Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022-23 Euro Soccer Thread

Re: 2022-23 Euro Soccer Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Aubameyang is joining Chelsea. That is not good for Pulisic getting more game time minutes at Chelsea. He should follow Salah’s example and try to go to a good Serie A club but not so good he won’t get playing time. Maybe Napoli if they sell Osimhen, or Atalanta, or Roma.
    Is Auba good anymore? Not that it matters to Tuchel.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Is Auba good anymore? Not that it matters to Tuchel.
    He looked washed at Arsenal and rejuvenated at Barca. So it's anybody's guess.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He looked washed at Arsenal and rejuvenated at Barca. So it's anybody's guess.
    Valid question. We’ll find out soon enough. That club auditions and abandons strikers at an unprecedented rate. They burn through so much money on that position year after year.

Valid question. We’ll find out soon enough. That club auditions and abandons strikers at an unprecedented rate. They burn through so much money on that position year after year.
    Where have you gone Didier Drogba? Chelsea turns its lonely eyes to you.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Looks like Dest is going to AC Milan. Came out of nowhere but good move.
    You sound pretty sure about the move. Calabria and Hernandez are first team fixtures (and co-captains) at the wing backs so Dest is not going to start at those positions. I have read that Milan want to use him as a straight offensive winger. At wing Milan have Leao, who is a much higher level performer than Dest, and Messias, who is 31, but played surprisingly pretty well last year and seems to be first choice this year.
    They paid a lot for Dest, so they clearly want to utilize him, but the match I see is that their super sub Florenzi got hurt, and Dest is his replacement.
    I’d like to see Dest work on tracking back and positional defending. His offense is pretty strong, so maybe a switch to winger will help, but I thought he was seen as a wingback for USMNT.

You sound pretty sure about the move. Calabria and Hernandez are first team fixtures (and co-captains) at the wing backs so Dest is not going to start at those positions. I have read that Milan want to use him as a straight offensive winger. At wing Milan have Leao, who is a much higher level performer than Dest, and Messias, who is 31, but played surprisingly pretty well last year and seems to be first choice this year.
    They paid a lot for Dest, so they clearly want to utilize him, but the match I see is that their super sub Florenzi got hurt, and Dest is his replacement.
    I’d like to see Dest work on tracking back and positional defending. His offense is pretty strong, so maybe a switch to winger will help, but I thought he was seen as a wingback for USMNT.
    No matter how much Milan plays him it’ll be more than at Barcelona.

He does play wingback in Berhalters system, but he’s a pretty versatile player.

I wouldn't worry too much if Dest if playing more as a pure wing in his league. Italian clubs make sure everyone defends.

9. Likes:

Betterread (09-02-2022)

I wouldn't worry too much if Dest if playing more as a pure wing in his league. Italian clubs make sure everyone defends.
    Good point. If Dest can pick up defending skills, I picture an American Federico Chiesa. If he doesn’t figure out how to track back and help out defensively, he will be like a million Brazilian wingbacks with speed, dribbling ability and no help on defense.
    Last edited by Betterread; 09-02-2022 at 01:08 PM.

11. Likes:

M2 (09-02-2022)

Good point. If Dest can pick up defending skills, I picture an American Federico Chiesa. If he doesn’t figure out how to track back and help out defensively, he will be like a million Brazilian wingbacks with speed, dribbling ability and no help on defense.
    BTW, Brazilian wingbacks are my favorite. Arguably they've become Brazil's signature players in recent generations - Roberto Carlos, Cafu, Dani Alves, Marcelo.

BTW, Brazilian wingbacks are my favorite. Arguably they've become Brazil's signature players in recent generations - Roberto Carlos, Cafu, Dani Alves, Marcelo.
    These names are the benchmark (along with Maicon) but I can list seven who have played for Roma in the last 15 yrs and of them only Cafu could defend as well as attack - Bruno Peres, Maicon, Dodo, Emerson, Taddei (most of his career he was a midfielder, but the last two years he played wingback) and last but not least Cicinho.
    I’m not an expert on RM’s roster but I bet they have at least that many Brazilians trying their luck, and failing at holding down a starting wingback spot.

These names are the benchmark (along with Maicon) but I can list seven who have played for Roma in the last 15 yrs and of them only Cafu could defend as well as attack - Bruno Peres, Maicon, Dodo, Emerson, Taddei (most of his career he was a midfielder, but the last two years he played wingback) and last but not least Cicinho.
    I’m not an expert on RM’s roster but I bet they have at least that many Brazilians trying their luck, and failing at holding down a starting wingback spot.
    Honestly, it's a pretty short list for Madrid on wingbacks in this century. On the left it's Roberto Carlos->Gabriel Heinze->Marcelo->Ferland Mendy with Fabio Coentrao and Raul Bravo getting some run in there. On the right it's Michel Salgado->Sergio Ramos->Alvaro Arbeloa->Dani Carvajal with Cicinho, Miguel Torres, Danilo and Lucas Vazquez getting some run. Nacho deputized on both flanks at various points. The notorious Cicinho (one pack of smokes before the game, one after, booze to wash it all down) was really the only Brazilian they tried without much luck. Danilo did all right, but Carvajal was much better. They've had some Brazi kids cycle through their B team, but generally speaking those have been champagne positions for Madrid. They might start playing David Alaba on the left more often just because they can.

If you get a chance to watch Napoli in Serie A play, take it. They have a remarkable new talent - khvicha kvaratskhelia - he is a 21 yr old Georgian player in his first year there and he is the story of Serie A so far with 4 goals in 5 games. Reminds me of Ibra as he is a big guy but with sublime dribbling skills and a very powerful shot.

16. Likes:

M2 (09-04-2022)

Freiburg right now is sitting at the top of the Bundesliga. I don't expect that to last all season, but that club is an easy one to root for.

In Premier League news, ManU has spoiled Arsenal's perfect start. One ManU note, they seemed to turn things around the minute Tyrell Malacia replaced Luke Shaw.

In the first round of group matches in the champions league, Dinamo Zagreb beat Chelsea 1:0. The Croatians rode a wave of rabid fans, excellent dribbling and maniacal defending to win. A lot of firepower on Chelsea - Havertz, Aubameyang, Ziyech, Sterling, Pulisic - really never showed any special skill or game deciding plays. Their dribbling did not work very often. Dinamo kept their shape and made the spaces small for Chelsea. British teams are usually so focused on this tournament, so I am surprised at the result. Reece James and Jorginho had the best chances for Chelsea but were denied by the GK.
    Last edited by Betterread; 09-06-2022 at 03:02 PM.

In the first round of group matches in the champions league, Dinamo Zagreb beat Chelsea 1:0. The Croatians rode a wave of rabid fans, excellent dribbling and maniacal defending to win. A lot of firepower on Chelsea - Havertz, Aubameyang, Ziyech, Sterling, Pulisic - really never showed any special skill or game deciding plays. Their dribbling did not work very often. Dinamo kept their shape and made the spaces small for Chelsea. British teams are usually so focused on this tournament, so I am surprised at the result. Reece James and Jorginho had the best chances for Chelsea but were denied by the GK.
    Chelsea's kind of a mess so far.

Turn Off Ads?