clubs do dominate the leagues. There are more things they should do to open that up. Yet the point in those leagues is every club can dream of being able to play against those giant clubs, and maybe even beat them on a given night (and when that happens, those nights live on in legend).

Check out the reaction to Luton Town getting promoted to the EPL - https://twitter.com/LutonTown/status...89235015327749. There is NOTHING like that in American sport. Nothing close to that communal level of joy. Even when teams win titles here it's less than that. Luton is a club that was in danger of dropping into the semi-pro ranks a decade ago. Now they're going to cross swords with some of the top clubs in the world. Are they going to win the EPL? Almost assuredly not. But their fans just got the golden ticket. It's like if the Dayton Dragons made it to MLB.

Now, if you want the America model of brand names playing each other, we have lots of leagues in different sports (including soccer) that give you that.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    There was some clause in the contract when Dortmund bought Haaland from RB Salzburg that kept his transfer fee low.

Haaland's scoring so much at City because he's got a machine around him. Also, he was a goal-a-game player at Dortmund (86 in 89 games), so 52 in 51 games with City isn't exactly anything new for him. He missed some time last season, which is probably what's throwing off your perception. Though no argument from me that the EPL is way overrated.

Anyway, if you're furious at Dortmund, you can take solace in them losing the league in heartbreaking fashion on the last day of the season. Also, their best player is going to Madrid next season.

No I wanted them to win. Bayern is the same disease that is Barcelona. RM. Benfica and Porto in Portugal. What PSG is becoming. What Juventus had been until finally caught again with their BS.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    You are missing the point, and by a wide margin. The European model is not, never has been and never will be about creating the false sense of equality. The leagues aren't closed systems. The big clubs do dominate the leagues. There are more things they should do to open that up. Yet the point in those leagues is every club can dream of being able to play against those giant clubs, and maybe even beat them on a given night (and when that happens, those nights live on in legend).

Check out the reaction to Luton Town getting promoted to the EPL - https://twitter.com/LutonTown/status...89235015327749. There is NOTHING like that in American sport. Nothing close to that communal level of joy. Even when teams win titles here it's less than that. Luton is a club that was in danger of dropping into the semi-pro ranks a decade ago. Now they're going to cross swords with some of the top clubs in the world. Are they going to win the EPL? Almost assuredly not. But their fans just got the golden ticket. It's like if the Dayton Dragons made it to MLB.

Now, if you want the America model of brand names playing each other, we have lots of leagues in different sports (including soccer) that give you that.
    No I get it. I’m just DQ fighting against the windmills and raging against the machine. I was born in Uruguay so I know how that whole system works. They have it in that league too. That’s why I rooted for the only Anglo related team they have there. Liverpool.

It should be better than that though. You should not have to end up being a feeder team. Some teams are able to rise above that.

Atletico Madrid used to be that feeder team too. Sevilla gave Barcelona some of their best players during the 2010s. What they accomplish even with that mentality is amazing.

Southampton should have been a top 10 club. Years of feeding other teams. At least the EPL besides MC becoming another Bayern is still more open.

I don’t dislike the relegation aspects of the sport. To give teams like Eibar in LL or of course what happened in the Championship this year is great.

I also like that they created another competition under the Europa League.

The only league that I can say handles equity with every team is the NFL. Of course then you have Cleveland making a joke of the salary cap by restructuring their QB contract.

Lutton Town going to the EPL is awesome! I wonder what they have to do to sustain their success, but they are a major reason promotion and relegation are awesome.

I am sad to see Leeds be relegated. Took a liking to them because of the American connection, but man the wheels fell off of their club. Interested to see what happens to Aaronson and Adams.

The rise and subsequent fall of Leicester is fascinating.

8. Likes:

M2 (05-30-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Lutton Town going to the EPL is awesome! I wonder what they have to do to sustain their success, but they are a major reason promotion and relegation are awesome.

I am sad to see Leeds be relegated. Took a liking to them because of the American connection, but man the wheels fell off of their club. Interested to see what happens to Aaronson and Adams.

The rise and subsequent fall of Leicester is fascinating.

Didn’t Leeds get burned out riding that hyper active type of offense they ran with their former coach. Who got them promoted. It was a version of the Denver Nuggets run and gun offense with Paul Westhead or the run and shoot offenses of the NFL.

That same coach. I know cannot get his name in my head. He’s now The coach for Uruguay NT. I’m excited that they have someone who isn’t afraid of offense. Especially when you have the players to do it.

Didn’t Leeds get burned out riding that hyper active type of offense they ran with their former coach. Who got them promoted. It was a version of the Denver Nuggets run and gun offense with Paul Westhead or the run and shoot offenses of the NFL.

That same coach. I know cannot get his name in my head. He’s now The coach for Uruguay NT. I’m excited that they have someone who isn’t afraid of offense. Especially when you have the players to do it.
    Bielsa. I'd compare him more to Doug Moe (whose crazy offensive Nuggets teams won a lot) than Westhead, who presided over the franchise's eventual fall. Though you're right about it being tough for a club to shift away from that model to something defensive-oriented.

Leeds would have made it if Adams wouldn’t have gotten hurt in March. Firing Marsch was probably stupid too.

12. Likes:

M2 (05-30-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Leeds would have made it if Adams wouldn’t have gotten hurt in March. Firing Marsch was probably stupid too.
    It seems like teams in the EPL are very reactionary when it comes to managerial decisions. If you are a club who expect to qualify for the Champions League, if you fall behind the manager is sacked. If you are a middle of the table club but are hanging in relegation zone, the manager is sacked. If you are a bottom feeder and you have a rough start to the season, the manager is sacked.

I get it in part because of the financial impact of Champions League or staying in the EPL, but too often it seems reactionary, when sticking with your original plan may be the best course of action.

It seems like teams in the EPL are very reactionary when it comes to managerial decisions. If you are a club who expect to qualify for the Champions League, if you fall behind the manager is sacked. If you are a middle of the table club but are hanging in relegation zone, the manager is sacked. If you are a bottom feeder and you have a rough start to the season, the manager is sacked.

I get it in part because of the financial impact of Champions League or staying in the EPL, but too often it seems reactionary, when sticking with your original plan may be the best course of action.
    They are often ridiculous decisions, mostly because they don’t have a real plan on the replacement. Leeds brought in a guy who ran an entirely different system and their GD went from -8 to -30 over like 14 games and then they had to panic fire him and try the Big Sam Hail Mary. Just stupid.

15. Likes:

M2 (05-30-2023)

It also intersects with a club mindset over there of, when something goes wrong, no matter how minor, blame the nearest Yank.

You should see what some owners in Italy do. Palermo went through 4 managers one year to avoid relegation.

NEVER bet against Sevilla in the Europa League.

What a season by AFC Richmond
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?